Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: BMW to recall 50 000 bikes for potential fuel leak in USA - Does it affect us?  (Read 11299 times)

Offline TheBear

That's what I think. All the bikes come from the same factory. The different market changes are probably cosmetic and which way the lights dip. It's not reasonable to say, aha, this bike is not for the US, lets use a different flange......

But now I have an 1150 :biggrin: so no worries (but what is that tick tick tick.......)

Unless BMW have factories in other countries, like the Japanese marques, all their bikes come from Bavaria? If so then even you BM riders in SA can be covered should a Beemer
explode, based on the fact that there was a recall on some bikes off the very same assembly line that supplied SA bikes.
My personal reasoning; out of a possible 1000 BMW's that comes off the assembly line, only the 900 going to USA get recalled, the small bit going to "Africa" not. Not fair.

But by now BMWSA knows exactly how to handle their faithful local clientele. They keep you in the dark and feed you shit. Mushroom alley.

Why would they issue various recalls over the past few years and then keep owners in the dark about this one?
#33 #BRADICAL!

Online 2StrokeDan

• Serving in Captain Kilroys Company
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
That's what I think. All the bikes come from the same factory. The different market changes are probably cosmetic and which way the lights dip. It's not reasonable to say, aha, this bike is not for the US, lets use a different flange......

But now I have an 1150 :biggrin: so no worries (but what is that tick tick tick.......)

Unless BMW have factories in other countries, like the Japanese marques, all their bikes come from Bavaria? If so then even you BM riders in SA can be covered should a Beemer
explode, based on the fact that there was a recall on some bikes off the very same assembly line that supplied SA bikes.
My personal reasoning; out of a possible 1000 BMW's that comes off the assembly line, only the 900 going to USA get recalled, the small bit going to "Africa" not. Not fair.

But by now BMWSA knows exactly how to handle their faithful local clientele. They keep you in the dark and feed you shit. Mushroom alley.

Why would they issue various recalls over the past few years and then keep owners in the dark about this one?

BMWSA are already stating that there are no such problems in SA.......yet some guys posting on this very thread tells differently?

Offline TheBear

BMWSA are already stating that there are no such problems in SA.......yet some guys posting on this very thread tells differently?

Well yes.  Thing is,  a certain percentage of. these problems must be in the "one of those things"  category and not necessarily due to the flange issue.  I don't know,  just wondering.

So,  I ask again,  why would the same company who,  since 2008 (date from which I took notice)  were happy to do three recalls on the F650GS twin,  at least one on the F800GS and at least one on the R1200 series.,  now suddenly refuse to recall? After all,  a recall will not cost BMW SA a cent.  Cost covered by BMW Germany.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 06:42:45 pm by AMZ »
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline Odd Dog

• Bike: AJS (all models)
...but the USA model is LHD.
If You're going through hell, keep going.

Offline Goose

• NAPIER Country life is great!
  • Shop Mods
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
Have any of you guys seen this on NEWS24 ...?

50 000 BMW's recalled - but not in SA

2014-01-09 13:38 MUNICH, Germany - BMW has recalled 50 200 motorcycles in the US to prevent potential fuel leaks and fire.

It seems, going by emails from South African BMW owners, that the problem is already common here though a BMW SA spokesman said he was unaware of the problem and that no cases had been reported.

The US National Highway Traffic Safety Administration warned that fuel-pump flanges on several models assembled between 2005 and 2011 might crack and allow fuel to seep out.

MANY INCIDENTS

BMW in the US will either reinforce the suspect flange or replace the pump. Which will be good news for the Cape BMW Motorcycle Club which claims to know of many such incidents on this side of the Atlantic Ocean.

The US safety agency said the motorcycles recalled were R, K and S1000 units and HP2 vehicles. However BWM said in January 2014 that no models sold in Germany were affected.

At least one owner in Cape Town has come forward with information. 'Kevin' emailed Wheels24:

'Hi, I think it would be of public interest if Wheels24 follows this story? I am aware of several owners in the Cape BMW Motorcycle Club who have also experienced fuel leaks where petrol pours from this leak on to the hot engine and exhaust.

'Searching the Internet will reveal the extent of the issue. BMW SA has not said a word yet. This is normal behaviour from them, they have a terrible reputation among BMW motorcycle owners.'

In response to Kevin's email, BMW said they "would investigate the issues raised". this was followed by another query to which BMW replied: 'Please note that the recall mentioned in the media reports only affects bikes in the USA.

