Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: A dog and a bitch on a black thing on the black stuff  (Read 1182 times)

Offline IDR

• <insert bias disclaimer here>
  • Administrator
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
A dog and a bitch on a black thing on the black stuff
« on: January 27, 2008, 12:06:42 pm »
In preparation for our trip to the Eastern Transvaal next week, I got the GTR for this weekend as well.  My pillion has NEVER BEEN ON A BIKE, so I felt that we needed to spend some time in the saddle to get ourselves comfortable.  I opted to follow more or less the same route we took with Welsh's Long Ride Went Flat, however only sticking to the tar.  Covered 450 km for the day, but it was well worthit - learnt a lot in preparation for next weekend:

• Wear a chest protector when you take a wimmin on a bike for the first time... or make her wear thick gloves... or SOMETHING so that nails don't sink into skin through however many layers of protective clothing
  • Wear ear-plugs (see first point)
  • Inform wimmin that spending time on hair is a total waste (it took her an HOUR to get ready... WTF?)
  • She was a star though, short briefing and a pointer or two along the way - best pillion I've ever ridden with
  • The Tour-X peak doesn't work so lekker above 180 kph  :o - remove

And then some serious lessons learnt:
  • The adjustable screen is even more irritating with a pillion - just can't get a setting that works for both - left it in the lower-most position.  Kawasaki has a replacement, higher screen - don't know why they don't fit these things to the demos...
  • The panniers are actually quite voluminous - EASILY pack a weekend's kit for two
  • I don't think it's possible for a bike to have a seat that keeps you comfortable for 450 km straight, by the time we got to Warmbaths on the way back, my ass was DEAD.  Kawasaki has a replacement "gel seat" - don't know why they don't fit these things to the demos...
  • Best headlights I've seen on a bike

Even with my gripes with the seat (probably just my boney ass anyway) and the screen, this thing covers distance like nothing I've ever ridden.  It handles extraordinarily well, has bucket-loads of power, comfortable, practical... I want one.

The ONLY thing wrong with it is that it doesn't go on dirt... but that's what the KLR's for  ;D

Some photos:

Giving my ass a rest:
The three things you need to fix anything in the universe: duct tape, WD-40 and a hammer.  If it moves and it shouldn't, use the duct tape.  If it doesn't move and it should, use the WD-40.  Otherwise use the hammer.

Offline Colyn

• Shutterbug
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • K1200LT - R1200GS
    • Tripwired
Re: A dog and a bitch on a black thing on the black stuff
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 12:32:46 pm »
Nice bike ... and thanks for sharing.

Yep a man needs some protection ... it is as if women have an instinctive knowledge of exactly where the soft spots are :)

Usually when my wife starts tapping me in the ribs I go faster and when I stop I tell her that I cannot go faster and she must stop spurring me on because I get scared :)

You are right ... the big tourers eats the road like nothing else. As for your but ... you will get used to it quicker than you think. As for the screen ... yes it is a bugger and I rarely lift the screen on my LT ... I prefer it to have the clean air hit my helmet. I am not a fan of the longer screens.
Never underestimate the power of denial.
Briek Merke ... wat ek so hier en daar op my lewenspad sien of los.

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 06:15:53 pm »
More importantly, is the goose coming back for more? ;D
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 06:53:20 pm »
Did you see the GSV it was up there today too, without me :-[ :-[
I got fired from my job last week, just because I asked "Smoking or Non-smoking" apparently it should be Burial or Cremation!

Offline IDR

• Administrator
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2008, 07:08:52 pm »
More importantly, is the goose coming back for more? ;D
Yea - very much so... I think she's even more excited about our trip next weekend than I am, even quipping "I don't see myself sitting on the back for much longer" - meaning she's seriously considering getting her own.  Needless to say, it WILL be a KLR  ;D

No Welsh, sorry, didn't see it - and if I did, I would have scared the living daylights out of some stranger thinking it was you  ;)
The three things you need to fix anything in the universe: duct tape, WD-40 and a hammer.  If it moves and it shouldn't, use the duct tape.  If it doesn't move and it should, use the WD-40.  Otherwise use the hammer.

