Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: TE 610 Airboxectomy  (Read 2696 times)

Offline HK

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
Re: TE 610 Airboxectomy
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2014, 09:17:47 pm »
Looks good , 👍
Husqvarna 610 TE
Yamaha YZ 450F

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2014, 09:23:50 pm »
Wow those Ultrabats must be small, where is it ? Is that a fuel injection setup unit below the seat ? Mod looks good  :thumleft:
[/quote]

Sorry the Ultrabatt was out at the time I took the pic but fits perfectly with space for the Uni. I will take a pic with it in place - was using an U400 but now two of the new MultiMighty's - takes up about half the space of the OEM. Ja what you see is a JT Power Commander.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 09:26:34 pm by BiG DoM »
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701R  Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  Yamaha YZ250X BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

:ricky:

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Forum Whore
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2014, 07:29:45 am »
Hi Dom

I was skeptical when I first heard about this, but its turning out better than I thought it would  :thumleft:

A couple of questions:

1)  Have you had a chance to ride the bike yet?  Did the change in intake manifold volumes affect the bike's performance (torque curve etc?)
2) Will that pipe collapse under suction - especially where it curves around the frame?
3) How durable is the pipe in terms of developing cracks or tearing etc

Lastly, what are you doing with the old parts?  If you dont need them I would maybe be interested in them because I have some ideas about modifying the original airbox, it would be nice to experiment on a spare.
Husqvarna '09 610TE - Great Bike!

I just finished a SciFi novel Extinction: Task Team, download the preview.

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2014, 07:47:20 am »
Hi Dom

I was skeptical when I first heard about this, but its turning out better than I thought it would  :thumleft:

A couple of questions:

1)  Have you had a chance to ride the bike yet?  Did the change in intake manifold volumes affect the bike's performance (torque curve etc?)
2) Will that pipe collapse under suction - especially where it curves around the frame?
3) How durable is the pipe in terms of developing cracks or tearing etc

Lastly, what are you doing with the old parts?  If you dont need them I would maybe be interested in them because I have some ideas about modifying the original airbox, it would be nice to experiment on a spare.

Hi Allen

I have not ridden the bike yet - front end been off to do the steering head bearings and I now see some play in the rear linkages  (strangely you do not notice it when the bike is on a stand and the shock is extended as it applies force to the struts but when you start lowering it and it takes up some weight there is quite some lateral play on the dog bones/wishbone ... need to drop them an see what gives ... hopefully can be serviced and play taken up). Bike starts and runs great with no apparent difference. I have kept the old airbox in case I want to return it to standard but also sacrificed one part - I used the rubber flange cut from the intake to air box and in so doing have kept the standard intake diameter and good seal and the flare out matches the 3" tubing almost exactly. The tubing is tough - it is designed for use on turbo car engines and has integrated wire coil reinforcing running the length. It is neat stuff which I first saw at a car spares and custom place - it concertinas and bends and keeps its shape but can returned to its compressed state just by pushing it back. Definitely will not collapse on itself and I cannot see it holing easily.

At one stage I had thought of making a mould and modding the airbox so there is intake up near the top like the 630 but just seemed like such a mission for a generally flawed unit anyway. I am sure it could be done though.

Anyway will report when all together and have taken it out some.  :thumleft:
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701R  Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  Yamaha YZ250X BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

Offline sidetrack

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2014, 09:26:42 am »
Wow those Ultrabats must be small, where is it ? Is that a fuel injection setup unit below the seat ? Mod looks good  :thumleft:

Sorry the Ultrabatt was out at the time I took the pic but fits perfectly with space for the Uni. I will take a pic with it in place - was using an U400 but now two of the new MultiMighty's - takes up about half the space of the OEM. Ja what you see is a JT Power Commander.
[/quote]
Slightly off topic, can you set the power curve with the commander and how is this related to the PU kit ?
Little by little, one travels far

J.R.R Tolkien
Ride reports :
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=134175.0 Penge's pass and the Old Forest http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=9421.0 - Orange Atlantic adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=7514.0 - 805 km day trip http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=20260.0 - East Cape Bash http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=70199.0 - Two KTM thumpers head north

Offline Rough Rider

• Hang time
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2014, 09:33:27 am »

Slightly off topic, can you set the power curve with the commander and how is this related to the PU kit ?
[/quote]

I also have one fitted and it transformed the bike (it is like a jet kit for an EFI bike) it is not related to the PU kit which works by removing the lambda sensor from the exhaust.

From JD Jetting site.

"Dyno and field tested, the Power Surge 6X will allow correction for humidity, temperature, air pressure, along with race fuels and motor modifications. The tuner adjusts in a matter of seconds in 6 zones, including an accelerator pump feature for more throttle snap response. The tuner can add or subtract fuel from the injection system. Conditions like rich or lean running, and stalling from flame-out at low revs can be corrected. The Power Surge 6X stays mounted on the motorcycle or quad and is easy to understand and adjust.

The Power Surge 6X is a next generation performance tuning product for modern EFI systems. JDJetting's testing and research will provide the performance you need.

JDJetting Power Surge 6X fuel injection tuner:
-Increase power
-Improve throttle response
-6 levels of fuel injection tuning
-Adjustable accelerator pump surge circuit
-Easy to adjust at the track or off road
-Tuning logic similar to a carburetor
-Installs in minutes
-Recommended settings included"
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 09:36:41 am by Rough Rider »
Current rides: 2015 WR250F / 2016 690R / 2017 701SM

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2014, 10:41:03 am »
As said - the PU just allows the 610 to be normal rather than strangled and suffocated (puts it in open loop). The JD Tuner is a great piece of kit. Managed to pick mine up basically unused taken off a 511. JD confirmed it was same unit and the basic settings. There is at least one thread on CH regarding various settings but basically once tuned in you leave it alone. JD have a long history state side for being tuning boffins and their jets are legendary.  :3some:

Offline Rough Rider

• Hang time
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2014, 11:16:48 am »
As said - the PU just allows the 610 to be normal rather than strangled and suffocated (puts it in open loop). The JD Tuner is a great piece of kit. Managed to pick mine up basically unused taken off a 511. JD confirmed it was same unit and the basic settings. There is at least one thread on CH regarding various settings but basically once tuned in you leave it alone. JD have a long history state side for being tuning boffins and their jets are legendary.  :3some:

I have one of their Jet kits in my RM and it transformed the bike; one of the best RM's around, it skriks for niks  :ricky:
Current rides: 2015 WR250F / 2016 690R / 2017 701SM

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2014, 11:49:06 am »
As some of you may have realised I am a addicted farkleologist and cannot leave anything standard.  >:D  Just as well I am not into Harleys  :patch:

Offline sidetrack

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2014, 02:12:00 pm »
HK has the PU kit on his 2009 but still wants more oomph, the PC may be the way to go ?
Little by little, one travels far

J.R.R Tolkien
Ride reports :
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=134175.0 Penge's pass and the Old Forest http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=9421.0 - Orange Atlantic adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=7514.0 - 805 km day trip http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=20260.0 - East Cape Bash http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=70199.0 - Two KTM thumpers head north

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2014, 02:39:11 pm »
HK has the PU kit on his 2009 but still wants more oomph, the PC may be the way to go ?

A freeflow exhaust and more free flowing air box coupled with the PC is the way to go. These scoots though do make their power low down and linear - that is their beauty (it is not a 690  ::))