Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: BMW to recall 50 000 bikes for potential fuel leak in USA - Does it affect us?  (Read 11300 times)

Online 2StrokeDan

• Serving in Captain Kilroys Company
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve

Now how do you think "they" manage to keep major issues on other Japanese bakkies quiet? Do they perhaps sort out the client straight-away?

Are there,  or were there really major issues,  or just major social. media?   It has become very easy to complain to the world rather than just the buddies at a braai,  which could make any issue look a heck of a lot worse than it is.  Purely as an example,  Goose is pretty unhappy about his bike's pinging problem.  I have read about it here to minute detail.  I have also found his discussions on a UK Forum.  Had it not been for the posts,  I would never have known,  even thought about the issue.

This is why it is astounding that BMW is giving it's [sheepish?] clients the runaround in this age of instant notification WWW.
Maybe these problems on BMW's are blown out of proportion, question is why, if there are cases of fuel leks in SA, does BMWSA say they do not know about it?
When, unless BMWSA consist of a group of Madiba deaf interpreters , they MUST know of it.

Offline TheBear

This is why it is astounding that BMW is giving it's [sheepish?] clients the runaround in this age of instant notification WWW.
Maybe these problems on BMW's are blown out of proportion, question is why, if there are cases of fuel leks in SA, does BMWSA say they do not know about it?
When, unless BMWSA consist of a group of Madiba deaf interpreters , they MUST know of it.

Well,  consider that there is the possibility that there is no major fuel. leak problem in SA and that it is blown out of proportion by a few BMW haters and their (sheepish?)  rah rah girls?  

Just to be sure,  I have no idea whether there is,  or was such a problem in SA.  Just. raising the possibility that it isn't big enough to be considered an all round problem in SA.  Let's just say for the sake of the argument,  due to our tame weather conditions the failure rate is 1 in 100, but in Canada it is 30 in 100. Canada recalls,  SA do not.  Although understandable to me,  that 1 with failure and access to the I Net will not be happy.

Me,  I enjoy this sort of discussion.  I do not however enjoy participating on a forum where any form of what seems to be positive words about a certain make,  BMW,  gets me branded as "sheepish" and various other names. 
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 10:18:25 pm by AMZ »
#33 #BRADICAL!

Online 2StrokeDan

• Serving in Captain Kilroys Company
  • Castrated Dog
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve

Well,  consider that there is the possibility that there is no major fuel. leak problem in SA and that it is blown out of proportion by a few BMW haters and their (sheepish?)  rah rah girls?  

Just to be sure,  I have no idea whether there is,  or was such a problem in SA.  Just. raising the possibility that it isn't big enough to be considered an all round problem in SA.  Let's just say for the sake of the argument,  due to our tame weather conditions the failure rate is 1 in 100, but in Canada it is 30 in 100. Canada recalls,  SA do not.  Although understandable to me,  that 1 with failure and access to the I Net will not be happy.

Me,  I enjoy this sort of discussion.  I do not however enjoy participating on a forum where any form of what seems to be positive words about a certain make,  BMW,  gets me branded as "sheepish" and various other names. 

We should be careful with the use of the word "blown" :eek7: :imaposer:

Offline Vlakhaas

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure

And sheep

In the same post  :eek7:

Offline Vlakhaas

Anyway, fact remains, I have a bike with a cracked flange and they refuse to help me, unless I donate a kidney or so

That is why I now ride a KTM, I EXPECT it to break, an I EXPECT to get no support, and I haven't been disappointed so far.  ;D

Offline whitedelight

• Forum Whore
The problem is with a little Internet research one will find this problem has been around for a long time,and reported on forums around the world. BMW only jumping now cause enough people in the States have made a noise about it.
What gets me isthat mechanics working for BMW worldwide have known about this for years, and not doing something about it is reckless in my opinion.
Why only a recall in the USA?? Look at their own BMW forum here in SA and you will find this popping up for the last few years.
One thing about the Internet is it can protect the consumer,and force the manufacturers to react and tale responsibility.
This recall will spread worldwide and cost the factory a fortune.
Rather live one day like a lion than 100 days like a sheep

Offline TheBear

And sheep

In the same post  :eek7:

I bow to your and 2SD's superior knowledge on blowing and sheep.   :imaposer:
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline TheBear

The problem is with a little Internet research one will find this problem has been around for a long time,and reported on forums around the world. BMW only jumping now cause enough people in the States have made a noise about it.
What gets me isthat mechanics working for BMW worldwide have known about this for years, and not doing something about it is reckless in my opinion.
Why only a recall in the USA?? Look at their own BMW forum here in SA and you will find this popping up for the last few years.
One thing about the Internet is it can protect the consumer,and force the manufacturers to react and tale responsibility.

