Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 2014 Amageza Cross-Country Rallye - build up thread  (Read 101061 times)

Offline LoopSoosStroop

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-250 Rally
  • Long live the TTR
Re: Amageza 2014 (Kalahari Safari): Entries Open
« Reply #80 on: January 22, 2014, 02:26:23 pm »
What fuel capacity is required?

Max dist between fill ups is 250 km.

Offline N[]vA

• Adventure Geek Extreame!
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
  • Adventure Geek Extreme!
    • Adventure Geek
« Reply #81 on: January 22, 2014, 02:49:55 pm »

last year was 250km not sure about this year yet
So much of win it hurts! ^.^

http://www.adventuregeek.co.za/

Offline Scooterbike

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #82 on: January 22, 2014, 03:42:09 pm »

What is that on a 450, 20L?
AT (rooi moses); Husky 501, Husky 250

Offline darthvader

« Reply #83 on: January 22, 2014, 04:06:02 pm »

What is that on a 450, 20L?

FI, yes, Carb... would be cutting it close!

Offline Cracker

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #84 on: January 22, 2014, 04:18:37 pm »
Ok, I have some questions regarding the support vehicles (I tried to find this info in the guide and online, apologies if I missed it):

1. What is the cost of entering one support vehicle and one support team member (and what is free if you enter a team of 5, vehicle or support team member entry)?

2. What equipment is compulsory for them? (e.g. Radio, GPS, roadbook ect).

3. Where can they sleep, do they also buy the camping option per person?

Have some mates who are interested.

Email Alex directly - you'll get quick answers (let us know what they are)

As far as I can tell the support crew pays zip, except for the food and camping packages - I hope so at least. All I really need is one oke in a car to get me to upington and back from CT, AND take me home if I bomb out in between. I'd still send the trommels with the amageza truck, just in case the support vehicle/crew has a problem.
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline N[]vA

• Adventure Geek Extreame!
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
  • Adventure Geek Extreme!
    • Adventure Geek
« Reply #85 on: January 22, 2014, 04:20:29 pm »
Ok, I have some questions regarding the support vehicles (I tried to find this info in the guide and online, apologies if I missed it):

1. What is the cost of entering one support vehicle and one support team member (and what is free if you enter a team of 5, vehicle or support team member entry)?

Email Alex directly - you'll get quick answers (let us know what they are)

As far as I can tell the support crew pays zip, except for the food and camping packages - I hope so at least. All I really need is one oke in a car to get me to upington and back from CT, AND take me home if I bomb out in between. I'd still send the trommels with the amageza truck, just in case the support vehicle/crew has a problem.
R1000 per support vehicle unless your "team" has 4 (maybe it was 5) people I think?
So much of win it hurts! ^.^

http://www.adventuregeek.co.za/

Offline Camelman

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • If it was easy, everyone would do it.
    • Amageza Rallye
« Reply #86 on: January 23, 2014, 07:25:32 am »
Good morning gents!

It is not possible for me to read and answer all the questions raised across the worlds forums, so I stick to reading email and making sure that the info is present on the website.

Your primary source of information should be the Amageza website: http://amageza.com. Specifics of each purchasable item is described in the shopping cart, accessible on the aforementioned website.

The Dakar also have fuel stops at a max of 250km. They still ride with 32l of fuel each. Why?

• You can get lost
  • You riding ability in technical or sandy terrain.

Like you riding gear and helmet, you have it for the critical chance that you might need it.

Offline wayneh

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BSA (all models)
    • South Africa's dual-sport motorcycle rally
« Reply #87 on: January 23, 2014, 03:16:29 pm »

Cost is R1000 per support crew, for the length of the rallye. This cost is for the crew (2x support people).

Support crew will be allowed access to the Bivouac area. They will have a number.

A Support Crew entry consists of:
- A single vehicle with a trailer.
- A maximum of two support personal. Email entry@amageza.com to enquire about larger support crews.
- Each competitor is allowed a single Support Crew Team entry.
- A single support vehicle can support a maximum of 5 competitors.

If 5 riders enter as a team, a single Support Crew entry is free for the team. This means you will not need to pay the R1000 for the support crew (the service spot at every bivouac). So chat to your mates and form a team.

Support crew are totally self sufficiant. No recovery or medical support wll be rendered by the orginizers.
No compulsory equipment required… but the following will come in handy: GPS (to nav to bivouacs & along the liaisons - if you choose), water container, First Aid kit, field camping equipment if you have to overnight in the bush).

Meal and Camp products can be purchased online. But each Support Crew Team will automatically have a single spot allocated to them - this is in the service area. So your support crew can sleep on the same spot… if they are comfortable sleeping with earplugs. If not, they can get an additional camping package @ R375 per person, for the length of the rallye race days (3rd to the 7th November).

;D

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #88 on: January 23, 2014, 04:29:20 pm »
I would be interested in contributing as part of a team of EC guys with a Support Crew ...
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Offline wayneh

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BSA (all models)
    • South Africa's dual-sport motorcycle rally
« Reply #89 on: January 24, 2014, 03:02:50 pm »
I would be interested in contributing as part of a team of EC guys with a Support Crew ...

