Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: What do you think of our bike admission policy?  (Read 4001 times)

Offline HeeBs

Re: What do you think of our bike admission policy?
« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2013, 12:05:51 pm »
Why not allow bikes "WITH PRIOR PERMISSION" only?

This way, we need to call you and get permission, the rules can be explained beforehand and everyone knows what's expected of each party?
You will avoid nasty situations at the gate (mostly) and it won't be obvious that you favour one group over the other.
Also you'll get to know who to trust and who to get rid of.

When the Hells Angels club books and the WD's book, It's obvious that you will allow the Hells Angels in !  :biggrin:

Offline Shutter_Eye

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Richard Jessnitz
« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2013, 12:32:24 pm »

When the Hells Angels club books and the WD's book, It's obvious that you will allow the Hells Angels in !  :biggrin:

Anyone who's dumb enough to attempt our gravel roads on a Hardley won't get within 70km of us, so the Hells Angels will be asked for full upfront non-refundable payment for the accommodation, and we book other people in their place. :lol8: Kaching.
2 Wheels and 1 Camera...
"UNDERSTEER" is when you hit the fence with your front wheel.
"OVERSTEER" is when you hit the fence with your rear wheel.
"HORSEPOWER" is how fast you hit the fence.
"TORQUE" is how far you take the fence with you.

Offline lucas

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2013, 12:56:54 pm »
I'm not sure whether this is the right place to post this, but what the hell...

So we've struggled like mad in the past to find a way of accommodating bikers on our nature reserve (Witsand Kalahari Nature Reserve, Northern Cape) but at the same time keeping the @#$^% hooligans out.

Or admission policy is basically that we allow
A) Street-legal, 4 stroke bikes only.
B) No quads, scramblers and k@k like that. :patch:
C) Bikes that comply with the other rules (mainly the noise factor)

How it's written out is "Street-legal motorcycles only" Adventure riders over 60 only.
Obviously we have the right of admission reserved, so occasionally have to chase idiots out, even though they arrive on adventure bikes.

We'd like to allow adventure bikes on our reserve, but how on earth do we keep people happy AND keep the riff-raff out?

I can fully understand why so many reserves go the simple route and ban all bikes of all descriptions, but it's a shame to exclude all the people who are decent and responsible riders.

I could rant about bikes in nature reserves for days, so I'll shut up now. :biggrin: :peepwall:

Do you agree with our policy of an "adventure bikes only" kinda thing and what are your thoughts? (I'll appreciate the feedback as this is a always a headache to deal with.)

Offline pirata

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
« Reply #43 on: December 25, 2013, 05:27:13 pm »
I assume you have a speed limit in the park? So the bike NEEDS to have a speedo. That may be something worth checking?

Offline Shutter_Eye

• Pack Dog
  • Richard Jessnitz
« Reply #44 on: December 25, 2013, 05:36:40 pm »
I assume you have a speed limit in the park? So the bike NEEDS to have a speedo. That may be something worth checking?

Hmm... Haven't thought of that. Although the speeding is a whole different ball game and very difficult to monitor.
Thanks for the input. :thumleft:
2 Wheels and 1 Camera...

Offline Herklaas

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • Do it, you only live twice.
« Reply #45 on: December 25, 2013, 05:41:03 pm »
Here in Cape Town they will not allow you into a picnic/braai area called Eerste Steen, the first turn-off to the beach North of Big Bay, and it is no reserve as far as I know. I wanted to join some friends, and they showed me the sign. No go.
The Tiger 800 is not really a rat bike, of hoe.
Yamaha 50, Yamaha 400, 2 x Yamaha DR 350 LC, Honda CBX 550 F2, Honda TransAlp 650, Triumph Tiger 800 Xc,
Now 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 Xcx.and.. my favorite... 1996 Yamaha Tenere 660 5 valve single.And, the latest 1989 Yamaha Super Tenere 750.

Offline SGB

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • 1190R / 1200 GS LC / Husaberg TE 300
    • DS Rider Training
« Reply #46 on: December 25, 2013, 05:58:13 pm »

Hmm... Haven't thought of that. Although the speeding is a whole different ball game and very difficult to monitor.
Thanks for the input. :thumleft:

First gear idle speed only.... Like we always do....
Witsand is a great DS destination.  If you have not been, do it.  Or join us in July of every year.
www.countrytrax.co.za

Riding a bike is not just about riding the bike....
Do not believe everything you think....

