Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Buff's 2014 Offroad Series (WC) - Caledon RR on Pg2 with pics  (Read 3880 times)

Offline Wihan

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Husaberg (all models)
Re: Buff's 2014 Offroad Series (WC)
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2014, 10:57:45 am »
Thanks guys  :thumleft:

Caledon didn't quite go according to plan but I finished the race in one piece and that's all that counts I guess. I'll post a detailed RR in the week after working through the video footage  :thumleft:

Buff...does it ever...? At least you're out there doing it! :thumleft:

Offline Buff

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2014, 10:08:53 pm »
Caledon RR - Jan 2014

So the first WPATV race of the season has come and gone and as I sit here with my bruised body and still aching muscles, I can’t believe it’s been a year since I started racing Off-roads. So much has happened and I’ve met so many cool people that it feels like I’ve been involved in it for a lifetime.

Ok, so we’re not here to reminisce and get teary eyed, you want to know what went down on Saturday past in the wheat fields of Caledon.

I was a lot more prepared for the first race of the season this time around. One year on and my wife is enjoying the sport as much as I am so she and my 2 young daughters and their babysitter were my “official” pit crew.

Having just bought a new Beta 300RR, I was also part of the Cayenne@Droomers team, along with Gideon (GJ) & Rensie Joubert and Erich Luff, all aboard the new 300RR’s. Take note, I paid my way in, the rest were there due to talent.

This was literally my 4th ride on the Beta and I was more than a little nervous of what to expect. I was still trying to get used to the suspension and the torque of that little 2 stroke motor. It’s simply mind blowing the way it pulls out of corners and lugs up embankments but the suspension is harsh and needs to be bedded in.

After the formalities of confirming registration and re-activating timing transponders, we line up on the grid (which is in a field). I’m seeded in the 7th row based on last years results.

The Start Line:

The flag drops and I dump the clutch and hole shot my group to the left hander under the bridge. The track makes a sharp right hander over a little rocky water crossing and up an embankment and already one or two riders have taken the wrong line.

The little water crossing:

I’m hanging cable and not hearing bikes behind me and I’m thinking “Wow, this Beta hauls ass, I’ve dropped these okes already”. The track goes through a road culvert and opens up onto a flowing farm road and I close the gap onto the riders that left 30secs ahead of me but the dust is so bad that I cannot get close enough to consider a pass.

Culvet:

Dust

We drop down off a hill and cross a broader rocky water crossing before turning left. As I grab a handful the rear steps out and I nearly lose it. I correct it and go again and it steps out the other way and I realize something is wrong. I pull over and check the rear tire… it’s flat!!!

Damn man!!!! My disappointment was tangible. I pull off to the side of the track and it’s confirmed, totally flat.  I consider riding the loop with it flat but I’ve still got 30 odd kilometers to go and I know I’ll destroy my tire & rim. I do a u-turn and take short cut through the cut wheat fields back to the pits. I’m met with disbelieving faces as I mention my problem. My wife says “Well, it’s just as well, you jumped the flag and they’ve given you a 1min penalty”. LOL… no wonder I heard no one behind me the first few kays.

The Cayenne@ Droomers team jump into action and start replacing my tube. I suggest swopping out the rear wheel with David’s 450 but he’s marshalling with it. They replace the tube and then pinch it when installing so we’re back to square one.
Just then David returns with his quad, the 450 has died with a flat battery so they take a quad bike trip back to it and strip it of its rear wheel. Time is ticking and I realize my race is done so I take a chill pill and try relax as best as possible under the circumstances. It’s a part of racing I’m going to have to get used to, $#@*& happens.

The team gets the wheel sorted and I’m out of the pits into my first lap. I realize that my race is run as I’ve lost around 40mins but at least if I can put in a few clean laps I can maybe get one or two points on the board, anything is better than a DNF.
Ready to roll:

The route is awesome, there’s no bikes in front of me and no dust so I’m able to give it stick. The first half of the track is mostly flowing farm roads & tracks with the odd crossing of wheat fields and some off-camber riding.

Dave & Chelsea giving me a cheer:

Plowed ruts that coursed chaos when it at speed:

Gareth's KTM's motor decided now was a good time to call it quits:

The fun really started when we dropped into a technical riverbed section. Normally this riverbed would not pose too many problems but the water level was higher than normal for this time of the year and it was chocolate brown so you couldn’t see the bottom. The result was that we couldn’t make out where the deeper holes were and a few riders suffered the misfortune of a drowned bike, including my team mate Erich who took his Beta for a swim.

In some places the whole front wheel was under water:

Mud and rock made life interesting:

My training partner and fellow WD Eben also took his KTM swimming. I stopped and suggested to Eben he lie his bike over and drain the water out of his carb. He reach down into his bike, grabbed a pinch of sand in his fingers and let it fall from them, “You don’t understand” he said “this shit is in my carb” … Yikes !!!

Eben letting the sand fall from his fingers:

So I left him to fight the battle and continued on, basically finding a stranded rider around every corner in the river bed. Even Tau suffered the misfortune of a stranded Yamaha when a lose coil wire got wet and the bike died on him. Tough luck on his comeback ride  :-\. Fortunately he got it sorted with the help of David and he was able to finish the race (and lap me).

Tau:

GJ lapping me in the riverbed on lap3 (I'm never going to hear the end of that  ::) ):

GJ coming undone:

Exiting the riverbed section:

Somewhere around the midway point of the lap I got passed by Brett Lewis and the rest of the front runners who were running on a 40 – 45min lap pace. The speed of these guys is just something to behold, it never seizes to amaze me how fast they are able to go over terrain like this and still remain in control of their machines  :o.

Brett and I searching for a missed marker:

From there I’m met with some more open stuff interspersed with a few muddy crossings and some sections of open riverbed where the flood from 3 weeks earlier has left grassy covered silt & mud which makes for interesting lines when hit at speed. The ruts formed from 70 bikes going over it makes life very exciting.

On my 2nd lap this section taught me a proper lesson when I hit it hard and my front wheel rutted and I binned it rather spectacularly. The landing was fairly soft but somehow the bars nailed me hard on both thighs. I tried to get up quickly but I couldn’t put weight on my left leg to lift the bike and I initially thought I’d broken my femur. Fortunately it was actually just a solid “lummy” from my handguard punching my inner thigh and the pain eased after a few minutes. Suddenly I had way more respect for the course and my paced slowed noticeable till I got some confidence back.

I wasn't the only one who struggled with the mud though, many riders fought a war out there:

I arrive at the monster climb of last year which rattled my cage and caused me all kinds of untold grief and they’ve been merciful and reversed it this year and it’s a descent.

The descent:

I ride it comfortably and head towards the next big challenge, Hamburger Hill. This year it has a Chicken Run on it and because I have nothing to lose, I take the easy way up. To be honest, I think it was quicker than the actual climb because you could maintain a good pace all the way through it. On my 2nd lap I noticed 3 riders stuck on the hill as I descended into the valley and I slotted in just in front of them as I went over the top after taking the CR.

The lap finished with a nice little challenging piece of off-camber along the side of a koppie before I descended into the waiting hands of my welcoming pit crew.

Finish point:

Besides the big fall in lap 2, I had a clean run without any issues but in lap 3 my wheels came off when I started to cramp badly in my forearms (possibly from gripping my bars in a death grip) and later my upper thighs. I’m a bit perturbed by it as I’ve put in quite a lot of work on my MTB over the New Year and I was expecting a little more from myself. I’ll definitely need to up my fitness levels if I hope to finish my first 2 day Enduro in Barrydale in March.

I managed 3 laps of the course in a time of around 3hr 22min and even manage to score some points in the Masters category by placing 8th and 38th overall which all things considering, I was pretty pleased with.

Of the Beta boys, Rensie placed 5th in the Open class, GJ (Gideon) placed 2nd (mooi ou toppie) & Erich “the Luffwafer” placed 7th in Masters with me in 8th. We have our work cut out this year, the competition is fierce.

Next WPATV race is on the 29th March in Wellington. See details on the club page at www.wpatvclub.co.za
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 08:37:35 pm by Buff »
Present bikes: BETA 300RR, KTM 690, Yamaha WR250F

If you're dumb you gotta be tough !!!

Offline GJ

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
Re: Buff's 2014 Offroad Series (WC) - Caledon RR on Pg2 with pics
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2014, 11:17:47 pm »
Mooi Buff,moet nooit opgee nie .Dit sal beter gaan,ons moet meer op my baan oefen.Ek was ook nie tevrede met my plek nie

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2014, 12:03:25 am »
Respect Buff.. keep at it  :thumleft:
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline Rynet

• Vendors
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2014, 06:29:33 am »

Of the Beta boys, Rensie placed 5th in the Open class, GJ (Gideon) placed 2nd (mooi ou toppie) & Erich “the Luffwafer” placed 7th in Masters with me in 8th. We have our work cut out this year, the competition is fierce.

Next WPATV race is on the 29th March in Wellington. See details on the club page at www.wpatvclub.co.za

Thanks Buff  :thumleft:, I enjoyed reading the RR, and seeing the pics gives one an idea of the toughness of it. :o well done for finishing .  :thumleft: :thumleft:

Ps how does the classes work ?, I see GJ won a prize for being good looking .  :imaposer: But , yes what is the difference between Open and Master's class ? 

