Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 2014 Amageza Cross-Country Rallye - build up thread  (Read 103336 times)

Offline BV

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
Re: Amageza 2014 (Kalahari Safari): Entries Open
« Reply #160 on: March 02, 2014, 09:01:34 am »
Anybody have the link for the bike specs? Water tank etc?
Ktm 250 2t ktm3002t Husqvarna 300 TPI
ktm 450 RR Husqvarna 701
KTM 950 x2

Offline Camelman

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • If it was easy, everyone would do it.
    • Amageza Rallye
« Reply #161 on: March 02, 2014, 05:02:03 pm »
http://amageza.com/web/nutshell.html

Very last sentence.  :thumleft: Click on the 'View' link.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 05:07:30 pm by Camelman »

Offline Camelman

• Race Dog
    • Amageza Rallye
« Reply #162 on: March 03, 2014, 10:09:46 am »
Next year is the fifth year anniversary for Amageza. And we are racing South to North.

We are hard at work with stakeholders to make next year a 9 day rallye from Cape Town to Lusaka in Zambia. You will race four days then have one rest day, then race four more. You will not be able to enter without a proper race CV, with at least one real navigational style rally on it.

If a route was marked in any way, shape or form, it does not count as a Navigational Rallye. A  Navigational Cross-country Rallye we define as a multi-stage event crossing more than 500km per day, with Liaison and Special Sections and overnighting in different locations,  where your only means of navigation was a road-book scroll and compass heading. If you have done any Amageza Rallye, you will qualify.

We will also be launching a competition where a lucky entrant will win a free entry into the Amageza 2015. To qualify for the competition you need to finish the 2014 Amageza Rallye.

We are going to aggressively market this in Europe, USA and Australia. So if you have been riding the fence, enter now and join the 2014 Amageza Rallye. You will not find a more cost effective rallye in the world.

The Amageza Rallye is major bang for a minor buck!

Offline N[]vA

• Adventure Geek Extreame!
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
  • Adventure Geek Extreme!
    • Adventure Geek
« Reply #163 on: March 03, 2014, 10:37:30 am »
epic news :D
So much of win it hurts! ^.^

http://www.adventuregeek.co.za/

Offline Camelman

• Race Dog
    • Amageza Rallye
« Reply #164 on: March 03, 2014, 10:53:48 am »
Jim on facebook had a interesting idea.

For 2015 you can enter the 'South African' leg only. So you race with us for two or three days, then we wave you goodbye at the border.

For a guy on a extreme tight budget, this means you can experience three or so days of the Amageza.

I like it. Good idea!  :thumleft:

Offline markdiver

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • It's better to burn out, than fade away!
« Reply #165 on: March 03, 2014, 12:07:18 pm »

Alex, I know it is early days, but following that link, from what I can see, does not show anything about the bike specifics, water tanks, like BV has asked.  Maybe I am not reading it correctly, but I see nothing.  Please help asseblief Meneer.   :thumleft:
Mine - BMW 1200 ADV, KTM 450 RR; HUSABERG TE 300; Goes 320 Quad
Missus - BMW 650 GS.

>< ( ( ((º >`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•...¸>< ( ( ((º >

Offline markdiver

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • It's better to burn out, than fade away!
« Reply #166 on: March 03, 2014, 12:09:35 pm »
Jim on facebook had a interesting idea.

For 2015 you can enter the 'South African' leg only. So you race with us for two or three days, then we wave you goodbye at the border.

For a guy on a extreme tight budget, this means you can experience three or so days of the Amageza.

I like it. Good idea!  :thumleft:

Absolutely dig the idea of both possibilities - will be a fantastic event.  Really hope it goes the way you want it to Alex.  NICE ONE!!!  :thumleft: :drif:
Mine - BMW 1200 ADV, KTM 450 RR; HUSABERG TE 300; Goes 320 Quad
Missus - BMW 650 GS.

>< ( ( ((º >`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•...¸>< ( ( ((º >

Offline Camelman

• Race Dog
    • Amageza Rallye
« Reply #167 on: March 03, 2014, 12:23:44 pm »

Alex, I know it is early days, but following that link, from what I can see, does not show anything about the bike specifics, water tanks, like BV has asked.  Maybe I am not reading it correctly, but I see nothing.  Please help asseblief Meneer.   :thumleft:

Its actually in the entry form. Part of the safety kit. Once you pay your Moto-Entry, you can download the entry form.

Its basically just a added 1 liter of water in a hard tank fixed to your bike. This is so when you go over your handlebars and burst your Hydration Pack, you still have some emergency water. I would go for 2 litres like in the Dakar, but for this year the minimum is 1 liter fixed.