Offline SGB

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • 1190R / 1200 GS LC / Husaberg TE 300
    • DS Rider Training
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2008, 09:54:53 pm »
Shoo serious machine that!  Must be very different to our bikes - my wife will have to stay on the the very comfortable pillion seat of my own tourer.   :)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 09:55:19 pm by SGB »
www.countrytrax.co.za

Riding a bike is not just about riding the bike....
Do not believe everything you think....

Offline Trailrider

• Southern Cape
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
  • "Africa Twin Lite"
    • Trailrider
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2008, 10:02:51 pm »
Nice report! What kind of convertible is that? ;) ;D
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 10:03:37 pm by Trailrider »

Offline Gryshond

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 06:56:49 am »
Cool car there IDR, can you hook a trailer for the fridge.

Offline IDR

• Administrator
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2008, 08:26:29 am »
Shoo serious machine that!  Must be very different to our bikes - my wife will have to stay on the the very comfortable pillion seat of my own tourer.   :)

Yea - VERY different to DS's... just the sheer size of it was daunting at first, and pushing it around is NO fun, but once on the move you don't feel the weight... but with the motor from the ZX-14 (albeit de-tuned) between your legs, the power is breath-taking!!  And I have the scars to prove it ::)

Gryshond, I'm sure you could convert one of the panniers into a fridge :)  It even has a power outlet to power the fridge with - but be sure to do it on the left, as the right pannier gets quite warm from the exhaust :)

PS: Apologies to those who can't see the photos - I just linked them up from my Facebook album.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 08:26:56 am by InsiderDirtRider »

Offline IDR

• Administrator
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2008, 03:49:20 pm »
So the weekend-long trip has come and gone...  it was awesome - and again the point was driven home... We live in a SPECTACULAR country!  And whoever suggested Roossenekal pass - thank you thank you thank you... it was breathtaking!

Left Friday morning, back home Sunday evening...

Day 1:
Depart Pretoria, destination Dullstroom, via Deneysville, Oranjeville, Villiers, Standerton, Ermelo, Machadodorp
Total distance: 660 km

This was the longest day, thought to get the long one in earlier rather than later :)  Boring N1, N3 down to Heidelberg, where we turned off, wanting to do as little highway as possible.  Then tried to find some backroads to the vaal dam... even did a stretch of dirt!  ;D

Drinks at the Duck & Trout, Dullstroom, after 660 km in the saddle

Day 2:
Depart Dullstroom on a circular route via Lydenburg, Ohrigstad, Blyde River Canyon, Berlin Falls, God's Window, Graskop, Robbers pass, Lydenburg.
Total Distance: 380 km

The roads here were not as bad as expected, but you still had to be awake, and I wasn't comfortable stretching the GTR's legs... there was also a KLE that needed consideration, so we were puttering around the whole day and enjoying the scenery.  This is really spectacular country!!  The road between Lydenburg and Ohrigstad was having some maintenance done to it, which ate into our time a bit, so we had to cut out Sabie and Long Tom pass - but apparently there are roadworks on Long Tom too, so I'm kinda grateful for the change of plan.  Robber's pass is a bit tight at first, the bulk of the GTR really showing itself... but after Pilgrim's Rest it opens up quite nicely, nice and twisty, good surface, and we left the KLE behind for a bit.  Was a great day of riding!

I'm a lumber jack and I'm OK...

Day 3: Home time
From Dullstroom, back up to Lydenburg, left to Roossenekal, over Berg Se Pas, Stoffberg, Middelburg, Witbank, N4 home.
Total Distance: 360 km

No photos of that as yet...
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 03:53:06 pm by InsiderDirtRider »

Offline Captain Zef

• The Ultimate
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Oudtshoorn / Mosselbaai
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2008, 04:01:38 pm »
Nee hel jy is mal  :o :o

Offline IDR

• Administrator
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2008, 04:06:04 pm »
Nee hel jy is mal  :o :o
Ek het net nie hoogte vrees nie :)

Offline wayneh

• Bike: BSA (all models)
    • South Africa's dual-sport motorcycle rally
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2008, 04:14:17 pm »
@*#$... I almost fell into my computer screen just viewing that pic...  :-[

Offline GO GIRL

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2008, 07:06:13 pm »
Glad to see ur missus enjoyed the trip...... :D

Those high up pics are WOW the views are stunning  8)