Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Death and Taxes  (Read 570 times)

Offline Shutter_Eye

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Richard Jessnitz
Death and Taxes
« on: January 04, 2014, 11:12:30 am »
http://www.timeslive.co.za/local/2014/01/04/dead-man-gets-overdue-e-toll-sms

A man who has been dead since October 2012 received an SMS warning that he had overdue e-toll fees of R612.21, according to a report on Saturday.

"I did not know whether I should laugh or cry when I received the sms [on December 30]. My father last registered a car two years before his death," Louis Tyler-Scott, the son of the dead man Charles, told Beeld.

Tyler-Scott said he liked to check his father's phone from time to time.

Many people posted their grievances on Facebook.

@Florah-M said that the South African National Roads Agency Limited (Sanral) had contacted her mother via SMS to tell her she owed R380 -- this despite the fact that her mother lives in Limpopo and does not own a car.

The newspaper reported that another woman, Adri Fourie, was sent an e-mail indicating that she owed R204.

However, when she went onto the website, she discovered that it had been a Nissan X-Trail, bearing the same front number plate as her Volkswagen Golf, which had gone through the tolls.

Fourie said she subsequently sent an e-mail to Sanral about the problem.

"Sanral told me that I must prove it. I refused."

Meanwhile, the Saturday Star reported that the Opposition to Urban Tolling Alliance (Outa) was compiling a dossier of all the problems to send to the Public Protector.

"Sanral is trying by hook and by crook -- and now by 'spook' -- to scare and intimidate road users who have not tagged up, to serve the system even though the system is failing," Outa spokesman John Clarke told the newspaper.

Sanral spokesman Vusi Mona however said that people could better solve their queries by contacting the call centre, "not your newspaper".

He suggested that "anyone who is in doubt of our efficiency needs only to look at the national roads. This is not Malawi, to repeat what... President [Jacob Zuma] said."

The e-toll system started operating across Gauteng on December 3.
2 Wheels and 1 Camera...
"UNDERSTEER" is when you hit the fence with your front wheel.
"OVERSTEER" is when you hit the fence with your rear wheel.
"HORSEPOWER" is how fast you hit the fence.
"TORQUE" is how far you take the fence with you.

Offline Goose

• NAPIER Country life is great!
  • Shop Mods
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
Re: Death and Taxes
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 11:22:32 am »

"Sanral is trying by hook and by crook -- and now by 'spook' -- to scare and intimidate road users who have not tagged up, to serve the system even though the system is failing," Outa spokesman John Clarke told the newspaper.

:laughing4: :laughing4:  bloody typical!!   :imaposer:
"Life is a Waste of Time..... Time is a Waste of Life........ Get Wasted all the Time and have the Time of your Life"  ()

Online Bundu

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 11:23:56 am »
I wonder how many tagged people are paying for another car with duplicate plates  8)

This whole thing is going to get quite funny :biggrin:

Offline Chukudeer

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 05:22:44 pm »
Yep. And according to the terms of the contract that they so readily agreed to, should they dispute the charges the ownes of proof is with the customer.  :lol8: to simplify, you must prove that it was not your car.... :imaposer:
KTM 990R
Gas Gas 300 now we cooking
Lisdectia rules ko

Online Bundu

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 06:47:35 pm »
I went out to lunch with a director of a JSE listed company today

I asked him what his thoughts about e-tolling were - he hated e-tolling and was convinced it was there purely to accommodate corruption and his strategy was to avoid the gantries, i.e. use the back roads

So I asked him how this would stop e-tolling and he replied, it would bankrupt Sanral

So I asked him what % of people could practically avoid gantries, to which he admitted, probably not more than 10%, to which I replied, that would have NO effect on Sanral

So he asked me what my strategy was, to which I replied, I'll use my roads and only pay after being convinced that it was one of my vehicles and when a judge orders me to - I'm hoping enough people do this

He will now also use the roads and be a difficult customer - a worthwhile lunch I had!