Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Sardine's DR650 - The Adventures of Sardine and James  (Read 37166 times)

Offline Ri

• Bikermouse
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 Admirer
Re: Sardine's DR650 - The Adventures of Sardine and James
« Reply #180 on: November 18, 2015, 04:15:22 pm »
Get over it !!!!!.....Just get on that bike and ride ...you can do it ....I've seen you do it...so what's the problem. :eek7:
C'mon Heather , just take it low and slow  :thumleft:   

Hehe I must respectfully agree. You've done it, so you know you can. Push a little past your comfort zone every day, and go practice on dirt - your mind will trick you that it's softer to fall (I know mine does  :patch:)

Every time I hit dirt I quietly freak out, so I loosen my grip, relax my shoulders, open up and pray. We're light(ish), we just skitter over the sand and bounce from rock to rock   :ricky:
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #181 on: November 23, 2015, 05:58:57 pm »
So on Thursday, I got on the bike and rode.
I rode through a bit of sand, on some gravel and grass.
And through telling myself to "Relax, keep the weight back, weight the pegs", I had an enjoyable 30km ride, half of which was offroad. We discovered that there are actually some nice places to ride, just down the road from my house.

Phew.

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #182 on: November 23, 2015, 06:25:19 pm »
Dry there too :eek7:
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline 0012

• Double-oh-Tkwarf
  • Race the rain. Ride the wind. Chase the sunset.
« Reply #183 on: November 24, 2015, 07:45:54 am »
lekker rural, ek like dit  :thumleft:

->    TransAlp 650 - sold
:(    Yamaha XT1200Z - written off - R.I.P.

Offline Ri

• Bikermouse
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #184 on: November 24, 2015, 06:49:01 pm »
 :thumleft: :thumleft:  :sip:
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline Morokai

« Reply #185 on: January 14, 2016, 01:11:34 pm »
Nice you riding again!

A bit of a story about confidence.....

I have a friend who's wife wanted to start riding, so we convinced her to buy a DR. Lekker, got one, lowered the suspension ( she is tiny ) and she rode on tar, no worries.
They moved to Namibia and on her first ride on dirt, hit sand in a corner, and had a BAD fall. Going only 30km/h the handlebar fell on her leg and broke her Tibia  :o

Couple of months went buy for the healing process. When she was ready, bought a mountain bike ( to teach the 2 wheel-riding-balance-skills ) and after a bit they bought a cheap DT175. Now she is riding that DT like a queen. Sand, tar, hard pack, twee spoor....alles

Maybe riding a tiny, lightweight bike for a bit will help build the confidence again  ??? 
Fear is temporary, Regret is forever.

DR650SE, DRZ400E, KTM300 XCW

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #186 on: January 14, 2016, 04:22:15 pm »
Nice you riding again!

A bit of a story about confidence.....

I have a friend who's wife wanted to start riding, so we convinced her to buy a DR. Lekker, got one, lowered the suspension ( she is tiny ) and she rode on tar, no worries.
They moved to Namibia and on her first ride on dirt, hit sand in a corner, and had a BAD fall. Going only 30km/h the handlebar fell on her leg and broke her Tibia  :o

Couple of months went buy for the healing process. When she was ready, bought a mountain bike ( to teach the 2 wheel-riding-balance-skills ) and after a bit they bought a cheap DT175. Now she is riding that DT like a queen. Sand, tar, hard pack, twee spoor....alles

Maybe riding a tiny, lightweight bike for a bit will help build the confidence again  ??? 

Hi Morokai,

Riding a smaller bike first is definitely the way to go.
The day I fell at the track, I did two laps on my bike, then two laps on my friends' DT175. Once I was back on my bike I already felt more comfortable. Maybe that's why I overcooked it and fell  :ricky:

But, no bike for me until March; I am climbing Kilimanjaro in less than a month, and don't want to break anything, That, and I just spent a fortune fixing my car, so I can't afford the go-go juice  :-\

Offline Morokai

« Reply #187 on: January 24, 2016, 10:36:12 am »
Then just borrow your buddy's DT  ;D

But lekker, enjoy Kilimanjaro, will definitely be an epic adventure
Fear is temporary, Regret is forever.

DR650SE, DRZ400E, KTM300 XCW

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #188 on: March 14, 2016, 03:32:20 pm »
Well, now that I have come back from leave, I can no longer use the "I don't want to ride my bike in case I fall and break something, and then I won't be able to hike Kilimanjaro" excuse.

I got back to Maun on the 2nd of March, and went for a ride on the 10th.

My housemate, neighbour and I set off in search of the Buffalo Fence (which is about a 5min flight north of Maun).
I was on the DR, my housemate on his 125cc pitbike, and my neighbour on his DT.

It had rained a little the day before, so the sand was fairly firm, and we did about 12km of gravel-highway type stuff. I even attempted some sand, and after a few very tense minutes decided that this wasn't DR-territory (at least not for my level of experience).

But eventually we ran out of nice roads, and still hadn't found the fence. So I took over the DT, and my friend took the DR, and we ventured into the sand. And boy was it thick!

I almost feel the DT was worse than the DR; the DR would just sit. The DT was all over the place, and I was almost flung off a few times... and after saving it, I would inevitably be heading straight towards a tree.
After maybe 30 minutes of intense sand, I made the call and said it was time to head back. It was nearing 11am, and we hadn't found the fence. Plus it was getting hot. Very hot.

On the way back the DT succeeded in flinging me off. Onto my right hand side- the side I always manage to fall on. I got up and got back on, but am still feeling pretty tender, almost a week later.

After the fall, I discovered that the DT likes 3rd gear and good speed through sand. It got squirly a few times, but a little blip pulled her straight.

At the end of the day (by that I mean Lunchtime), we covered a total of 60km :)

Offline FrancoisTz

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #189 on: March 14, 2016, 03:49:14 pm »
"Onto my righ-hand side - the side I always manage ......   :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank amongst those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #190 on: March 14, 2016, 03:59:06 pm »
"Onto my righ-hand side - the side I always manage ......   :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:

;)

It's true though  :-\

2014: Cracked a rib and stretched ligaments in my shoulder - right hand side - fell in mud
2015: Dropped the bike squarely on my right leg - fell in sand
2016: this latest fall.

Although, during the ride in the storm last year, I fell to the left   :biggrin: