Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: LC engine failure  (Read 7198 times)

Offline lecap

Re: LC engine failure
« Reply #60 on: March 17, 2014, 11:24:14 am »
I have copied the piccie below from the ADV Rider thread.

Although I don't own one of the bikes and never rode one either it looks to me as if the chain gauge does not match the sprocket. The sprocket is a lot narrower than the chain. You will need the chain guards or the tensioner rail have grooves to limit the side float of the chain on the sprockets.
As opposed to centering the chain with the sprocket teeth this variant is primarily less noisy.

Apparently something else is limiting the side float of the chain by touching the pins. And it does not seem to work :-\
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 11:24:56 am by lecap »
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
« Reply #61 on: March 17, 2014, 11:30:19 am »

Although I don't own one of the bikes and never rode one either it looks to me as if the chain gauge does not match the sprocket. The sprocket is a lot narrower than the chain. You will need the chain guards or the tensioner rail have grooves to limit the side float of the chain on the sprockets.
As opposed to centering the chain with the sprocket teeth this variant is primarily less noisy.

Apparently something else is limiting the side float of the chain by touching the pins. And it does not seem to work :-\

It makes a lot of sense but how is it possible that (German) engineers has missed it and can even make a mistake like this... ???

Offline Lord Knormoer

• is nog 'n kinders :-)
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Wassie ekkie!
« Reply #62 on: March 17, 2014, 11:47:58 am »
I am curious about the wear seen in this picture that is not related ot sidewards movement. Any thoughts on that?

Offline BikerJan

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #63 on: March 17, 2014, 11:49:37 am »
All of you with oilheads , smile and wave, smile and wave!

Antvan, congratulations on covering 10,000 trouble free - other than the loose bolt of course km.

But consider this - before BMW motorcycle engines were built in China they were built in a country called Germany and if you should happen to pass by a little town in Texas, called Dilley, stop and have a look at Hank's 1995 1100 GS - At last count it had ridden 768,000 km - 480,000 miles ! And it's the same engine it left the factory with . Now the smoother, more powerful, liquid cooled miracle gives it up after 4000 km ?

Can there possibly be one owner of an LC who is absolutely confident in the engine in his bike ?

I am 100 % confident in my 2014 model

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #64 on: March 17, 2014, 11:56:59 am »

Antvan, congratulations on covering 10,000 trouble free - other than the loose bolt of course km.

But consider this - before BMW motorcycle engines were built in China they were built in a country called Germany and if you should happen to pass by a little town in Texas, called Dilley, stop and have a look at Hank's 1995 1100 GS - At last count it had ridden 768,000 km - 480,000 miles ! And it's the same engine it left the factory with . Now the smoother, more powerful, liquid cooled miracle gives it up after 4000 km ?

Can there possibly be one owner of an LC who is absolutely confident in the engine in his bike ?

And can I ask you a question? Will you be 100% honest and post here if you do have some issues or even a failure? .....or will you silently get it fixed and sorted?

Offline BikerJan

« Reply #65 on: March 17, 2014, 12:04:38 pm »

And can I ask you a question? Will you be 100% honest and post here if you do have some issues or even a failure? .....or will you silently get it fixed and sorted?

TVB, do yourself a favor and do some research. I have previously noted any issues I had with a bike on the forum, with the outcome. So, to answer you short and sweet, yes, I am 100 % honest, and problems which I experience is not fixed silently in some dark hole. I insist to receive the kind of service for which I am paying.

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #66 on: March 17, 2014, 12:12:20 pm »

TVB, do yourself a favor and do some research. I have previously noted any issues I had with a bike on the forum, with the outcome. So, to answer you short and sweet, yes, I am 100 % honest, and problems which I experience is not fixed silently in some dark hole. I insist to receive the kind of service for which I am paying.

Well great then Jan, and I really hope the bike will not fail you. I like the looks of them, stunning especially the LCA in blue! Safe and happy riding !!

Offline BikerJan

« Reply #67 on: March 17, 2014, 12:19:28 pm »

Well great then Jan, and I really hope the bike will not fail you. I like the looks of them, stunning especially the LCA in blue! Safe and happy riding !!

I certainly hope so as well TVB! :thumleft:

Offline Sprocketbek

« Reply #68 on: March 17, 2014, 12:27:19 pm »
Although I don't own one of the bikes and never rode one either it looks to me as if the chain gauge does not match the sprocket. The sprocket is a lot narrower than the chain.

