TE 610 Airboxectomy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BiG DoM

Grumpy Mutt
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS HP2
Ok so the 610 airbox has always been a moot point ... in my book at any rate. Air intake is low and vulnerable to water ingress, intake is uneven into the box unless you create more vents, the seal of the outer cover is poor ... and the securing screws turn in the threaded brass inserts if you even look at them! Some of these issues were addressed with the 630 - eg raising the intake area to below seat side cover but still a weakness IMHO. Anyway I have plotted to eradicate the shyte box for some time and today when I wanted to clean the airfilter and despite all efforts to preserve the threaded inserts one bolt would not come out without turning the thread ... my mo@r also stripped  :dousing: This was the decisive moment and this is the resultant aftermath below.  >:D  

I intend to route a flexible air intake hose to the free space I now have in my battery box due to using an Ultrabatt - and fit an Uni Filter with an integrated pre-filter (dual stage 2). The pod filter will give me superior filtering and offer at least the same intake surface area, also keep the air intake away from possible water, and give the bike a nice open look I think. It will all be reversible to OEM if need be. Watch this space.  ;)

Attachments

• 610 Airboxectomy.jpg
    610 Airboxectomy.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 245
  • UNI-F03-_is.png
    UNI-F03-_is.png
    110.1 KB · Views: 216
  • 456-AIR_INTAKE_PIPE_red_D.jpg
    456-AIR_INTAKE_PIPE_red_D.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 231