Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: CRF450 Steering damper - any good?  (Read 473 times)

Offline Motties

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • Was Darksider
CRF450 Steering damper - any good?
« on: December 14, 2013, 06:40:16 am »
Howzit guys, I am picking up my CRF this weekend.

Got a 2012 model with 150km on the clock with LR tank, full fmf, suspension for fat ous, rw kit and lots of protection etc for 55k.

I have never even heard of the steering stabilisers that are fitted on these bikes before, but it looks like a nifty little thing (at a glance). Are they any good? Sufficiently adjustable? Durable?

I have seen a few X's with Scott dampers, therefor the question
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 06:57:28 am by Darksider »
'16 KTM 300 XCW

Offline wolf skaap

Re: CRF450 Steering damper - any good?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 09:51:39 am »
Sounds like a sweet ride, congrats!

X's with scotts are probably pre-2008 and most likely to cater for poorly setup suspension
The damper on the 2008+ X is needed to calm the more aggressive geometry down. Which means that it corners better (than earlier models) but still stays stable at speed  >:D

I've had dampers on a couple of my bikes before and not having one fitted to the Honda doesn't phase me at all. If I had money to burn, I would spend it on other bling stuff.

I did 300km's this weekend on the X and that thing is so bad ass in the sweeping twisties!
I've had my X for a year or so and all a new X needs is SS intakes and suspension setup.

You'll be surprised at the power they put down.I had the (in)famous berg 550 and still feel that my X has more power than I need. It has a full DRD system and bone stock airbox.

Just note that the Honda needs to be ridden differently from a KTM. Chilly White from enduro 360 mentioned that riding a KTM is more like carving through turns; you kind of keep your speed up through turns. The Honda likes to be gunned into a turn (standing) and as you are in the turn, you sit down, lean the bike over (while sitting up vertically) and powering through. It took me a while to get this working but it is such fun if you get it right.
 ;D
Let the good times roll!

Offline Motties

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • Was Darksider
Re: CRF450 Steering damper - any good?
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 01:41:11 pm »
Lekker Wolf Skaap, I will ride it for the first time this weekend. I used to have a 530, if it is close to that bike I will be very chuffed.  :ricky:
'16 KTM 300 XCW