I noticed that too.
It does not look right at all!

???
KTM 990 Adv
KTM 640 Adv

Offline BennNevis

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #69 on: March 17, 2014, 01:22:56 pm »

Apparently 4th gear? Tis is what I have heard....

Offline buzzlightyear

• I'm Buzz Lightyear. I come in peace.
  • Forum Whore
  • To infinity and beyond
« Reply #70 on: March 17, 2014, 02:01:02 pm »
So is the gearbox now integrated into the LC motor and not a separate addon like the previous 1200s?
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Offline Lord Knormoer

• Wassie ekkie!
« Reply #71 on: March 17, 2014, 02:01:04 pm »

Apparently 4th gear? Tis is what I have heard....

That would explain the right hand cam chain but not left like in my case.

Offline Lord Knormoer

• Wassie ekkie!
« Reply #72 on: March 18, 2014, 06:46:09 am »
So is the gearbox now integrated into the LC motor and not a separate addon like the previous 1200s?

Yes, the left cam chain lives in front with the clutch and the right cam chain in the rear with the gearbox.

Offline Lord Knormoer

• Wassie ekkie!
« Reply #73 on: March 18, 2014, 06:47:01 am »
Thought this was appropriate and funny...

http://youtu.be/aVd3bdQ8enE

Offline Mzee

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • Bikes: DL 650 Suzuki; Honda 250 Suzuki 125; Vespa
    • Mzee-Jaki
« Reply #74 on: March 18, 2014, 08:11:35 am »
Moral of the story never buy a first year production anything in its first year  :bueller:

If this were true, no one would by anthing :sip:
Life is kind to those who afford it kindness

XT1200Z Super Tenere

Offline Lord Knormoer

• Wassie ekkie!
« Reply #75 on: March 18, 2014, 08:16:38 am »
Moral of the story never buy a first year production anything in its first year  :bueller:

If this were true, no one would by anthing :sip:

Agree, I always go for the new tech. At least for a short period there is some exclusivity given that the majority will wait and see. :thumleft:

Offline lecap

« Reply #76 on: March 18, 2014, 08:49:08 am »

Good morning!

Where have you been for the last year ??? Deep frozen and snoozing I assume :lol8:
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline lecap

« Reply #77 on: March 18, 2014, 08:54:13 am »

It makes a lot of sense but how is it possible that (German) engineers has missed it and can even make a mistake like this... ???

Believe me I have seen plenty of shite German engineers came up with. Resulting in "small niggles" such as a P&W 4000 RB211 with bent compressor blades :o
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 10:16:20 am by lecap »

Offline lecap

« Reply #78 on: March 18, 2014, 09:08:16 am »
Although I don't own one of the bikes and never rode one either it looks to me as if the chain gauge does not match the sprocket. The sprocket is a lot narrower than the chain.

I noticed that too.
It does not look right at all!

???

As I said the large amount of side float in combination with a chain rail and / or a chain tensioner which guides the chain sideways prevents the chains side plates from touching the sprockets and thereby reduces mechanical chain noise.

The problem with some of the BMW engine seems to be that the chain guides did not work reliably.

I don't think it's an issue with manufacturing tolerances unless all bikes grind the chain pins and the difference is only if they grind it just enough for the chain to fail if some manufacturing tolerances are on the wrong side.

The more likely scenario is that the guide rail which is supposed to keep the chain channelled where it belongs does not work reliably. This would explain why both right and left timing chains seem to be failure prone.
Does some one know if any components around the timing chains such as tensioners or static chain guides were superseded? It might be a good idea to look into the possibility of a preventive replacement or at least compare the old with the new part to establish the failure mechanism.

And since some of you are probably waiting for a nasty anti - BMW comment let me relieve the tension:

A Japanese engineer would have used a silent chain.

:lol8:
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 09:11:26 am by lecap »

Offline buzzlightyear

• I'm Buzz Lightyear. I come in peace.
  • Forum Whore
  • To infinity and beyond
« Reply #79 on: March 18, 2014, 03:22:43 pm »

Yes, the left cam chain lives in front with the clutch and the right cam chain in the rear with the gearbox.

:thumleft:
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)