'We encourage any local BMW motorcycle owners who experience the same issues as those mentioned in the reports to get in touch with our BMW Motorrad customer contact centre on 0800 600 555 and we will gladly have the issue checked.'

In a conversation with a more senior BMW staff member Wheels24 was assured that no BMW motorcycles in South Africa had reported such a problem.

A Google search for 'bmw 1200 fuel flange leak' scored more than 42 000 results.

.The "senior" staff member was not Steli Momos by any chance...?         ..........................   :deal: :deal:
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 12:14:19 am by Goose »
"Life is a Waste of Time..... Time is a Waste of Life........ Get Wasted all the Time and have the Time of your Life"  ()

Offline Vlakhaas

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure

I can send BMW a pic of my 2006 with a cracked flange, but the will just look at my service record and see that after all these years of having a full service record, I had to do the last one myself, so they will just tell me to f... off. The fact that the local BMW mechanic refused to work on a bike that has a sidecar fitted won't mean shit to them anyway.

Deny, deny, deny. Like Toyota refuse to acknowledge the stability issues of the Fortuner and Ford refusing to admit they've put in a piece of horse shit instead of a gearbox into my 4.0.

Offline TheBear

Deny, deny, deny. Like Toyota refuse to acknowledge the stability issues of the Fortuner and Ford refusing to admit they've put in a piece of horse shit instead of a gearbox into my 4.0.

Okay.  So,  since we are using personal experience as the measure,  I have to ask again (I have not received a reply yet)  What is to be gained by BMW denying the flange issue?   I know about 15 people with 1200GS bikes in this time frame without cracked flanges.  This includes mine at close to 100 000km and my wife's previous bike at 107 000km. I also saw,  with my own eyes,  BMW recalling the list I mentioned above.  So,  from my point of view BMW will recall if there is a proven issue.

Just as an aside,   as it happens I have a 4.0 V6 Ford at 130 000km with a great gearbox.  Now,  I can understand Toyota SA or Ford SA denying as they build the vehicles and will have to foot the bill for the recall.  The same is not true for BMW SA.
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline bronzy

• the older i get the faster i was !!!
working for dealerships for the last 30 years for all different brands.
 manufactures  have had recalls but strangely only the BMW and Toyota get blown out of proportion .
most of the time it is more a safety issue than something that is going to break.
How many of you guys of a major Korean car manufacture that are replacing all the fuel tanks on their cars in SA at the moment because they are leaking fuel.
other major Japanese bakkie manufacture with major issues on their bakkies  in SA
now those are kept quiet and only the car owner is notified or the parts are replaced at the service without the customers knowledge 

Offline TheBear

manufactures  have had recalls but strangely only the BMW and Toyota get blown out of proportion .
most of the time it is more a safety issue than something that is going to break.
How many of you guys of a major Korean car manufacture that are replacing all the fuel tanks on their cars in SA at the moment because they are leaking fuel.
other major Japanese bakkie manufacture with major issues on their bakkies  in SA
now those are kept quiet and only the car owner is notified or the parts are replaced at the service without the customers knowledge 

Yep.  My wife had a F650GS.  Twice she was just informed after a service of work done as part of their ongoing safety campaigns and once she hot an SMS requesting her to bring the bike in.
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline badseed

• Ride the adventure
  • KTM 990S, KTM690R , Vespa 200GT
    • www.wildwood.capetown
Like that BM650GT  I had that the auto clutch kept failing and BM denying a problem with the model. I googled and found it a huge issue in Europe with a quarter of the bikes sold in Europe waiting for replacement parts for the same issue and various bulletins recieved by local dealers on a temp fix for the problem. (Fix was bench grinding away the high spots on the clutch shoes. Very high tech.). Right up to the day they purchased the stricken scooter from me after 7 months of problems and paid me only 75% of the purchase price ( R120000,00)  they continued to deny any knowledge of the problem . But most of the sales and workshop staff privately admitted it was a f...up and did not want to sell the bikes. I have heard they are no longer importing the thing but will continue to sell the crap existing stock onto unsuspecting suckers.