This can take the form of a container fixed to the back of the bike like a  Wild@heart-type container. But it cannot be in a back-pack tied down to the back of the bike. The latter is lying all over the Northern Cape from previous failures!

What can also work is a tool-tube with a hydra-pack pack inserted, or a 1.5l plastic water bottle inserted in the tube.

So in total you need a Camelbak type water on your back with 2 liters, and 1 liter fixed on the bike. You want water, trust me. If its not a medical emergency, you may wait several hours if not longer for the recovery truck to get to you. Thats why you need water and purification tablets.

Offline N[]vA

• Grey hound
    • Adventure Geek
« Reply #168 on: March 03, 2014, 12:29:00 pm »

Very last sentence.  :thumleft: Click on the 'View' link.

Its actually in the entry form. Part of the safety kit. Once you pay your Moto-Entry, you can download the entry form.

Its basically just a added 1 liter of water in a hard tank fixed to your bike. This is so when you go over your handlebars and burst your Hydration Pack, you still have some emergency water. I would go for 2 litres like in the Dakar, but for this year the minimum is 1 liter fixed.

This can take the form of a container fixed to the back of the bike like a  Wild@heart-type container. But it cannot be in a back-pack tied down to the back of the bike. The latter is lying all over the Northern Cape from previous failures!

What can also work is a tool-tube with a hydra-pack pack inserted, or a 1.5l plastic water bottle inserted in the tube.

So in total you need a Camelbak type water on your back with 2 liters, and 1 liter fixed on the bike. You want water, trust me. If its not a medical emergency, you may wait several hours if not longer for the recovery truck to get to you. Thats why you need water and purification tablets.

Trust me if you do end up waiting for recovery you want all the water/liquid you can get

Offline Pleco

• Interesting experiences in the DRC
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • What happened to the rest?
    • Bekker
« Reply #169 on: March 04, 2014, 11:02:23 am »
Safety Officer here :deal:

I see a lot of speculation about how tough, how long, which size bike, what safety equipment etc.

As BB said in some posts, you will be doing about 10 to 12 hours on the bike. So I would suggest you pack your bike with all your kit, then map out 800kms to 900kms of dirt road one way. Ride the dirt road while sticking to the 100km/h speed limit and go and sleep over at the end of it. Ride back the next day. Then repeat.  :deal: This will be one day short of the 5 days coming up, with no special stages, so it will not prepare you for the difficult parts. But it would give you the mental notes of the time and energy involved just to ride. You would also sort out your equipment and machine niggles.

(I did this return trip to Upington and back from CT in January 2012 before that Amageza. It was in 45 plus heat, and I was down and out for 2 days afterwards. Without this prep, I would have broken down mentally in the Amageza halfway through day 1.)

Do not come to the Amageza and do a 5 day x 10hr ride for the first time there. It would be like jogging around the block to prepare for the Comrades. You won't make it, and we would have to recover you after day 1. :eek7:

There are only 2 differences between the Amageza and the Dakar. 1. Its currently 9 days shorter 2. The specials are run in tougher riding terrain to keep the racing speeds down.

We had 3 days last year. We lost avg of 10 riders per day, and only one was due to injury. This thing is as tough as its gonna get.

Does not really matter what you ride if you are well prepared and look after your machine and yourself, you will make it. But PREPARE, TRAIN and look after machine.

HP2 HPN Smile generator
(Sold)BMW 1200GS. (Old bike, Old rider, New engine)
(Sold)Kawasaki: The art of arriving! 
If you have to watch the road more than the scenery, then you are riding too fast!

Offline N[]vA

• Grey hound
    • Adventure Geek
« Reply #170 on: March 04, 2014, 12:22:33 pm »
To give you an idea the training ride I did this weekend was 260km of special stage terrain that took about 9 hours to ride in total and cost 5600 odd calories. Add on top of that 400-800km of liaison in a day and having to navigate through it all.

If you are not fit enough to cover the distances and terrain involved with some room for tumbles and time lost you are going to fail sooner or later. Your fitness needs to be up to scratch otherwise you will get tired and start making more mistakes on the navigation side that will cost you repair/sleep time. and so it begins to get worse and worse and worse
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 12:23:47 pm by N[]vA »

Offline tour

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
« Reply #171 on: March 05, 2014, 07:32:06 am »
What Nova said is right. People watch dakar and think O yeah no probs i can do that. Well guess again.
Get your EGO in check first. Big ego big fail.
Get super fit. I mean ironman fit.
You gotta be able to ride and consentrate hard for 12 hrs straight.
When you want to give up for the 3 rd time. You cant. You must continue
Your bike must be 100%. The type or size is not super important but the machanics is.
I was caught out with ama 3 and almost didnt make it on all 3 days. Fitness wasnt in check but all other things were 100%. So dumb luck helped.
This year it will be double of last year. So be sure that you want to do it. Be sure you can handle the failure. Be sure you really got the balls and not just internet chat. Be sure and get ready.
It can be one of your best achievements or it will break you. So be sure that you are ready to do it and willing to commit.

Offline wayneh

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BSA (all models)
    • South Africa's dual-sport motorcycle rally
« Reply #172 on: March 05, 2014, 11:02:48 am »
…While ask any finisher... the feeling of reward, accomplishment & privilege of being a member of the exclusive club of Amageza Rallye finishers, is worth every bucket of blood, sweat & tears.

:notworthy:

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #173 on: March 05, 2014, 05:26:45 pm »
Well said Tour and Wayne!

There were 45 starters last year, and 17 finished. It was only 3 days long. Who know how many would have finished had it been 5.

Everyone was ready for it, most had prepared well, but only 2 out of every 5 guys made it.

Think about that.

You have to do everything you can to improve your chances of a finishing, because you are going to need all 9 nine lives plus some luck and a blessing and only then if you have prepared 100% as Tour says will you have a hope of finishing.

Pissies will never be heroes. :paw:
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline tour

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
« Reply #174 on: March 05, 2014, 07:00:12 pm »
Heros are not made in politics
Heros are not made in business
Heros are jot made on the rugby field
Heros are jot made in WAR

Heros are made when others quit, when your at the end of the line and keep marching on, when your buddy needs help changing his tyres in 40'C. When you finish the

AMAGEZA 2014!!!

So who really has what it takes???
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 07:41:37 pm by N[]vA »

Offline Camelman

• Race Dog
    • Amageza Rallye
« Reply #175 on: March 05, 2014, 07:45:42 pm »
Heros are not made on the rugby field
Heros are not made in WAR

Heros are made when others quit, when your at the end of the line and keep marching on, when your buddy needs help changing his tyres in 40'C. When you finish the

AMAGEZA 2014!!!

Give this man a Bell's!  :thumleft:

Offline Dutchie

« Reply #176 on: March 05, 2014, 09:53:37 pm »
Heros are not made on the rugby field
Heros are not made in WAR

AMAGEZA 2014!!!

Give this man a Bell's!  :thumleft:
Would even have given him a nice whiskey instead... but I fear the grammar police...  ;)

Offline Camelman

• Race Dog
    • Amageza Rallye
Re: 2014 Amageza Rallye
« Reply #177 on: March 11, 2014, 07:20:34 am »
After some convincing, we have added a 'Adventure' class to the rallye. So if you have a mate who would like to scope out the Amageza, this is the perfect opportunity. The Adventure class will follow most of the Liaison routes and detour the Selective Sections (Specials). The difficulty level will be moderate, with some sand, river crossings and rocks, but all easily doable with a Adventure bike.

As the Adventure riders can also hire a transport package, it means they have a unloaded bike to ride each day, making it much more enjoyable. They require no roadbook, just a GPS, as they will receive a track with each briefing for the next day. (The route differs slightly, so don't get excited rallye riders!  >:D. You'll still have to navigate the liaisons on your roadbook!)

So please let your adventure mates know, it going to be a blast.

Here is the link to the ride, its also on the website.
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=146876.0

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #178 on: March 11, 2014, 04:56:28 pm »
That's a great idea Alex!! I hope the Adventure riders will let the rally guys pass so we don't have to ride in the dust.  :peepwall:
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline Camelman

• Race Dog
    • Amageza Rallye
« Reply #179 on: March 11, 2014, 05:26:40 pm »
That's a great idea Alex!! I hope the Adventure riders will let the rally guys pass so we don't have to ride in the dust.  :peepwall:

The Adventure guys will start after the Rallye guys, and their track will differ slightly. If however you get stuck with something broke, you might be stuck behind some Adventure guys, if the route overlaps.

On the other hand, if you're stuck, well 50 helpers might be on their way! That's if you're fortunate enough to have a issue on a Liaison.  ;D

But seriously, I do agree with BB. This is a good way to check out the Amageza Rallye if you're not sure if you want to make the leap from 'Biking is my hobby', to 'Biking is my sport, my passion, my all, I'll sell my soul...'.

Personally, I'm a lost cause, like BB. Touring lost its glory the moment I set eyes on a road-book scroll. That was love at first sight!