Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: KTM or TENERE ??  (Read 4436 times)

Offline jpcussen

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
Re: KTM or TENERE ??
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2014, 09:28:41 pm »
Look at the HP difference and then see if you want to potter around on the Tenere or fly on the KTM
If you are not falling, you are not trying hard enough.

2009 990R

Offline Odd Dog

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2014, 08:13:05 am »
Long distances, touring, the Yamaha.

Playing around the house, the KTM 690.

Easy decision when you break it down logically.

Now make your decision.
If You're going through hell, keep going.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2014, 07:51:33 pm »
The fact that very, very few 690's have high KMS on them really just says it all.

Met die KTM draai jy al om die kospotte soos n lui huisvlieg.

Offline Shaun500

• Bike: Kawasaki KLE 500
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2014, 08:48:56 pm »
IMHO, TBO (Time Between Overalls) will be less on the Tenere.  Yes, the Tenere is less powerful but it is under-stressed compared to the KTM.  Not to mention cost of ownership and spares.  Just my 5c...

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2014, 01:43:53 pm »
If you were to cross a desert, or a continent, would you take a mule or a Durban July racehorse?

Work out for yourselves which is which. :imaposer:

Offline jpcussen

« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2014, 04:00:17 pm »
If you were to cross a desert, or a continent, would you take a mule or a Durban July racehorse?

Work out for yourselves which is which. :imaposer:

I agree with 2strokeDan - if I wanted a mule, I would get the Tenere. And it would probably be slower but more comfortable.
If you are not falling, you are not trying hard enough.

2009 990R

Offline steveindar

• Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
  • Eish!
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2014, 02:07:25 pm »
Don't Shimwells do a hop-up conversion for the 660 motor? Anyone have any input on it?
COVID KILLS SADDLE TIME!
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” ― Mark Twain

XRV750 Africa bike, KTM 525EXC plastic Africa bike, BMW1150GS Civilization bike; TY250Z Footup's ??? VFR750 Potential off-road hooligan bike!

Offline Xpat

« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2014, 04:47:10 pm »
Don't Shimwells do a hop-up conversion for the 660 motor? Anyone have any input on it?

They did one conversion to 700 or 720 cc - there was write-up in one of the biking magazines, not sure which one. When I asked them about 2 years back, the cost was about R 9000.

However when I needed more power on mine - as the standard is very sedate, I did not go that route as I was worried about reliability as this affect moving parts - and reliability for solo and remote rides was one of the key reasons for me to buy Tenere. The bike seems choked way to much so instead I did the following:
- DNA stage 3 filter (it already had stage 2) - makes big difference, but lowers significantly air intake so not good for water crossings.
- LV pipes - just because they do not have catalytic converter and are reasonably quiet (still bloody loud)
- PCV - I bought the bike with it, but you can probably achieve most of the improvements without it just by changing standard map on the dyno (I was told).
- I have had throttle body drilled for bigger diameter to increase air inflow. This was done with the prior upgrades on already, but subjectively made the biggest difference (but may not without DNA stage 3). The bike revs much freer throughout the revs and feels much more lively.
- got the bike dynoed for proper air/fuel mixture (results in the attached sheet - I understand this is not a science and numbers may differ on different set-ups)

With those (and the suspension upgrades!) Tenere performs quite well and I'm now happy to keep it - without them I would have probably sold it already and probably bought Husky Terra.

But as was said before comparing it to 690 is not right - completely different bikes. 690 will be way better for shorter multiday trips in more challenging terrain (Lesotho, Kaokoland, etc.), but getting there on it or commute is just plain silly IMO (I have Husky 630 for those trips and would not use it for long adventure trips - have done it, but now use it exactly for those more focused trips and trailer the bike there). And maybe for weekend rides, but them I'm sure KTM 500 - 530 would be much better (not for maintenance though). For commuting and longer distance adv trips (just came from two weeks in Bots and Zim) Tenere beats it hands down IMO.