So you still surprised they aren't owning up to this one. When you pop out of your rose tinted BM clouds check out the real world. I am not saying BM are any worse than the other manufacturers just that their motivation for selling at a premium price for their superior brand is a con. They will never hold a candle to the top Jap brands for quality.
Owner WildWood Motorcycle Tours South Africa

Offline Goose

• NAPIER Country life is great!
  • Shop Mods
  • Forum Whore
Like that BM650GT  I had that the auto clutch kept failing and BM denying a problem with the model. I googled and found it a huge issue in Europe with a quarter of the bikes sold in Europe waiting for replacement parts for the same issue and various bulletins recieved by local dealers on a temp fix for the problem. (Fix was bench grinding away the high spots on the clutch shoes. Very high tech.). Right up to the day they purchased the stricken scooter from me after 7 months of problems and paid me only 75% of the purchase price ( R120000,00)  they continued to deny any knowledge of the problem . But most of the sales and workshop staff privately admitted it was a f...up and did not want to sell the bikes. I have heard they are no longer importing the thing but will continue to sell the crap existing stock onto unsuspecting suckers.

So you still surprised they aren't owning up to this one. When you pop out of your rose tinted BM clouds check out the real world. I am not saying BM are any worse than the other manufacturers just that their motivation for selling at a premium price for their superior brand is a con. They will never hold a candle to the top Jap brands for quality.

you've hit the nail on the head there my friend....... there's so many blindly-loyal supporters of the brand ... and THAT's one of the reasons that the big boys shrug those off that have problems.... they can rely on the support from many that have their heads stuck in the sand! (not all.......... just a lot...)
"Life is a Waste of Time..... Time is a Waste of Life........ Get Wasted all the Time and have the Time of your Life"  ()

Offline Vlakhaas

Okay.  So,  since we are using personal experience as the measure,  I have to ask again (I have not received a reply yet)  What is to be gained by BMW denying the flange issue?   I know about 15 people with 1200GS bikes in this time frame without cracked flanges.  This includes mine at close to 100 000km and my wife's previous bike at 107 000km. I also saw,  with my own eyes,  BMW recalling the list I mentioned above.  So,  from my point of view BMW will recall if there is a proven issue.

Just as an aside,   as it happens I have a 4.0 V6 Ford at 130 000km with a great gearbox.  Now,  I can understand Toyota SA or Ford SA denying as they build the vehicles and will have to foot the bill for the recall.  The same is not true for BMW SA.

I've had a cracked flange. OK, my bike did. In the meantime I've repaired it myself. Bmw replaced the ring antenna, tank mounts and brake hoses under recall, but at the time they were perfect. The flange was not a recall, so the refuse to do something about it, even though the cracks was clearly there, although at that time it did not leak yet. There is a thread on ADVrider on it as well.

As for the 4.0, is yours the 4x4? We have two actually. On the 2005 double cab, the gearbox packed up on 28k and the next one on 52k. Each time Ford denied any issues. They even blamed me for towing a horsebox with it! After the last gearbox replacement, they've replaced the 4x4 actuator on the transfer case with a different model. It is even a completely different colour. I took pics before and after, so it was easy to notice.

I know of several other 4.0 4x4 models of the same year model that did exactly the same.

On my other, newer 4.0 SuperCab, it came out with the second 4x4 actuator, and never had issues. So it is a pretty clear indication that there was a problem with that particular older part.

Offline TheBear

Okay.  So,  since we are using personal experience as the measure,  I have to ask again (I have not received a reply yet)  What is to be gained by BMW denying the flange issue?   I know about 15 people with 1200GS bikes in this time frame without cracked flanges.  This includes mine at close to 100 000km and my wife's previous bike at 107 000km. I also saw,  with my own eyes,  BMW recalling the list I mentioned above.  So,  from my point of view BMW will recall if there is a proven issue.

Just as an aside,   as it happens I have a 4.0 V6 Ford at 130 000km with a great gearbox.  Now,  I can understand Toyota SA or Ford SA denying as they build the vehicles and will have to foot the bill for the recall.  The same is not true for BMW SA.

I've had a cracked flange. OK, my bike did. In the meantime I've repaired it myself. Bmw replaced the ring antenna, tank mounts and brake hoses under recall, but at the time they were perfect. The flange was not a recall, so the refuse to do something about it, even though the cracks was clearly there, although at that time it did not leak yet. There is a thread on ADVrider on it as well.

As for the 4.0, is yours the 4x4? We have two actually. On the 2005 double cab, the gearbox packed up on 28k and the next one on 52k. Each time Ford denied any issues. They even blamed me for towing a horsebox with it! After the last gearbox replacement, they've replaced the 4x4 actuator on the transfer case with a different model. It is even a completely different colour. I took pics before and after, so it was easy to notice.

