Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: BMW to recall 50 000 bikes for potential fuel leak in USA - Does it affect us?  (Read 11166 times)

Offline captain jack

I see it's all the way back to 2005. It seems reasonable that the flange would not differ between European and US markets??

RECALL Subject : Fuel Pump Flange may Leak , 1 INVESTIGATION(S)
 Report Receipt Date: DEC 12, 2013
 NHTSA Campaign Number: 13V617000
 Component(s): FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE
 Potential Number of Units Affected: 50,184
 Manufacturer: BMW of North America, LLC

SUMMARY:
 BMW of North America, LLC (BMW) is recalling certain model year 2005-2011 model year R-model motorcycles, model year 2005-2012 K-model motorcycles, model year 2010-2011 S 1000 model motorcycles, and model year 2006-2010 HP2 motorcycles. In the affected motorcycles, the fuel pump flange (and the auxiliary fuel pump flange if equipped) could develop cracks and leak fuel.

CONSEQUENCE:
 A fuel leak in the presence of an ignition source may result in a fire.

REMEDY:
 BMW will notify owners, and dealers will either reinforce the fuel pump flange or replace the pump, as necessary, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin in February 2014. Owners may contact BMW customer relations at 1-800-525-7417 or email BMW at CustomerRelations@bmwusa.com.

NOTES:
 Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.

Offline Beebop

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
About time.
BeemerBoneyard has a fix for this available for a long time already.

Online MarcovYken

BMW Issue!!
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 02:04:57 pm »
50 000 BMW's recalled - but not in SA
2014-01-09 13:38

BEEMER BIKE RECALL: More than 50 000 upmarket BMW motorcycles have been recalled in the US because of fuel leaks. And only in the US - though SA bikers say they too have complained. Image: BMW

MUNICH, Germany - BMW has recalled 50 200 motorcycles in the US to prevent potential fuel leaks and fire.

It seems, going by emails from South African BMW owners, that the problem is already common here though a BMW SA spokesman said he was unaware of the problem and that no cases had been reported.

The US National Highway Traffic Safety Administration warned that fuel-pump flanges on several models assembled between 2005 and 2011 might crack and allow fuel to seep out.

MANY INCIDENTS

BMW in the US will either reinforce the suspect flange or replace the pump. Which will be good news for the Cape BMW Motorcycle Club which claims to know of many such incidents on this side of the Atlantic Ocean.

The US safety agency said the motorcycles recalled were R, K and S1000 units and HP2 vehicles. However BWM said in January 2014 that no models sold in Germany were affected.

At least one owner in Cape Town has come forward with information. 'Kevin' emailed Wheels24:

'Hi, I think it would be of public interest if Wheels24 follows this story? I am aware of several owners in the Cape BMW Motorcycle Club who have also experienced fuel leaks where petrol pours from this leak on to the hot engine and exhaust.

'Searching the Internet will reveal the extent of the issue. BMW SA has not said a word yet. This is normal behaviour from them, they have a terrible reputation among BMW motorcycle owners.'

In response to Kevin's email, BMW said they "would investigate the issues raised". this was followed by another query to which BMW replied: 'Please note that the recall mentioned in the media reports only affects bikes in the USA.

'We encourage any local BMW motorcycle owners who experience the same issues as those mentioned in the reports to get in touch with our BMW Motorrad customer contact centre on 0800 600 555 and we will gladly have the issue checked.'

In a conversation with a more senior BMW staff member Wheels24 was assured that no BMW motorcycles in South Africa had reported such a problem.

A Google search for 'bmw 1200 fuel flange leak' scored more than 42 000 results.

Offline King Louis

Re: BMW Issue!!
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 02:22:34 pm »
Holy shit. I wonder how many okes bought their bikes from the US?

Where is my mate 2SD, I need an unbiased opinion! :pot: :peepwall:

Offline kwassi

>:(

In a conversation with a more senior BMW staff member Wheels24 was assured that no BMW motorcycles in South Africa had reported such a problem.

http://www.wheels24.co.za/BikesQuads/50-000-BMWs-recalled-but-not-in-SA-20140106
Solo travellers should not be considered unsociable, they are expressing their independence until they choose to do otherwise.

Offline krazy-eyes

• Bike: BMW R1200GS

oh really, because my friends' 2005 model has had a persistent fuel leak originating from that exact location, shorting out electrics and draining his battery numerous times.

Offline kwassi

I had the same issue

One of my clients told me recently he also had the issue.
There is a number of guys probably on the forum who will or had  this issue.

Maybe we should make a list.
Solo travellers should not be considered unsociable, they are expressing their independence until they choose to do otherwise.

Online KiLRoy

• Rossi se Biaggi...
  • Administrator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • We need a strong man. Strong like Stalin
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
I suggest making a list and inform BMW and the media. Seems they are blatantly lying that they are not aware of the problem in SA. Why would this part be different from SA to US?  Confront them, there are lives at stake ffs.

Add pics where possible. This is not something they can ignore and hide.

Offline Goose

• NAPIER Country life is great!
  • Shop Mods
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure

oh really, because my friends' 2005 model has had a persistent fuel leak originating from that exact location, shorting out electrics and draining his battery numerous times.

That denial is a standard response from BMW-SA as far as I'm concerned!