Offline Titanic

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Life begins at 260.
« Reply #47 on: December 25, 2013, 06:33:00 pm »
How about a rule like this:
Bikes only allowed if booked at least a week in advance, R3 000 deposit to be returned a week after departure on condition of no complaints and good behaviour.
That way you should only attract responsible people and no chancers.

I would not have an issue with such a rule because I know I can behave. ( and will make damn sure the people with me as well, otherwise I lose my deposit - LOL)

Offline JacoB

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
« Reply #48 on: December 25, 2013, 08:50:54 pm »
First of all, well done on your pragmatic approach.   :laughing4:

I have been amazed at the ridicules blanket approach many establishments take, despite all the research that shows the DS bike market being a major tourism growth area, much like the 4x4 boom in recent years.

I last year December had a very unpleasant experience at Sodwana when, after making arrangements in advance with the lodge where we would be staying, and arranging to be collected with a trailer at the gate, park officials refused us entry after having travelled 700km.

In their wisdom, they somehow got to the conclusion that if I arrive on my bike, I would become a different person than when I arrive in my 4x4.  Arguments that bikes are more noisy than the many off-road vehicles, including tractors etc., also did not have credibility and only showed that they have not given their policy thorough thought.

We eventually got in after much stress and escalation to management, needless to say, we have not been back, not on the bike and not with the 4x4 either.  Not the result you wish to have for a tourism dependent establishment.

I say, prosecute the offenders, don't persecute me just because I choose to use an alternative form of transport.

I fully support your approach:

1. Street legal, number plates, licence, etc.  if a can legally ride it to your gate, then there should be no reason not to let me in.
2. That implies that the bike should be complying to noise levels.  Easy to test at the gate.
3. All the rules apply, if I would have complied with my 4x4, then why would I not comply when I use my bike.

We recently had the opportunity to ride through Phinda nature reserve, what a magical, experience!   SA, including our nature reserves, could become the ultimate bike ride destination in the world, if only we can get our officials to evolve their thinking.

Personally I would appreciate a game drive service in your neck of the woods.  Those sand dune roads would kill me on the S10.  :eek7:

Keep up the good work, you are on to something.
Honda MBX 50, Yamaha DT 125, Honda XLR 500, Kawasaki KLE 500, KTM 990 Adventure, Yamaha S10

Offline Shutter_Eye

• Pack Dog
  • Richard Jessnitz
« Reply #49 on: December 26, 2013, 08:37:53 am »

3. All the rules apply, if I would have complied with my 4x4, then why would I not comply when I use my bike.

I wish more bikers had that mentality. :thumleft:

The unfortunate reality is that many people  have this idea that if their bike can go there, we can go there.

Personally I would appreciate a game drive service in your neck of the woods.  Those sand dune roads would kill me on the S10.  :eek7:

Keep up the good work, you are on to something.

Well if you can handle the gravel road to get to us then riding inside is a dream - our internal roads are well maintained for all vehicle types, even low sedans. There's no sand and no tricky terrain.

On another note:
A VERY common thing that I've seen a hell of a lot of bikers do (even some who otherwise ride responsibly) is ride their bikes between the vehicle barrier poles and park them right at the front door.

Doing crap like that is the fastest way to get the authorities annoyed. When you are in a reserve your bike is as broad as a Hilux. Treat it like that - park in the designated parking areas, there's no need to park right against the front door.
If you want bikes to be treated equally with cars, then ride it equally too - people seem to forget that part.
2 Wheels and 1 Camera...

Offline Pistonpete

• Shop Mods
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Live to Ride...Ride to Live
« Reply #50 on: December 26, 2013, 11:08:03 am »
9 out ten bikes are going to have a pipe on. Its up to the rider to respect the environment by keeping down the revs. A handy sign and pamphlet should ensure complience. Free game drives for bikers will only enhance this......good opportunities...... :thumleft:
'Routine is the thief of time'