Coming home slowly from Pretoria to Cape Town

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mungo Park 2

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
Thanks to all the WD's for great support and feedback on my going slowly somewhere report! But going somewhere also  means one has to return to the point of departure.

Unfortunately my return journey was delayed with a day after spotting a water leak a day or two before my planned return journey. I believe this is not unusual for the 60 GS? Being in P-town during the festive season means that a substantial amount of the shops (and workshops) are closed until 2nd Jan. A wild guess - most Pretoria-peeps were possibly heading home from the South Coast...

However, I was fortunate in getting hold of Emile from Bavarian Motorcycles BMW in Pretoria (Vermeulen st) while the workshop was still closed. He was extremely helpful and arranged for me to bring the bike to the workshop first thing on 2 January when they re-opened.

Seduction reigned on their showroom floor, rows and rows of it and I found myself feeling like a kid in a candy store. They look, smell and feel so good! And I kept on wondering why my lifestyle and income are not on par.

Despite my passion for Cape Town, Pretoria does have a charm of its own. Love the green views.

Although the financial implications of sorting the bike out ruined my holiday budget completely, I found what must have been the absolute bargain of this century. Whilst waiting for the guys to have the water pump seal and the front brake pad to be sorted I went looking for some serious consolation - coffee and toast.

The only place that looked alive nearby was this restaurant. I ordered coffee and scrambled eggs on toast. The funny look I got, kind of went past me. She told me that only Ricoffy was available. At that stage I didn't care - as long as it was warm, drinkable and remotely recognizable as coffee, it was OK.

It was only when I got my bill that I nearly choked. Believe it or not - R5,50 for the coffee (I can live with that), and R3,00 for scrambled egg on toast!!!! Yip, R2 for the egg and R1 for the toast. Proof included.

If you add chakalaka and beans - damage will be R11...

Finally i headed back to CT. This was to be my first long-distance solo journey and I was really looking forward to the challenge of doing it by myself. Even though I did miss the company on the way it still remained an incredible experience.

I decided on doing nearly the same route because it was such a pleasure with very little traffic. And somehow speedy four-wheelers are just not what one feels like encountering while cruising slowly.

For me the perfect farewell to Gauteng was - you're right - another ride over the Hartbeespoortdam!

I learnt an extremely valuable lesson near Wolmaranstad - the place with too many traffic officers. But it wasn't from our men in brown, who by the way did surprise me with a speeding fine exceeding the 60km urban area limit. As far as I was concerned, the only bit of life and construction I noticed was an ant hill....

The painful surprise came from a little bee that found it's way up my partly-nzipped jacket sleeve. Ouch and very ouch! It started swelling up very quickly and I could feel my throat not being ecstatic about this. It slowly started closing up and I knew something had to be done, especially when swallowing became a noticeable exercise.

A quick stop at the pharmacy for antihistamines saved the day. The sting turned nasty with my arm throbbing and my bracelet eventually stuck in the swelling. Even though it may not look like it, my arm basically doubled in size. Ever since then - ALL zips securely fastened. (Due to a previous incident with a bee, I started travelling with a neck-gator which is quite hot when stationary, but fairly comfortable whilst moving. And miles better than getting stung on the chin!)

Wolmaransstad is indeed a strange town. And I had to chuckle when I saw this for sale sign on a container. I wonder what Bokkie did to be put up with the cattle and sheep? And if any offers were made to buy Bokkie?

Obviously another landmark one can't miss, is the memorial dedicated to rose-carrying Bles Bridges just outside Bloemhof. And believe it or not - somebody has indeed recently put some red roses in the vase. One can't but help wondering if it's a dedicated fan or part of the maintenance staff.

I once again stayed over with Oom Karel and family in Hopetown. Partly because it was affordable (after the visit to Pretoria) and also because it gave me the grace to take the next two days slowly. Fortunately ESKOM powered up and the generator was put to rest.

I'm still amused by the traffic circle and one-way in this little village of hope.

Finally the rainy weather came to an end and I was able to see Victoria West in sunlight. Not much different to it being wet.

Britstown was yet another experience. I was greeted by a youngster who wanted to know where the "meneer" is. Why, I asked. Because there must be a meneer who rides this bike.
Hmm, sorry but no Meneer is riding this bike. I was his hero, as well as that of a group of kids sitting in the shade. It seems that is what they do in Britstown for entertainment.
He also told me that he rode a Yamaha on the farm where he worked. But he "broke it" and now the people are very cross with him. Somehow he just doesn't understand why that is the case and why he no longer is able to work on the farm. What to say?

The Mirage Restaurant is exactly what it says - a mirage.

Have I mentioned that I saw so many bikes...but all on trailers. Why, oh why..........????

With an arm still throbbing I decided to try and get as far as Matjiesfontein - at least have a great place to stay whilst feeling sore. Accommodation not badly priced at R290 a person. I was quite amused when I booked in and found this sign at the entrance. Did they know something about me that I didn't know?

The local tour guide is a Jack of all trades. He takes visitors on bus tours through the village, plays the bugle and can do a mean blues interpretation on the piano. 

One of the most welcoming sights - the Hex River Valley. The air is different and rejuvenating, and I know I'm home. Well, almost.

I guess the GS is a 'gentleman' as far as bikes are concerned. Just past Worcester I start hearing a very unsettling noise. The chain.

I always feel sorry for guys next to the road having to unpack ALL from the boot to get to the spare tyre. And here I had to do almost the same. Thanks to generous gifts from my family my little backpack was now stretched to way beyond capacity and tied to the seat. This, the top box and the seat had to come of in order to get the tools. Not great, but success in the end.

Got back to Cape Town, headed straight for TracMac in town and got chain and sprocket sorted. Thanks guys for helping me so quickly! Bike feels like new with a lovely X-chain. We are both ready for the next adventure!