I know of several other 4.0 4x4 models of the same year model that did exactly the same.

On my other, newer 4.0 SuperCab, it came out with the second 4x4 actuator, and never had issues. So it is a pretty clear indication that there was a problem with that particular older part.

I am not arguing the issue about the cracked flange.,  or even denying that the issue exists in SA.  I am also not blindly a BMW fan,  nor am I wearing rose coloured glasses as have been suggested by other writers.  What I am trying to understand is why would the same company who happy replaced various things on your bike,  deny another?  What would be their motivation?  I am wondering if someone here could say something like: "well the brake pipes thing only cost R2 per bike,  but the flange would be R200" or some such reason.  

2006 Super cab.  Never any hassles,  except for a rattling left suicide door that required 6cm of insulation tape every 5000km or so to allow me to remain sane.   If you want to hear me whine like a stuffed diff, let's talk about the Colt I had before the Ford.  

Or,  the DL1000 that required three rectiefier/regulators in three years at R2500 a pop only to have Suzuki do a recall a month after I sold mine.  

Brings lots of tissue as I usually. Ry when I discuss the Colt or the Strom.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 06:38:19 pm by AMZ »
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline Vlakhaas

I see your point, the flange is probably the cheapest part of all the recalled parts

The 2006 4x4 came with the new actuator, so your'e good. Bend the rattling door, looks kak doing it but it works, otherwise it will drive you completely nuts!

Offline TheBear

I see your point, the flange is probably the cheapest part of all the recalled parts

The 2006 4x4 came with the new actuator, so your'e good. Bend the rattling door, looks kak doing it but it works, otherwise it will drive you completely nuts!

I have thought about bending it.  Never had the guts.  Will give it a try.

#33 #BRADICAL!

Online 2StrokeDan

• Castrated Dog

The moment BMW admits knowing about the problem, and sone one blows up after that, they'll be accused of knowing they sold the public timebombs.

Online 2StrokeDan

• Castrated Dog

Now how do you think "they" manage to keep major issues on other Japanese bakkies quiet? Do they perhaps sort out the client straight-away?

Offline Vlakhaas

I think they just repair what brakes on a case-by-case basis. If there is a problem like say the one on my 4x4's gearbox, remember that very few 4x4 ever see heavy off-road work, and even less tow heavy 4-berth horse boxes. So even if there is a problem, it will only surface in a small number of vehicles. So maybe just shutting up and then trying to shift the blame when a few clients complain is the damage control strategy.

I've owned bakkies from each of the bigger Jap manufacturer's, and there was factory problems on every single one of them except a 2.4 Nissan HardBody. All were bought new and in not one instance did the factory admit there was a problem. In cases of known problems, they've replaced the offending parts at no cost to me, but never were there recalls.

Online 2StrokeDan

• Castrated Dog
I think they just repair what brakes on a case-by-case basis. If there is a problem like say the one on my 4x4's gearbox, remember that very few 4x4 ever see heavy off-road work, and even less tow heavy 4-berth horse boxes. So even if there is a problem, it will only surface in a small number of vehicles. So maybe just shutting up and then trying to shift the blame when a few clients complain is the damage control strategy.

I've owned bakkies from each of the bigger Jap manufacturer's, and there was factory problems on every single one of them except a 2.4 Nissan HardBody. All were bought new and in not one instance did the factory admit there was a problem. In cases of known problems, they've replaced the offending parts at no cost to me, but never were there recalls.

The manufacturers also hopes that the vehicle will make it through the warranty time, and then even ideally has changed hands to a 2nd owner, who most often will just repair at his own expense. Once they admit a problem, even the owner of an old model of this problem range can start demanding a fix.

Offline TheBear

Now how do you think "they" manage to keep major issues on other Japanese bakkies quiet? Do they perhaps sort out the client straight-away?

Are there,  or were there really major issues,  or just major social. media?   It has become very easy to complain to the world rather than just the buddies at a braai,  which could make any issue look a heck of a lot worse than it is.  Purely as an example,  Goose is pretty unhappy about his bike's pinging problem.  I have read about it here to minute detail.  I have also found his discussions on a UK Forum.  Had it not been for the posts,  I would never have known,  even thought about the issue.
#33 #BRADICAL!