Offline mtr89

• Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • one grateful dude
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2014, 07:21:07 pm »
IMHO, TBO (Time Between Overalls) will be less on the Tenere.  Yes, the Tenere is less powerful but it is under-stressed compared to the KTM.  Not to mention cost of ownership and spares.  Just my 5c...
+1what he said.
KX125-sold;DT 175-sold;XT660R-sold;VFR 800-sold;SR250-soldt;2006 YZ 250 2t sold;2009 YZ 250 2t sold; 2013 XT 660Z Tenere-current

Offline Fenderbender

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Robertson
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2014, 07:56:14 pm »
The fact that very, very few 690's have high KMS on them really just says it all.

Met die KTM draai jy al om die kospotte soos n lui huisvlieg.

Hie hie , Daan hoe lekker lag ek nou .

Tenere :  sal jou in meeste gevalle  nooit in die steek laat nie , betroubaar , dit raak eintlik boring , sal jou altyd bring waar jy wil wees . Kan selfs pillion en lekker teen 140kmh kuier op die blou paaie . Beslis nie n fiets wat moet onderskat word nie . Nogal lig op brandstof ook . Hierdie een ry jy as jy jou vrou , Ex , girlfriend etc. wil saamneem op jou ekskursie .

690  :  Flippen hooligan fiets , hou nie van toer of lang afstande nie , brandstofverbruik uit die bose , GEEN pillion , hierdie een ry jy as jy van jou vrou , Ex, of girlfriend wil wegkom en net wil padvat .

Offline roxenz

• rocks make sense
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • cheerful yesterdays and confident tomorrows
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2014, 11:36:46 am »
Tenere :  sal jou in meeste gevalle  nooit in die steek laat nie , betroubaar , dit raak eintlik boring , sal jou altyd bring waar jy wil wees . Kan selfs pillion en lekker teen 140kmh kuier op die blou paaie . Beslis nie n fiets wat moet onderskat word nie . Nogal lig op brandstof ook . Hierdie een ry jy as jy jou vrou , Ex , girlfriend etc. wil saamneem op jou ekskursie .

690  :  Flippen hooligan fiets , hou nie van toer of lang afstande nie , brandstofverbruik uit die bose , GEEN pillion , hierdie een ry jy as jy van jou vrou , Ex, of girlfriend wil wegkom en net wil padvat .

That is the most spot on summary!   :imaposer:

Offline Vlakhaas

« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2014, 08:01:45 pm »
Kry 'n 990!

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2014, 08:16:21 pm »
Daai 990 het hopeloos te min rebound damping.

Offline Vlakhaas

« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2014, 08:22:12 pm »
 ;D  Jip, setup was heel uit, die landing was nogal iets om te sien. Die tweeling was vir dae lank seer!

Net daar alles oor gestel, toe is daai 990 witwarm op die sand

Offline Operator

• is a Forum Vendor and a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Official Vendor
    • Vendor
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2014, 08:33:40 pm »

Perfekte opsomming en beskrywing.  :thumleft:

Offline Dudleydk

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2014, 08:52:24 pm »
So I decided to rather fix up my 650 GS DAKAR. Pimped it out a bit. Save up a while and then get a nice enduro or rally bike some time in 2014... Keep the Dakkie for trips and comuting and get a nice light bike for playing.

Will post for advice once the financial hangover gets better...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
U can't get to heaven if u're afraid of hieghts!

Offline Donaldbr

• Yamaha Super Tenere, Yamaha XT600, Yamaha WR250F
Re:
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2014, 10:04:43 pm »
Good choice

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Offline Pavlovski

• Vendor
  • Vendors
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • www.jamiezone.co.za FOR ALL YOUR WÜRTH PRODUCTS
    • www.jamiezone.co.za
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2014, 07:04:26 am »
KTM....all the way :thumleft:
Currently owns: BMW R1200R & Honda CX500

Previously owned: BMW R1150GS, BMW G650GS, BMW R1150R, Suzuki SV1000, Suzuki DL650 V-strom, Hyosung GT250, BMW F800ST, BMW K1200S, Harley XL1200 Sportster Custom, SYM 125 Scooter, BMW G650 X-Country

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2014, 07:08:49 am »

Offline Donaldbr

• Yamaha Super Tenere, Yamaha XT600, Yamaha WR250F
Re: Re: Re: KTM or TENERE ??
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2014, 08:00:32 pm »