Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: What do you think of our bike admission policy?  (Read 4007 times)

Offline Shutter_Eye

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Richard Jessnitz
What do you think of our bike admission policy?
« on: December 22, 2013, 10:56:56 am »
I'm not sure whether this is the right place to post this, but what the hell...

So we've struggled like mad in the past to find a way of accommodating bikers on our nature reserve (Witsand Kalahari Nature Reserve, Northern Cape) but at the same time keeping the @#$^% hooligans out.

Or admission policy is basically that we allow
A) Street-legal, 4 stroke bikes only.
B) No quads, scramblers and k@k like that. :patch:
C) Bikes that comply with the other rules (mainly the noise factor)

How it's written out is "Street-legal motorcycles only"
Obviously we have the right of admission reserved, so occasionally have to chase idiots out, even though they arrive on adventure bikes.

We'd like to allow adventure bikes on our reserve, but how on earth do we keep people happy AND keep the riff-raff out?

I can fully understand why so many reserves go the simple route and ban all bikes of all descriptions, but it's a shame to exclude all the people who are decent and responsible riders.

I could rant about bikes in nature reserves for days, so I'll shut up now. :biggrin: :peepwall:

Do you agree with our policy of an "adventure bikes only" kinda thing and what are your thoughts? (I'll appreciate the feedback as this is a always a headache to deal with.)
2 Wheels and 1 Camera...
"UNDERSTEER" is when you hit the fence with your front wheel.
"OVERSTEER" is when you hit the fence with your rear wheel.
"HORSEPOWER" is how fast you hit the fence.
"TORQUE" is how far you take the fence with you.

Offline Eendstop

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Too many fools around
Re: What do you think of our bike admission policy?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 11:22:36 am »
And people on touring bikes?  The criteria should maybe described as "street legal, registered and licenced bikes" with a proviso that it should not be noisy.....no one with an aftermarket exhaust allowed........ so there you with the Akropovic noise box on the bike, go home >:D
Thought so, tough behind a keyboard, but no balls.......

Offline Shutter_Eye

• Pack Dog
  • Richard Jessnitz
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 11:32:28 am »
And people on touring bikes?  The criteria should maybe described as "street legal, registered and licenced bikes" with a proviso that it should not be noisy.....no one with an aftermarket exhaust allowed........ so there you with the Akropovic noise box on the bike, go home >:D

Like we explained to our reception staff (they're not bike-savvy)
"If it has flickers and a number plate and doesn't sound like a crappy lawn-mower or an ANC Navara - let it in." :peepwall:
2 Wheels and 1 Camera...
"UNDERSTEER" is when you hit the fence with your front wheel.
"OVERSTEER" is when you hit the fence with your rear wheel.
"HORSEPOWER" is how fast you hit the fence.
"TORQUE" is how far you take the fence with you.

Offline Bill the Bong

• Coffee Monster
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Cagiva Elefant 900
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 11:37:35 am »

You'll have to be pretty good to get a touring bike to Witsand.  In fact, to get a GS to Witsand when the roads are kak, will require you to be wide awake. 

Offline Gérrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Teelhond
  • Wiff a Sidecar
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2013, 11:39:39 am »
Only allow WD's, then you know you won't get any riff-raff  :pot:
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2013, 11:46:30 am »

So we've struggled like mad in the past to find a way of accommodating bikers on our nature reserve (Witsand Kalahari Nature Reserve, Northern Cape) but at the same time keeping the @#$^% hooligans out.

Obviously we have the right of admission reserved, so occasionally have to chase idiots out, even though they arrive on adventure bikes.

We'd like to allow adventure bikes on our reserve, but how on earth do we keep people happy AND keep the riff-raff out?

I can fully understand why so many reserves go the simple route and ban all bikes of all descriptions, but it's a shame to exclude all the people who are decent and responsible riders.

I could rant about bikes in nature reserves for days, so I'll shut up now. :biggrin: :peepwall:

Do you agree with our policy of an "adventure bikes only" kinda thing and what are your thoughts? (I'll appreciate the feedback as this is a always a headache to deal with.)

Rules out 2S Dan...  :peepwall:  :ricky:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Offshore

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2013, 11:47:40 am »
The criteria should maybe described as "street legal, registered and licenced bikes" with a proviso that it should not be noisy.....no one with an aftermarket exhaust allowed........ so there you with the Akropovic noise box on the bike, go home >:D
That is fair Comment.
Current Bikes
KTM 790 R Rally
KTM 990
Harley Davidson Deuce
Aprilia Moto 65

Online luv2ride

• Strand brak
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Strand brak
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2013, 11:48:06 am »
There is 3 easy letters to also add to the ban list....mostly a bunch of hooligans :pot:  :pot:

BMW S1000XR and BMW R1200R
BMW F800GS - sold, Honda NC700X -Sold; BMW1150GSA -sold
BMW F650 twin - sold
BMW F800ST - in bike heaven Kawasaki KLR 650 - sold Kawasaki ER6F -sold Yamaha FZ6 - sold BMW 1200GS - sold BMW 650 Dakar - sold Yamaha XJ750 - stolen Honda MT5 - given away as scrap

Online Kamanya

• Global Moderator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Andrew to everyone
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2013, 11:51:44 am »
Put this in your brochure and on your website. Tell your staff to hand this to each rider and ask them to sign it.

