Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Sticking it to toptv and dstv going to get streaming tv  (Read 72388 times)

Offline the_BOBNOB

• is not a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
    • View Profile
Re: Sticking it to toptv and dstv going to get streaming tv
« Reply #1180 on: April 16, 2018, 08:49:02 pm »

Offline Mr D

« Reply #1181 on: April 17, 2018, 08:15:01 am »
I have a question and if not applicable here please point me in the right direction.

We are in the process of getting fibre installed in our complex - lekker - I plan to get a 20 mbps line.

I rent out the flat in front of me (10 meters away max) and would like to know if I got a decent wifi router could I share the internet connection with the tenants and would 20 mbps be sufficient for both of us to stream at the same time.
All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible. T. E. Lawrence

Offline onderbroek

• Bike: Zero (all models)
  • not a GLOBAL MODERATOR
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: April 17, 2018, 08:51:06 am »
I have a question and if not applicable here please point me in the right direction.

We are in the process of getting fibre installed in our complex - lekker - I plan to get a 20 mbps line.

I rent out the flat in front of me (10 meters away max) and would like to know if I got a decent wifi router could I share the internet connection with the tenants and would 20 mbps be sufficient for both of us to stream at the same time.

I would say yes.
hak vrystaat

Offline the_BOBNOB

• is not a
  • Forum Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: April 17, 2018, 09:47:12 am »

It would depend if there is already fibre in the complex - if there is then easy - if not then you will need a fibre provider to come and role out fibre in the complex which can be major hassles.

Regarding the sharing - you can do that but might need to setup some dedicated wifi equipment - home wifi access points are generally not very strong if it has to go through 2 walls on your side and then 10m and then say 2 walls again at the flat it is not going to work.

You get wifi setups that can run for many many kilometers as long as they have line of sight - if your home router also has line of sight to the flat it should work as well.

The following users thanked this post: Mr D

Offline Mikie

• Kyalami - Jozi
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: April 17, 2018, 10:04:31 am »
All possible but I would set it up with some sort of Bandwidth limits,
With no limits nothing stops the tenants from hogging all the bandwidth and leaving you with a slow connection waiting for all sorts of thing sot download or stream
:paw:

Pronounciation:
M-aai-kie
My-Key

Offline Mr D

« Reply #1185 on: April 17, 2018, 10:08:43 am »
Thank you for the help guys.

Is this overkill? https://www.takealot.com/ubiquiti-nanobeam-m5-hp-16db-poe-dish/PLID33054444?gclid=Cj0KCQjwttbWBRDyARIsAN8zhbJQqIQPfuArJ-zkHe2B9uVnzZHdKULnT75tuK4RZiXgme0nbWL4a8MaAut2EALw_wcB

I will most likely ask for help setting up bandwidth limits as I was not even aware one could do that - smart idea that!
All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible. T. E. Lawrence

Offline sidetrack

« Reply #1186 on: April 17, 2018, 12:24:16 pm »
Thank you for the help guys.

Is this overkill? https://www.takealot.com/ubiquiti-nanobeam-m5-hp-16db-poe-dish/PLID33054444?gclid=Cj0KCQjwttbWBRDyARIsAN8zhbJQqIQPfuArJ-zkHe2B9uVnzZHdKULnT75tuK4RZiXgme0nbWL4a8MaAut2EALw_wcB

I will most likely ask for help setting up bandwidth limits as I was not even aware one could do that - smart idea that!
You will have to adjust the output power to the lowest setting, at 10m the units will scream each other to death. Rather look at the Loco M5's
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 12:24:57 pm by sidetrack »
Little by little, one travels far

J.R.R Tolkien
Ride reports :
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=134175.0 Penge's pass and the Old Forest http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=9421.0 - Orange Atlantic adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=7514.0 - 805 km day trip http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=20260.0 - East Cape Bash http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=70199.0 - Two KTM thumpers head north

Offline Vintage_Mania

« Reply #1187 on: April 23, 2018, 07:31:15 am »
Verantwoordelikheid mors al my tyd en geld!

Offline Groenie

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Ons gaan nou ry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: April 23, 2018, 08:32:48 am »
usb wifi sticky not so expensive

https://scoop.co.za/tenda-802-11n-wifi-nano-usb-adapter-w311m.html

I bought one of those.... KAK idea. Wasted R95. It's a POS
Don't look back, that's not where you're going.

Offline the_BOBNOB

• is not a
  • Forum Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: April 23, 2018, 10:03:21 am »
usb wifi sticky not so expensive

https://scoop.co.za/tenda-802-11n-wifi-nano-usb-adapter-w311m.html

I bought one of those.... KAK idea. Wasted R95. It's a POS

Funny my brother is running one of those on his desktop and have not had any issues.