Hi Dom, Try hook up with Darthvader, saklx650c & REVS… all three are rallye riders living in your woods.  :deal:  ;D

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #90 on: January 24, 2014, 03:11:54 pm »

Hi Dom, Try hook up with Darthvader, saklx650c & REVS… all three are rallye riders living in your woods.  :deal:  ;D

Cool thanks.
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Offline bonova

• Race Dog
  • Get busy living or get busy dying
« Reply #91 on: January 24, 2014, 04:39:41 pm »
I've registered. Haven't paid yet as i'm broke....long story, but soon as my salary is in i'm in!
already started to warm up my right wrist so that it can hold the throttle full open for hours on end!
BMW F650 DAKAR ; BMW 650 X-Challenge ; YAMAHA 660 TENERE ; BMW 800 GS KTM 200EXC. Now - KTM 950 Adventure S, KTM 250 XC-W and BMW 450 Rally

if u are interested in something no matter what it is, go at it full speed ahead, luke warm is no good, hot is no good either, white hot and passionate is the only thing to be...

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #92 on: January 24, 2014, 04:44:05 pm »
Just something to think about guys: In sand dunes you will only get 250km with about 32L and not a lot to spare. I'm sure the Orga has thought about this in terms of their fuels stops. I guess that the range they are talking about is 250km on a semi sandy road.

Wayneh, maybe you can tell us a bit more about this?

Anyway I would not be comfortable with anything less than 20L...25L would probably be a better idea.
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline Camelman

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • If it was easy, everyone would do it.
    • Amageza Rallye
« Reply #93 on: January 28, 2014, 07:36:19 am »
Added another tyre transport to the trunk/tyre transport product. Transport for the following is now included in the package:
  • One trunk
  • Three tyres.

Why three?

Your front should last you easily unless you have a epic disaster. So one spare front is enough. The rear you might want to change on stage three as stage 4 and 5 are most likely to be a marathon stage with absolutely no support, not even your trommel. What you have on you is what you have. So pack a extra jock in your Camalbak.  ;D

To keep up with current development you might want to keep a eye on the Amageza News: http://amageza.com. Click on the 'News' tab.

If this marathon stage happens  (still sorting this one out), we will provide the basic necessities,  it will be over the legendary stage of Springbok to Cape Town via Sutherland.  >:D And we all know Sutherland, don't we. Weather is created there.  :biggrin:
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 07:37:48 am by Camelman »

Offline nelf13

• Race Dog
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
« Reply #94 on: January 28, 2014, 08:23:49 am »
This is going to be an epic race :thumleft:

Offline bonova

• Race Dog
  • Get busy living or get busy dying
« Reply #95 on: January 28, 2014, 12:14:26 pm »
Paid for my competitor entry.... so Rider 101 is green for GO!!!!
BMW F650 DAKAR ; BMW 650 X-Challenge ; YAMAHA 660 TENERE ; BMW 800 GS KTM 200EXC. Now - KTM 950 Adventure S, KTM 250 XC-W and BMW 450 Rally

if u are interested in something no matter what it is, go at it full speed ahead, luke warm is no good, hot is no good either, white hot and passionate is the only thing to be...

Offline aka.Goliath

« Reply #96 on: January 28, 2014, 01:05:31 pm »
I have been meaning to email Alex but I still think I should say, that before I pay almost R15000 of my hard earned cash as well as everything else needed to prep my bike, I would like to know exactly what is needed to enter and pass scrutinizing. As far as the entries state any bike can enter but then you start thinking and reading about fuel stops, on board water, etc. And now the cost of entering and prepping my bike are escalating.. I now see you will get the rules once you have entered but I would not be able to budget properly and know if I can afford to race this year before entering and paying. I certainly don't have the cash to fork out on extra things to be able to participate and enjoy myself beyond my budget. Can anyone maybe help me clear this up or perhaps have the rules already and willing to share them with me. I really would love to race this year and made it a goal for this year. Then again I may be overly concerned as I have never ridden a rally before.
BMW 1150 GSA - 2004
KTM 690R - 2014
KTM 300 X-CW - 2012
KTM 530 EXC Rally - 2011 SOLD, KTM 690R - 2009 SOLD, BMW 1200GS 2009 SOLD

Offline MaxThePanda

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Vespa (all models)
  • As in 'Even more Panda'. Also likes sharks.
    • Team 525
« Reply #97 on: January 28, 2014, 02:48:52 pm »
Paid and IN!

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #98 on: January 28, 2014, 04:21:45 pm »
aka.Goliath, I think the starting point is to go through the Amageza 2013 thread - It will give you a good idea of what is needed. Check out the Index in this forum for all Amageza and rally related stuff. :deal:

Without trying to be funny, half the battle with an event like this is getting to the start - it is not going to be handed to you on a plate. If that sounds a bit unfair, don't forget this is the toughest race in Southern Africa, if not Africa. Its important to do your homework.

Paid and IN!

This is great! Does this mean we will get to read a legendary RR about this as well?

« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 04:22:14 pm by BlueBull2007 »
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline Cracker

• Grey hound
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #99 on: January 28, 2014, 05:05:22 pm »
aka.goliath, there's nothing special you don't know already. I can't recall the rules but I read through them and nothing jumped out at me that I need worry about.

250ks between fuel stops
1 litre on-board water - I'll be hiding 2 x 500ml coke bottles somewhere on the bike, or similar
2-way radio - you gotta have one, no matter what the specs are
roadbook
ICO - I'm trying to work around this one
Garmin GPS able to record 10000 points
All your snacks, drinks and other food not in the price you'd be buying anyway

Besides what I'm gonna give to Amageza I'm counting on another R5k for transport and accomodation in CT somewhere.

I've never ridden a rally but besides navigating with a pictured toilet roll, the terrain and the bike are gonna be the same as usual

E-mail Alex - he answered a couple queries I had very quickly.
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!