2014 Amageza Cross-Country Rallye - build up thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Camelman

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 690 Adventure
2014 Amageza Cross-Country Rallye
01 November 2014 to 08 November 2014

2014_banner.jpg

Foreword:
As you may or may not know every year has been a challenge for Amageza. We were the first and still are the longest Rallye-Raid type event in Southern Africa. Sponsors are also non-existent, so we must make do with what we got. This makes planning and executing the Amageza a tight operation. There is no room for error.

The objective once more for Amageza is:
  • Keep it affordable for the average South African working stiff to take part.
  • Add the bell's and whistles as a extra to those with deeper pockets.
  • Make the stages once more rival those found on the Dakar, although judging by Dakar 2014 we will have to up the level!

Important: The Amageza website, https://amageza.com, should be your primary source of information. It is not possible to answer nor respond on all the various forums. Below is just a guide, the website and shopping cart has the specifics.

The duration of this year's event will be 8 days. This year we are having a 5 stage rallye. Starting in Upington in the Northern Cape the rallye will first move North into the Kalahari dunes, then work its way South to the finish in Cape Town. There will be one Marathon stage where you will have no trunk, no support. After starting the SS on the stage before you will ride with what you have on you, until reaching the bivouac the next day. We will have two days scrutineering and public events on the 1st and 2nd of November 2014 in Upington before starting the race on 03 November 2014. On the 8th we will have a morning prize-giving in a very public spot in Cape Town. Once I have signed the docs, I'll make the venue public.

We will also be using a deLorme Satellite tracker for each rider. They use the Iridium satellite network with 100% coverage everywhere. This means we can go safely off-piste in uncharted territory, and also make a interface public where viewers can watch live tracking of all the riders.

In 2013 we tried the instant reporting method via forums and facebook. This worked great. This year we will add to that by trying our hand at a live Youtube feed from the rallye ops center.

This year will also be a Motorsport South Africa sanctioned event. This will enable us to make spectator points available for those wishing to follow the rallye.

I would like to thank each and everyone of you for your support be it as a competitor or supporter. Without you the Amageza would just have stayed a idea.

Alexander

Summery

Before you click-away, just read the following please!
-> Entries available: There are only a limited number available due to the tracking units being ordered.
-> Read the contents of the 'Enter' tab, and all the sub-tabs. This will ease your pain a lot.
-> Shopping Cart: The entry mechanism for this year is a standard on-line shopping cart. Buy what you need. The mandatory products are:
  • Moto Entry: This is your bike.
  • Competitor Entry: This is you.
  • MSA Event License: This is your one event MSA License. Amageza Racing is a club, so we can issue temp licenses for non-MSA riders. If you have a National MSA license you can ignore this.
  • Satellite Tracker: Up to this point we could not track riders adequately. After testing various units on Amageza 2013, I'm purchasing a deLorme inReach for every entrant. This way we can track each rider 100% and the rider has a SOS button for when he is in critical need of medical help. You rent the unit, but get 50% of the fee back if you return it undamaged.
-> Discount are applicable up to 30% for competitors who had entered a previous Amageza. It does not matter if you finished or not. If you paid your entry fee, you are eligible for the discount. Discounts are applicable on the Moto Entry and Competitor Entry only. If you fall in the category, first register and wait until I place you in the correct discount category, then add your products.
  • One Amageza: 10%
  • Two Amageza's: 20%
  • Three Amageza's: 30%
-> Support Vehicles: Are allowed this year. If you and your buddies form a team of 5 riders or more, you get your team entry free. One vehicle per team. Support vehicles are allowed on the Liaison and Bivouac. I know that this may be a bone of contention, but many riders have fallen out due to something stupid like a broken chain, while on the liaison. Because he has to now wait for the recovery truck, or recover himself to the nearest town, he cannot get to the Selective Section, thus loosing out on the stage, and the finishers medal. The cheapest option is still to race in the 'Unsupported' category, ie. Malle Moto. See the shopping cart description for specifics.
-> Accommodation: The bivouac will be located in a town. There will be various options available to you. There is no need to sleep in the bivouac. Those wishing too, must pack there own tent daily in the trunk for transport, and put it up themselves. You can purchase a Camping Spot on the cart.
-> Meals: Same thing as accommodation. You can purchase meals from the cart or eat when and where you feel like. Some want to eat at 05:00, others can't. This makes it your choice.
->Refunds: This is always a b!tch to administrate, so make sure you choose correct before you check-out. Within 7 days of payment you can get a full refund, after that only 50%. No matter what your reason. It costs about R15000 to recce one stage. This money comes from the entry fee's. If too many riders cancel, Amageza goes into the red. That puts massive strain on my marriage!  ;D
->Entry Form and Rules: This is available from the cart when logged in, once your status is 'Complete'. Its complete when your 'Competitor Entry' order is paid. Why?
  • I want to know who is downloading the documentation.  :deal:
  • Entry forms is admin. I hate admin.  :mad: If you paid, I love admin!  :thumleft: I have a day-job too, so time management is critical.
-> Payment: Pay what you order. Buying a meal package does not mean you have reserved a entry. As long as all you require is paid by 1 August 2014. Start with the most important, then follow with the rest:
  • Competitor Entry
  • Moto-Entry
  • Tracker Rental
  • MSA Fee
-> Questions: If you have a issue with anything email or call me. Nobody on this forum can help you with your question quicker than a email to me will sort you out!  :3some:

Let the mayhem begin!  >:D

https://amageza.com/web/index.html

Lets all give WayneH a hand for once more creating a great banner for us!  :thumleft:

2014/02/02 Entry Requirement
Please review the website 'terms' section. Hit F5 if it lists requirements to enter. It should just show you a single paragraph.

2014/07/19 Regulations
We have exemption for the route for non-roadworthy vehicles. But if you get caught off-route on a chicken-run, then you're on your own. The exemption is only valid for routes applied for. Anything else is illegal.

You as a individual still needs to be licensed according to your engine size:
  • Bike: Valid learners/ International License acceptable.
    Quad: Car license or bike license to fit engine size.

2014/07/21
You need a mirror so you can see the guy foaming at the mouth trying to pass you, and before he injures himself or you, let him pass or he can lodge a complaint with the Clerk of the Course and you can get a time penalty.

You don't need indicators if you have arms.

You don't need a license plate if you stay on route.

You need 1 litre of fixed water to your bike, and 2 litre on your back.

You need fuel for 275km.

You need a drivers license as stipulated on aforementioned website!

You need a MSA club license or temp one.

Other than this, you need everything listed on the entry form. The entry form is available for download once you paid your competitor entry. If you're not going to commit, then why do you want to download it?  :deal:

2014/08/01
First round of entries close. Further entries are available till 1 September 2014, but no discounts are applicable. The Iridium Satellite tracker is still available for all entries till 1 September 2014.

2014/08/15
The rules are available for download:  https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BySSjxmITS8jVmdkZkMzWkxkS2s/edit?usp=sharing

Attachments

• map.jpg
    map.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 2,618
Status
Not open for further replies.