"You are entering a reserve. Motorcycles have a mostly undeservedly bad reputation for making the experience unpleasant for others.

Going off the roads, racing and sliding the bike, loud exhausts, revving at night are just some examples of our past experience. Despite this we really do understand this has been the examples set by an uncaring few. Sadly you all get painted with this brush.

With the greatest respect to women, we would appreciate if you rode like a girl in our reserve and help us keep this reserve open to all to enjoy"

Don't only make rules to address the issue. Address the issue directly too.
I wonder where that gravel road goes? And that, has usually made all the difference. (Apologies to Mr Frost)

You want to have a stable Picture & Video host?

https://secure.smugmug.com/signup.mg?Coupon=7ovFBQhdrwnZw

Offline RobC

• Stoepkakkertjie
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2013, 12:02:00 pm »

Like we explained to our reception staff (they're not bike-savvy)
"If it has flickers and a number plate and doesn't sound like a crappy lawn-mower or an ANC Navara - let it in." :peepwall:
Ek dink julle belied is 100% korrek.

However an after market pipe used properly may sometimes be just as quite as an OEM. :deal:

Gaan nog eendag kom inloer... maar is besig om 'n "Wild vriedelike" snubber te ontwerp vir my Xorst. Sal dit kom uitoets by julle vir terugvoer. :thumleft:
The idea is to fit the device  it prior to entry to any game area, speeds in such places are only slightly faster than a jog in any case and having sound restriction fitted does not impair the bike at all and would make the experience so much better for all.
If it works I may have a sale-able item! :sip:

Offline punisher

• DILLIGAF
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2013, 12:05:59 pm »
 O0
just wanna have fun , and ride ... and ....... ride

Online Bensien

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2013, 01:28:36 pm »
Just refuse entry to KTM's
Why do things that only happen to stupid people always happen to me?

Offline laurika

• hoessenaam van hydrabad...
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • helmet hair is very cool....everyone says so
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2013, 02:11:12 pm »
Wonderful that u will let bikes in...we did a lovely spot of game viewing from our bikes this morning...guard just waved us in...what a pleasure!

"There is no happiness for him who does not travel...Therefore, wander... The fortune of him who is sitting sits, it rises when he rises, it sleeps when he sleeps, it moves when he moves... Therefore, wander!"...The Rig Veda - 800 - 600 BC..

bmw F650GS/ XT 660 R

Offline sidetrack

• Keep it real, keep it a single
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2013, 02:29:40 pm »
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 02:39:09 pm by sidetrack »
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline Goose

• NAPIER Country life is great!
  • Shop Mods
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2013, 02:33:34 pm »
The criteria should maybe described as "street legal, registered and licenced bikes" with a proviso that it should not be noisy.....no one with an aftermarket exhaust allowed........ so there you with the Akropovic noise box on the bike, go home >:D
That is fair Comment.

I'd agree on this as well........... Nature Reserve = Animals ..... loud pipes and noisy bikes will defeat the object of going into a reserve to see and enjoy the animals....
"Life is a Waste of Time..... Time is a Waste of Life........ Get Wasted all the Time and have the Time of your Life"  ‹(•¿•)›

Offline JC

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2013, 03:09:26 pm »
I won't take my road legal bike into a nature reserve where people are watching game. Damn thing too noisy. But I would appreciate it if I am allowed to ride to the campsite and park it.

get a cheap DB meter at the gate and set an acceptable standard
http://dx.com/p/tecman-tm810m-mini-1-4-lcd-digital-sound-level-meter-w-microphone-light-grey-dark-grey-black-229311

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2013, 06:52:19 pm »

Instead of trying to restrict the type of bike, when its actually the type of person you are trying to exclude, why don't you put up a sign that says something like:

1) Motorcyclists are not allowed in general due to previous bad experiences with hooligans who have no respect for animals or other people.
2) However at the sole discretion of the gate attendant they make exceptions.  They do not have to explain their decision as right of admission is strictly reserved.
3) In the rare case an exception is made, the motorcycle may only be ridden directly to the camp ground and parked there for the duration of the stay.

That way you can leave it up to the guard, if they don't like the look of people they can refuse and just point to the sign without any further explanation necessary.  As managers you can coach the guards what types to allow and what types to exclude.
Husqvarna '09 610TE - Great Bike!

I just finished a SciFi novel Extinction: Task Team, download the preview.

Offline DikZol

• Race Dog
  • Jer 1:17-19
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2013, 07:03:34 pm »
I like the ideas on the rules, but I guess the most important thing is to enforce it properly and simply remove the bad apples.  Get well known for being strict and the bad boys should stay away.  It is expensive to book a week(end) and then be asked to leave the first night.

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2013, 07:10:37 pm »
I think you should keep it to adventure/street legal bikes only, with a warning to bikers to respect the environment and others around them.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 07:11:13 pm by BlueBull2007 »
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2013, 07:21:50 pm »
Look, a guy entering a reserve on a bike or in a car and does not realise that he/she should take it easy, should not be there in the 1st place.

Problem is that by the time you know he should not have been there, he's inside.

Ban all bikes. :pot: