Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: That pesky water temp sensor  (Read 669 times)

Offline Straatkat

That pesky water temp sensor
« on: December 28, 2013, 08:38:36 pm »
Was doing the Canal ride today when my fan came on when I turned the ignition on, and then I also saw the neutral light flash. This had me puzzled for a while, initially thought the bike was running hot, but then remembered I read somewhere that the water temp sensor is another weak component and fail often, and the symptoms are just that. Luckily have one on hand, so will fit it tomorrow.

As a side note, I changed the oil with Castrol power1, and my gearbox is quite clunky now, will go back to Motul 300V next time, the gearbox is just so much smoother with it, albeit at a price.
18 till I die.
If hard work pays, show me rich donkey.

Offline sidetrack

Re: That pesky water temp sensor
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 08:59:32 pm »
Was doing the Canal ride today when my fan came on when I turned the ignition on, and then I also saw the neutral light flash. This had me puzzled for a while, initially thought the bike was running hot, but then remembered I read somewhere that the water temp sensor is another weak component and fail often, and the symptoms are just that. Luckily have one on hand, so will fit it tomorrow.

As a side note, I changed the oil with Castrol power1, and my gearbox is quite clunky now, will go back to Motul 300V next time, the gearbox is just so much smoother with it, albeit at a price.
Not coincidence then, I switched to Castrol Power 1 (or is that F1 ?) from Actevo and it's much harder to select neutral now  ::) Will be going back to Actevo next time round. Also easier somewhere in the sticks if you have to top up semi rather than fully synthetic. Not that my bike uses any oil but you never know.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 09:00:12 pm by sidetrack »
Little by little, one travels far

J.R.R Tolkien
Ride reports :
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=134175.0 Penge's pass and the Old Forest http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=9421.0 - Orange Atlantic adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=7514.0 - 805 km day trip http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=20260.0 - East Cape Bash http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=70199.0 - Two KTM thumpers head north

Offline Straatkat

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 04:06:22 pm »
My gearbox was giving me difficulty selecting neutral before I stop, and once or twice it didn't want to go into a lower gear, didn't think oil can make such a difference. On ADV rider the guys swear by 300V Motul and I am busy seeing why. Hope it's not a gearbox problem :(

Fitted the new water temp sensor and the neutral light stopped flashing...all is well again. I am going to carry a spare sensor with me wherever I go, first one only lasted 11000km.
18 till I die.

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 07:27:09 am »
My gearbox was giving me difficulty selecting neutral before I stop, and once or twice it didn't want to go into a lower gear, didn't think oil can make such a difference. On ADV rider the guys swear by 300V Motul and I am busy seeing why. Hope it's not a gearbox problem :(

Fitted the new water temp sensor and the neutral light stopped flashing...all is well again. I am going to carry a spare sensor with me wherever I go, first one only lasted 11000km.

All the 610's seem to have this quirk regarding selecting neutral - I have learnt to live with it ... often a little blip to raise the revs and gentle nudge works for me.
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701R  Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  Yamaha YZ250X BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

:ricky:

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 12:13:49 am »
Is the water temp sensor a Husky specific part or generic?
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701R  Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  Yamaha YZ250X BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

Offline Straatkat

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 02:25:00 pm »
Dom, I bought mine from Husky, 100 some ront, but I am sure one could find a generic one, just not sure what temp range it should be.
Methinks its only purpose is to turn the fan on and off. Which reminds me I need to order another!

My Cam Chain Tensioner is at 4 teeth after 10 000km, think I need to fit a Ape manual CCT, any idea where to get one?
18 till I die.

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 05:06:12 pm »
Dom, I bought mine from Husky, 100 some ront, but I am sure one could find a generic one, just not sure what temp range it should be.
Methinks its only purpose is to turn the fan on and off. Which reminds me I need to order another!

My Cam Chain Tensioner is at 4 teeth after 10 000km, think I need to fit a Ape manual CCT, any idea where to get one?

e-Bay  :thumleft:

Offline TK

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Life's an adventure, enjoy the ride.
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2014, 09:22:55 pm »
Check out the hella range of sensors. I got a feeling that they have an identical one.