But I guess you get good ones and crap ones.

Offline Ou Krokkedil

• Bike: BMW F700GS
  • Ride More, drink more BEER and stress less.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: April 24, 2018, 02:32:11 pm »
I would personally run a lan cable to the flat and then place a router inside the flat.  I tried using WiFi streaming and it gave me lots of issues. the 2.4GHz band is used a lot. if you can install 5Ghz equipment. I installed 2 LAN cables one to my room and one to the tv room I only have a 4mbs line and we stream very well. Sometimes when the kids watch u tube and we stream we buffer a lot.

I have not had dealings with fibre but if it is full 20mbs you will have a good connection.
I LOVE RIDING

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Husaberg (all models)
    • View Profile
Sticking it to toptv and dstv going to get streaming tv
« Reply #1191 on: April 26, 2018, 03:08:22 pm »
Anyone interested in a Xiaomi Mi Box 4K?

R1500 excl postage

« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 03:09:00 pm by Sláinte Mhaith »

Offline Vintage_Mania

« Reply #1192 on: April 26, 2018, 03:42:51 pm »
Very nice players!  :thumleft:

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Husaberg (all models)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: April 26, 2018, 08:32:00 pm »
Yes they are nice.  Friend imported a few and I am getting one from him. Was expecting more interest.

Offline Ganjora

« Reply #1194 on: April 27, 2018, 04:53:45 am »
Very nice boxes.
I have 2 h96 pro + boxes,  which are higher spec,  but they're not as good as these.

Offline Gene

• Bike: BMW (all models)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: April 27, 2018, 06:06:17 am »
I have my Giga tv, often the remote does not work, i have to take out the batteries and re- install it to switch on the tv, is is really a struggle,are there anything on the market that can perform better like apple tv ? Apple tv does not have an app for dstv streaming, so that one is out,i also used my Pc but it is a sclep to use with keyboard and mouse, anyone that can steer me in the right direction?
Sorry if this question was raised previously.

Offline Ou Krokkedil

• View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: April 30, 2018, 07:03:46 am »
I am so stressed out, my raspberry pi with Kodi and covenant stopped working. when I want to watch movies it gives me no streams available. when I watch some series I get streams and can watch it. I reloaded kodi and covenant

What is very strange is usually I get more than a 100 streams when I watch a series but now I get 5.

Do you think it could be that my IP/ Mack is being blocked by the servers.

Will a VPN work, I tried hooking up to windblocker but their servers keep rejecting me, it seems that you can only use a paid vpn on kodi

I also tried to load Netflix but it seems that you need an IT degree to run Netflix from the raspberry pi. None of the repo's I downloaded worked and the only solution seems to be to load Rasbian and chrome with only Netflix

I need a solution that will not be very expensive, I don't have moola to buy a tv box currently.

I LOVE RIDING

Offline manta

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Reborn on the forum as Manta
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: April 30, 2018, 07:58:42 am »
I am so stressed out, my raspberry pi with Kodi and covenant stopped working. when I want to watch movies it gives me no streams available. when I watch some series I get streams and can watch it. I reloaded kodi and covenant

What is very strange is usually I get more than a 100 streams when I watch a series but now I get 5.

Do you think it could be that my IP/ Mack is being blocked by the servers.

Will a VPN work, I tried hooking up to windblocker but their servers keep rejecting me, it seems that you can only use a paid vpn on kodi

I also tried to load Netflix but it seems that you need an IT degree to run Netflix from the raspberry pi. None of the repo's I downloaded worked and the only solution seems to be to load Rasbian and chrome with only Netflix

I need a solution that will not be very expensive, I don't have moola to buy a tv box currently.
The exact same thing you describe happened to me. I changed to Neptune rising and that sorted out my issue.

Also make sure you are on the latest version of Kodi.

You can also load the Israel repository and then get their covenant add on. These are all things I tried that got me sorted in the past.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Offline Vintage_Mania

« Reply #1198 on: April 30, 2018, 08:57:59 am »
As manta said, mske sure you are up to date with at least:

Kodi
Your addons of choice
Movie Scrapers
URL Resolve

The links and servers change all the time and you need to keep the resolvers up to date.

Offline Ou Krokkedil

• View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: April 30, 2018, 09:32:43 am »
As manta said, mske sure you are up to date with at least:

Kodi
Your addons of choice
Movie Scrapers
URL Resolve

The links and servers change all the time and you need to keep the resolvers up to date.

Ok what is Movie scrapers and What is URL resolve.  :patch:
I LOVE RIDING