BABOON'S PASS 14-16,17,18 DEC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ExploreSA

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
OK, we're at home safe and sound - all of us.

In short (the detail report will follow later)

All GS/A and KTM 990 who started made it to 3km before the end of the 20.5km pass. No mechanical failure or shortcomings. All riders were just too pasted to carry on and it started to get late. The last 3km is also the toughest and will ask for a day on itself, at least.
The 2 G450X with Eddy and Alex went well until Alex fell and dislocated his shoulder. He could not ride further and resorted to Willem's Cruiser that followed the group.
I took Alex's bike and followed Eddy out the pass to our campsite.

The others removed all valuables from the four GS/A & KTM and walked the 3km to the main road to be collected by car. Arriving at the camp around 10pm

Next day Willem took Stephan an Manus to the exit and they walked down to the bikes while Johann, Eddy and myself took the Isuzu and entered the pass at low-end. Met up with Stephan and Manus on their way backtracking out the pass.
We carried on and at the bikes lifted mine onto the Isuzu and proceeded to the pass exit 3km on. My bike was the behind one, not the favourite. Very difficult ride our and quite some winching and highlift jacking to get through with the load. 8.5h from beginning to end with this recovery.

Yesterday Johann and me did the same to collect Vaughan’s bike. Eddy had to leave for home and we took two locals to help with road building, lifting, etc. Collected the bike and out the pass in exactly 6 hrs.

Can a 1200 GS/A do Bobbejaan's? YES!! Without a doubt. The rider is the weakest link and need at least two days with backup and sleep over in the pass.

I was fortunate to ride the pass out on a bike (albeit on 2 different models) and do the pass in a 4x4 without other company two days in a row.

YeeeHa!!

Everybody that joined are the heroes of the trip. Nobody could do it alone and what a team we had. High spirits all the way. Friends for life.

All of whom who said we cannot do it thank you too - that made us even more determined.
A special mention to the guys who wished us well. Like Subie (whom I never met) that sent a special SMS the morning of our departure to the pass.