Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Please share your ideas  (Read 1597 times)

Offline wolf skaap

Please share your ideas
« on: December 23, 2013, 08:10:13 am »
OK please allow me one question?

What is the purpose of the Husky forum?
Short description of how I understand it:
Its an open forum where pro's and con's are shared. This allows anyone to make an informative decision about a specific topic.

Example, Ettiene2T pointed out that one can only buy OEM parts for the Husky in SA (if you can find stock) and that cheaper aftermarket options are not available. This post was seen as negative and simply deleted.
This is what I've noticed last week:
A complete 610 chain guide costs R1500. There is not one in country.
For Honda,Yam,KTM, I can choose from 3 different aftermarket options and the "primary drive"guide costs only R415.

I understand an open forum as a place where topic related truth's carry the highest priority- even if they hurt.
As I have indicated before this is a dedicated thread for Husky TE610 owners and other interested WD's who have positive contributions or questions to post on General Maintenance
If I'm wrong and the intention of this forum is to only share the positives, then I'm afraid that I've stumbled into one of those obscured corners of the internet.
 :patch:
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 08:22:32 am by wolf skaap »
Let the good times roll!

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
    • www.extinction.co.za
Re: Please share your ideas
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 08:36:46 am »
You are trying to make Big Dom go rogue arent you?  :biggrin:

Hopefully he wont delete this thread.

But I can sort of understand why he gets irritated:

1) If you are just bored and stirring well then you may have a well deserved break from the forum in your future judging by the recent past.

2) If you are genuinely asking the question, then:
          a) Why the inflammatory wording?
          b) Why do you care about Husky spares when you don't own one?  Are you interested in getting a bike?
          c) Why do non Husky owners keep on trying to insist that there is a "spares problem", but the spares are actually available at fairly reasonable prices (certainly compared to BMW - which is my reference)?  You cant really use the recent move of the warehouse (as much as you might want to) as evidence of "the spares problem" IMO.
          d) Why do non Husky riders keep coming here and try tell us how many things are wrong with our bikes?  I don't go to the BMW thread and tell them how little I like their bikes? 

Its these sorts of things that make it difficult to take your question seriously IMO.

To try and answer your question legitimately:

Husky was a small brand world wide in terms of sales units per year, so the aftermarket parts industry did not focus on them to the same extent as other brands.  But I think that is about to change with the new ownership and the scale of the vision that seems to be there.
Husqvarna '09 610TE - Great Bike!

I just finished a SciFi novel Extinction: Task Team, download the preview.

Offline wolf skaap

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 08:57:38 am »
Thanks for your reply!
I did not intend to have any inflammatory wording so please excuse me for that.

I care quite a bit about the spares availability as have almost every other random person.. hence the stigma around parts availability. The fact that I don't own a Husky should be a moot point?

Did you read Ettiene's  posts in the maintenance thread? They seemed to be legit, fact based statements/questions about him digging the Huskies but still unsure about parts.
We all know that the 610 (and most huskies) are great regarding reliability and subsequently very few questions are directed at that. When it comes to spares it is still an open wound which is not allowed to be pointed out as it is mainly negative.

Somehow it is just unacceptable to concede that in most cases you will have to pay more and wait longer for a Husky part. This is not THAT bad, but it sure can be frustrating if you want to ride and have to pay 3 times the price for a simple yet vital item like a chain guide.

Whether I own a Husky or people think that I fell off one as a child (I loll'ed at that comment!), is irrelevant.
I tried to retro-fit a Honda chain guide to a 610 in an effort to continue with our planned ride. I don't have to be an owner to tell you that if your chain guide is nearing it's end and you have not ordered one in October, you are going to sit at home during the holidays.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 09:07:38 am by wolf skaap »
Let the good times roll!

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Forum Whore
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 09:05:05 am »
OK, sorry, about the inflammatory question  :thumleft:

My honest answer is that for me certainly there has never been a "spares problem" but ever since I joined this forum non Husky owners have been insisting that there is - which gets a bit tiresome.

I have orderd all sorts of things for my bike, and have never waited longer than two weeks and the prices were in most cases half of what I would have expected from BMW (my previous bike).  Thats the honest truth.