So,  this recall may spread world wide and cost BMW a fortune.  Possible.  Why then would this be different to the various recalls already mentioned in this thread and why would BMW,  who did all the prior recalls deny this issue?

You mention a few things about the I Net,  all true.  The I Net also shows how many recalls has been done by various manufacturers,  including BMW and it sort of indicates that some,  including BMW are quite responsible,  or if you prefer completely irresponsible,  but still better than most.
#33 #BRADICAL!

Online BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
Firstly I think this thread should be moved to the BMW 1200 Technical thread rather than General where 2SD feels free to hijackoff at will.  ::)

This is a serious matter and one that BMW Clubs Africa should take up on behalf of owners with BMW Motorrad SA. We are often excluded from recalls and I have had this happen before.
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701R  Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  Yamaha YZ250X BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

:ricky:

Offline KiLRoy

• Rossi se Biaggi...
  • Administrator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • We need a strong man. Strong like Stalin
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders

So,  this recall may spread world wide and cost BMW a fortune.  Possible.  Why then would this be different to the various recalls already mentioned in this thread and why would BMW,  who did all the prior recalls deny this issue?

You mention a few things about the I Net,  all true.  The I Net also shows how many recalls has been done by various manufacturers,  including BMW and it sort of indicates that some,  including BMW are quite responsible,  or if you prefer completely irresponsible,  but still better than most.

You answered your own question. They are reluctant to recall since it cost a lot of money, have risks ito liability and is not good for marketing/the brand. Sure they tried to avoid if previously too, but reluctantly do it when faced with little choice. The better question would be why the recall it in the US and not here when the parts are most likely exactly the same? Now thats an interesting question.

Online BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
In the US there is more chance of litigation - here BMW Motorrad SA lag everyone off anyway  :-\   There was a recall on the front shocks of the HP2 in USA - a known weak link on these bikes and I had all the data and specs of the technical bulletin ... was lagged off by my dealer. Fitted WP of a KTM in the end ... fixed.  :3some: Faarkem.
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701R  Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  Yamaha YZ250X BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

Offline TheBear

You answered your own question. They are reluctant to recall since it cost a lot of money, have risks ito liability and is not good for marketing/the brand. Sure they tried to avoid if previously too, but reluctantly do it when faced with little choice. The better question would be why the recall it in the US and not here when the parts are most likely exactly the same? Now thats an interesting question.

Could it be that in the more. moderate climates the problem is not a prevalent? What about Australia,  or Argentina,  for instance?  Could it be that BMW Germany is still looking into it and news will come in a week,  or a month or so?  Could it be that only a batch of these flanges were defective and BMW Germany is still figuring out where they all are?  Parts exactly the same is possible.  Then I have to ask,  why only recall 50000 bikes in the US and not all sold?

Thing is,  I don't know the reasons,  but I am interested in the discussion.  I also ride a R1200GS.  I do however prefer to wonder about both sides of the story instead of just the constant hammering on one side,  so forgive me if I then throw the other side into the discussion.
#33 #BRADICAL!

Online BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog

Could it be that in the more. moderate climates the problem is not a prevalent? What about Australia,  or Argentina,  for instance?  Could it be that BMW Germany is still looking into it and news will come in a week,  or a month or so?  Could it be that only a batch of these flanges were defective and BMW Germany is still figuring out where they all are?  Parts exactly the same is possible.  Then I have to ask,  why only recall 50000 bikes in the US and not all sold?

Thing is,  I don't know the reasons,  but I am interested in the discussion.  I also ride a R1200GS.  I do however prefer to wonder about both sides of the story instead of just the constant hammering on one side,  so forgive me if I then throw the other side into the discussion.

:imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:

forgive me if I have some quiet hysterics

Offline TheBear

Did you not just k@k all over someone else for not being serious about this?

#33 #BRADICAL!

Online BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog

Did you not just k@k all over someone else for not being serious about this?

Just because I laugh at a comment does not mean I am not serious about this - WTF? I am amused at the thought of some suits sitting in the Vaderland skeming ... now letz zee if any von in Zuid Afrika vill zoo us if ve have ze GS inzinerator problem ...  8) But letz vait a vew weeks or munthz... Anyone who has had lengthy experience with BMW will know they are notorious for being extremely stubborn (if not arrogant) about firstly admitting there is a problem and secondly fixing it (publically at least). Very often faulty parts are changed out and shipped back to Germany where the problem is quietly fixed and the new parts supersede the old without anything being said ...
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 11:12:34 am by BiG DoM »

Offline KiLRoy

• Rossi se Biaggi...
  • Administrator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • We need a strong man. Strong like Stalin
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
AMZ, your questions are fair. Problem is that the media releases from BM do not support your questions. If that is the case, they can mos clearly state that they are investigating the scope of this problem. Thats what responsible and caring businesses do.

Your question are valid, but i dont think its echoed by BM, especially given their prior denials? Do you think?

Offline whitedelight

• Forum Whore

Could it be that in the more. moderate climates the problem is not a prevalent? What about Australia,  or Argentina,  for instance?  Could it be that BMW Germany is still looking into it and news will come in a
week,  or a month or so?  Could it be that only a batch of these flanges were defective and BMW Germany is still figuring out where they all are?  Parts exactly the same is possible.  Then I have to ask,  why only recall 50000 bikes in the US and not all sold?

My only concern is it is fine if there is a Faulty part of something on a new model,then manufacturers usually jump to sort it out in a form of a recall.
The issue here this dates back to 2005 to current models,that is a long time. What now all of a sudden happened that they are now springing into action. There must be thousands of owners that have had this same issue since 2005, and all probably had to fork out money to get it fixed.
My only thing is why has it taken soo long to recognize this as a serious enough issue to warrant sending out a recall now.

Offline whitedelight

• Forum Whore
But this issue is not a 1200gs problem only,a lot of the models are affected

Offline Goose

• NAPIER Country life is great!
  • Shop Mods
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure

Could it be that in the more. moderate climates the problem is not a prevalent? What about Australia,  or Argentina,  for instance?  Could it be that BMW Germany is still looking into it and news will come in a
week,  or a month or so?  Could it be that only a batch of these flanges were defective and BMW Germany is still figuring out where they all are?  Parts exactly the same is possible.  Then I have to ask,  why only recall 50000 bikes in the US and not all sold?

My only concern is it is fine if there is a Faulty part of something on a new model,then manufacturers usually jump to sort it out in a form of a recall.
The issue here this dates back to 2005 to current models,that is a long time. What now all of a sudden happened that they are now springing into action. There must be thousands of owners that have had this same issue since 2005, and all probably had to fork out money to get it fixed.
My only thing is why has it taken soo long to recognize this as a serious enough issue to warrant sending out a recall now.

Kilroy - THAT indeed is the question..............   and hopefully the answer will form part & parcel of Whitedelight's question highlighted...........

I personally think that we should obtain more info from the Americans...... again stating that their Consumer Laws are hectic to protect the people.. youwill get sued for big bucks there..... so if we can find out whether there were possibilities of litigation, THEN maybe we would find the reason BMW is acting now.

It's still beyond me that BMW-SA actually still survive here with the apathy........... maybe it's time that we do something about it  :eek7:
"Life is a Waste of Time..... Time is a Waste of Life........ Get Wasted all the Time and have the Time of your Life"  ()

Offline badseed

• Ride the adventure
  • KTM 990S, KTM690R , Vespa 200GT
    • www.wildwood.capetown
While you guys are investigating find out about the blown shocks and differentials that also seem to be a problem on the 1200's.

Maybe it's just because the guys use them for extreme enduro ???
Owner WildWood Motorcycle Tours South Africa