The blokes in the UK are taking matters further........ see below: (not me)

Heads up for the UK guys.
Recently there's been details of a recall in North America of all their post 2004 bikes for fuel pump leak problems.
I emailed and asked VOSA if they were aware of it and got this reply.

"Dear Mr Parry

Thank you for your email. This has been forwarded to the Vehicle Safety
Team.

I can confirm that we are aware of this recall in Canada and we are in
touch with BMW UK to discuss this issue.

Regards and Happy New Year.

Alison Martin

UK Automotive Safety Recalls Scheme Manager"

:eek7:
"Life is a Waste of Time..... Time is a Waste of Life........ Get Wasted all the Time and have the Time of your Life"  ()

Offline GSBoland

• Bike: BMW R1100GS
  • Paarl
my old R1100Gs also got a fuel leak.  its heavy on fuel.
Black 1100GS

Offline silvrav

Sub

Offline 2StrokeDan

• I've been to paradise, but i've never been to me....
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
BMW brought you the orriejaainil LEWENSGEVAARLIK, the highly consumptious TANKSLAPPER, and now the mobile Molotov koktyl.

Always on the forefront of disaster management by means of denial.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• Castrated Dog
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
I cannot confirm this through my inside contacts with Al Queda, since they all died in suicide missions, but apparently the terrorist organisation bought some of these highly
dangerous moving petrol bombs, but they would tankslap and throw the rider off before they could reach their nearest embassy.
Al Queda is considering a mass ride to BMW HQ.

Online KiLRoy

• Rossi se Biaggi...
  • Administrator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • We need a strong man. Strong like Stalin
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
I cannot confirm this through my inside contacts with Al Queda, since they all died in suicide missions, but apparently the terrorist organisation bought some of these highly
dangerous moving petrol bombs, but they would tankslap and throw the rider off before they could reach their nearest embassy.
Al Queda is considering a mass ride to BMW HQ.

Bwahahaha  :imaposer: :imaposer:  fark thats funny Dan. Terrorists bitching about BMW.... :imaposer:

Offline King Louis

Good one Dan, pretty funny. Then again, even with all your ammo against beemers you could not convince your terrormates not to use beemers? Premature detonation? Shew...... :pot:

I guess BMW is more focussed on the US as the market is so much bigger and legal/financial consequences there are handled by far different than in any other country. Lots of consideration must have been done to go that route, trust me. They are not well known to accept their mistakes and go public about it. Rather the opposite.

Question remains, out of the talked about 50000 units, how many people here in SA have had the same and what course of action do they have? So far we had two complaints in this fred? :patch:

Offline Goose

• Shop Mods
  • Forum Whore
Good one Dan, pretty funny. Then again, even with all your ammo against beemers you could not convince your terrormates not to use beemers? Premature detonation? Shew...... :pot:

I guess BMW is more focussed on the US as the market is so much bigger and legal/financial consequences there are handled by far different than in any other country. Lots of consideration must have been done to go that route, trust me. They are not well known to accept their mistakes and go public about it. Rather the opposite.

Question remains, out of the talked about 50000 units, how many people here in SA have had the same and what course of action do they have? So far we had two complaints in this fred? :patch:

+ 10000000

The USA's Consumer Law really looks after the consumer - they will be nailed big time.  The question is ...... don't these bikes ALL come from Germany, from the same assembly line..........? 
I see even the old HP2's have a recall on them........... so there must be a big issue for them to allow a recall and retrofit of the older, out-of-warrnty bikes as well.

If BMW-SA want to make up for their laxative attitude - they should pre-empt this, fight for their clients and get it sorted......... I think a lot of the BMW owners could do with a bit of positive action from them - rather than get that text-book denial of an issue.......
"Life is a Waste of Time..... Time is a Waste of Life........ Get Wasted all the Time and have the Time of your Life"  ()

Offline captain jack

That's what I think. All the bikes come from the same factory. The different market changes are probably cosmetic and which way the lights dip. It's not reasonable to say, aha, this bike is not for the US, lets use a different flange......

But now I have an 1150 :biggrin: so no worries (but what is that tick tick tick.......)

Offline Goose

• Shop Mods
  • Forum Whore
That's what I think. All the bikes come from the same factory. The different market changes are probably cosmetic and which way the lights dip. It's not reasonable to say, aha, this bike is not for the US, lets use a different flange......

But now I have an 1150 :biggrin: so no worries (but what is that tick tick tick.......)

That's your engine telling you it's working ok...!   :peepwall:

Offline 2StrokeDan

• Castrated Dog
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!

Aag you know how stubborn these suicide types are........ :imaposer:

Offline 2StrokeDan

• Castrated Dog
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!

Unless BMW have factories in other countries, like the Japanese marques, all their bikes come from Bavaria? If so then even you BM riders in SA can be covered should a Beemer
explode, based on the fact that there was a recall on some bikes off the very same assembly line that supplied SA bikes.
My personal reasoning; out of a possible 1000 BMW's that comes off the assembly line, only the 900 going to USA get recalled, the small bit going to "Africa" not. Not fair.

But by now BMWSA knows exactly how to handle their faithful local clientele. They keep you in the dark and feed you shit. Mushroom alley.