I understand the frustrations around the recent warehouse move, but parts are flowing again - so you have to give them credit for that.

As far as after market parts go - its a fact that we have less choice, its just a reflection of Husky's worldwide market share at the moment - but as I said I think that is about to change.

I cant remember Etienne's post but do remember that I didn't think his complaint was valid.  But that's just my opnion.

Offline wolf skaap

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 09:18:57 am »
OK, sorry, about the inflammatory question  :thumleft:
No worries  ;)

Thanks for your reply.
I see the merit in your BMW vs Husky parts statement. I do however think that aftermarket parts play a huge roll.

I have literally only needed to order an OEM part 2 years ago for my Berg's water pump. The rest have all been aftermarket: chain sliders, guides, oil filters, shims bearings etc. These parts have kept my rides rolling and as stated, are in many cases way cheaper than OEM.

As far as after market parts go - its a fact that we have less choice, its just a reflection of Husky's worldwide market share at the moment - but as I said I think that is about to change.
+1. This will be problem solved in my books!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 09:20:23 am by wolf skaap »
Let the good times roll!

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Forum Whore
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 10:03:34 am »
Whether I own a Husky or people think that I fell off one as a child (I loll'ed at that comment!), is irrelevant.

:patch:  :biggrin:

Online sidetrack

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2013, 11:55:52 am »
Chain guide R1500 ! Cant be as I bought a complete unit for a 510/450 that fit my 610 for about R400.
Little by little, one travels far

J.R.R Tolkien
Ride reports :
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=134175.0 Penge's pass and the Old Forest http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=9421.0 - Orange Atlantic adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=7514.0 - 805 km day trip http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=20260.0 - East Cape Bash http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=70199.0 - Two KTM thumpers head north

Online sidetrack

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2013, 12:15:24 pm »
Wolfskaap just buy a 610, you know it's like a XR600 only better. And if you are waiting for spares you can still ride the CRF. The Karoo awaits  :ricky:
Little by little, one travels far

J.R.R Tolkien
Ride reports :
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=134175.0 Penge's pass and the Old Forest http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=9421.0 - Orange Atlantic adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=7514.0 - 805 km day trip http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=20260.0 - East Cape Bash http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=70199.0 - Two KTM thumpers head north

Offline Straatkat

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2013, 02:52:57 pm »
Rats!, they are everywhere.
18 till I die.
If hard work pays, show me rich donkey.

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2013, 04:28:15 pm »
Rats!, they are everywhere.

Indeed they are!  8)

Thanks Alan for your patience and diplomacy in responding to the "one question".  ::)

My experience in terms of Husky spares has been identical to Alan's  :3some:

Most Husky purchasers go into ownership of this marque with their eyes wide open  :o

There is a healthy market in many aftermarket parts for Husky including chain guides - readily and affordably available on mail order. Most Husky owners know this and are happy with the situation.  :3some:

Three readily available top quality alternative chain guides ....

« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 04:42:45 pm by BiG DoM »
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701R  Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  Yamaha YZ250X BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

:ricky:

Offline HK

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2013, 05:00:11 pm »
I agree when the warehouse is fully operational , the parts problem will be solved . And I got my parts from Primrose on Saturday (all except the chain guide) , they really are awesome bunch op people and Max went out of his way to help me . After this expiernce I don't have any worries about backup from Primrose. 

The reason why my chain guide rubber is worn , is also just a mis alignment of the guide , easy fix .

Big Dom : were can I get that Chain Guide , looks good ?

Husqvarna 610 TE
Yamaha YZ 450F

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2013, 06:12:10 pm »
I agree when the warehouse is fully operational , the parts problem will be solved . And I got my parts from Primrose on Saturday (all except the chain guide) , they really are awesome bunch op people and Max went out of his way to help me . After this expiernce I don't have any worries about backup from Primrose.  

The reason why my chain guide rubber is worn , is also just a mis alignment of the guide , easy fix .

Big Dom : were can I get that Chain Guide , looks good ?

HK thought you were selling your new bike that you seemed to like? I hope the brand bashing trolls and naysayers have not put you off!

