Is it a Good and Acceptable Thing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mzee

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha Super Tenere
If I go to a dealer to service my bike and I take my stuff and ask only for labour from the dealer for which I pay, is it something that dealers will accept?  

I am so tired of paying unnecessary and exorbitant prices for items I could get next door for half of what dealers charge.  I will tell you why, because we consumers are not dumb.  We also look around and compare prices and we do our best to save some money.  There is no doubt that times are hard.  At one time only the rich rode bikes, now everyone rides them, but the culture remains that bike are a rich boy's toy.   The mentality is such that even road tolls charge bikers the same toll as two and half ton bakkie; try N14 for the experience.

Now to return to our subject of discussion, take brake pads for instance. For the bike I ride I pay about 900R for the original brake pads for one part and 1800 for the front set alone.  I sought the same product overseas and for 62$ I could buy a front set. Now including to courier plus duties, I still pay less than 900R for two sets.  How is that for a bargain.

Why should I pay a dealer 900R for one pair of brake pads when I can get the same product for 300R?  Why should I pay for the dealer to make exorbitant and obscene profits at my expense?  Let us discuss the matter so that we can help ourselves and help our dealers.  What do you say?