The BRP is probably the most popular: http://brpmoto.com/products?page=shop.browse&category_id=2301
TM also very good.
Good prices on e-bay.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 07:38:21 pm by BiG DoM »
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701R  Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  Yamaha YZ250X BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

Offline HK

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2013, 06:41:47 pm »
Big Dom ,

There is one troll that gives me a lot of greef !!!

Thanks for the info on the chain slider , might keep the Husky and just get a plastic for the technical rides ( if finances allow it) , seems were doing more technical these days .
Husqvarna 610 TE
Yamaha YZ 450F

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2013, 06:52:01 pm »
Big Dom ,

There is one troll that gives me a lot of greef !!!

Thanks for the info on the chain slider , might keep the Husky and just get a plastic for the technical rides ( if finances allow it) , seems were doing more technical these days .

Zipty also carry the Tm slider and other lekker Husky parts: http://www.ziptyracing.com/husqvarna/?sort=featured&page=1

I understand what you are saying about the technical stuff - that is why I also have a 450 plastic  :3some:  I have learnt that no one scoot will do it all as well as the specific tool. I have often likened a GS/DS to a Leatherman or Swiss Army knife - it can do a multitool number of things but never as well as the actual proper tool. If you can keep the Husky do it - you will not be sorry.

Trolls be damned.  >:D

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Forum Whore
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2013, 08:14:10 pm »
If you are going to get a plastic then might as well go down to 250-300. 

But even then I had a CR250.  Honda quality and power, but like most Honda's Ive ridden handled like crap, and went like hell.  Was constantly trying to toss you off in corners and bounced all over the show in technical terrain.  It was made for going flat out round an MX track which it was Ok'ish at but in anything else it was nightmare!

I'm probably just as fast round an  medium level MX track on my 610 to be honest (which says something about my skill I suppose).  And LOTS faster through ordinary technical terrain on my Husky.  Simply because the Husky handles better, is far more forgiving, and has oodles of low down torque so it just chugs over all sorts of stuff without you having to worry about it.

What I'm trying to say is that to get a better bike for technical stuff than the 610 isnt that straight forward IMO.  I don't thing a 450 will too much of an improvement in most cases.  If had to look for something, I would look at a KDX250 or a KTM 300 2stroke or something like that.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 08:19:25 pm by alanB »

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2013, 08:33:35 pm »
I would not disagree - again would be horses for courses. The 200-350 class is wide open with options these days with 2T and 4T options.

Offline Straatkat

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2013, 09:27:06 pm »
It's all about weight and good suspension, these 250/300 class bikes are around 100kg and the KTM or Gas Gas (or a  small Husky for that matter) has very good suspension. But you are going to miss the torque of the 610
It's horses for courses, but the 610 is a very good all rounder, maybe do a course and learn to ride it better. I am not suggesting taking a 1200GS over Baboons Pass, but at 140kg the Husky is quite nimble.
When the terrain deteriorate to carrying a bike, I would prefer carrying a backpack rather! Then you are not riding any more, sukkeling comes to mind.
18 till I die.
If hard work pays, show me rich donkey.

Offline HK

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2013, 11:05:18 pm »
Straatkat - I am not saying that the 610 can't do technical , my point is just that I can do it with the 610 but It takes longer and the bike takes a fair bit of punishment , and I don't want do damage the 610 by working it like a farm tractor . People are different and enjoy different rides , like myself and a few others enjoy the unexpected nature can deal. A plastic works better in those conditions .

And presently we are doing more of those kind of rides . 

Maybe come join us for a ride and get to know us , and if you still feel I need to take lessons to ride the bike better , we can talk 😄
Husqvarna 610 TE
Yamaha YZ 450F

Offline wolf skaap

« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2013, 11:09:33 am »
Chain guide R1500 ! Cant be as I bought a complete unit for a 510/450 that fit my 610 for about R400.
Relax.
HK het gese dat primrose hom soveel ge-quote het.
Let the good times roll!

Offline wolf skaap

« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2013, 11:14:58 am »
Thanks for all the replies.
It's true that aftermarket spares are available. Lets just hope that the shop down the road will start carrying them, now that KTM is sort of in command.

You lot are SO defensive its actually silly. Chill I'm not saying your bike sucks OK, it's a great bike for most riders!!

For you HK, I do feel that a 450 is in a different league (if you can ride it well), and I know you can.
Let the good times roll!