Offline Buff

« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2014, 06:34:24 am »
Mooi Buff,moet nooit opgee nie .Dit sal beter gaan,ons moet meer op my baan oefen.Ek was ook nie tevrede met my plek nie

Don't stress it Kaptein, if it wasn't for that barbed wire in your rear wheel the masters win would have been yours  :thumleft:

But you're right, we need to put in the hard yards at Boelieplaas.

Offline whitedelight

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2014, 07:29:38 am »
Nice one Brett. We saw a lot of bikes on trailers that afternoon heading back from Caledon. Then saw a lot more between Caledon and Riviersonderend.
Rather live one day like a lion than 100 days like a sheep

Offline GJ

• Race Dog
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2014, 07:52:06 am »

Thanks Buff  :thumleft:, I enjoyed reading the RR, and seeing the pics gives one an idea of the toughness of it. :o well done for finishing .  :thumleft: :thumleft:

Ps how does the classes work ?, I see GJ won a prize for being good looking .  :imaposer: But , yes what is the difference between Open and Master's class ? 

Spot ma,ek kan nie help eks so lelik nie :imaposer:

Offline Buff

« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2014, 08:02:17 am »
Rynet, the Classes are mostly based on age.

Open - for the young racing snakes and the older snakes that still think they are young.

Senior is 35-45

Masters - 46-Retirement

Women

Silver is an open class, sort of one level down from Open.

Social - Those starting out.

Offline weskus

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Vrek gewerk!!
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2014, 08:03:18 am »
Shot Buff, fiksheid en ritme is altyd die storie veral as mens begin moeg raak, ek laas week saam klomp youngsters om baan gaan ry en om die minste te sê het hulle my lekker afgedek na rondte nr 5, en al verder tot-en met rondte nr 10, fitness, fitness...
Vorige scooters : Suzuki TS 185, Honda CD 200, Suzuki PE 250, Kawasaki Z650, Yamaha 495 IT, Kawasaki KLX 300, BMW F 650 GS Dakar, BMW F 800 GS, KDX200, KTM300, Suzuki GSXR1000, Honda CD200, KTM 1290 Superduke (stukkend geval) tans KTM 990 Adv - toer,  KTM 300 XCW- funrides,Honda Z50 Monkeybike(projek), Honda ST70 Dax,Honda S110 Benly, Honda C110 trail, Yamaha RS125, Honda CX500 Custom - bar toe..

Offline Buff

« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2014, 08:55:14 am »

Yep weskus, you're spot on, fitness plays a huge role in this game, as does skill. Both allow to get more done with less effort. The first thing that goes when you get tired is your form, then you starting hit rocks & holes that you wheelied effortlessly over in the first 2 laps and the whole ride turns into a fight, you vs the bike & terrain. It's a fight you seldom win  :-\

Offline Breekbeen

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Zero (all models)
  • Whiskey for my men and beer for my horses.
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2014, 09:37:54 am »

Yep weskus, you're spot on, fitness plays a huge role in this game, as does skill. Both allow to get more done with less effort. The first thing that goes when you get tired is your form, then you starting hit rocks & holes that you wheelied effortlessly over in the first 2 laps and the whole ride turns into a fight, you vs the bike & terrain. It's a fight you seldom win  :-\

O F@k, Ek het nie een van die twee nie.
Luck nog minder, sal maar net my bes moet gee.
Great RR Buff, see you next weekend. :thumleft:
YAMAHA T7 :-) ;YAMAHA WR450F ; YAMAHA XT660Z TENERE '12(sold)

Vrugte boer........poephol vrugte

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2014, 03:59:03 pm »
Lekker Buff!!! Thanks for this thread as well. :thumbleft:

That first race looked like carnage. How many peeps dnf?

I'm curious to hear how the others guys found it.

Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline GJ

• Race Dog
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2014, 04:42:34 pm »
Lekker Buff!!! Thanks for this thread as well. :thumbleft:

That first race looked like carnage. How many peeps dnf?

I'm curious to hear how the others guys found it.

Dit was maklik ,Buff is n soutie so hy kannie nie pyne vat nie :pot:

Offline Rynet

• Vendors
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2014, 06:05:38 pm »

:imaposer: no GJ you are a very nice (older) model hehe .  >:D :biggrin:

and thanks Buff for explaining the classes , I couldn't understand why GJ was in the open class but I see one can still choose   :thumleft:. Anyway ,all the best you boy'tjies.  :3some:

Offline Buff

« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2014, 08:55:48 pm »

:imaposer: no GJ you are a very nice (older) model hehe .  >:D :biggrin:

and thanks Buff for explaining the classes , I couldn't understand why GJ was in the open class but I see one can still choose   :thumleft:. Anyway ,all the best you boy'tjies.  :3some:

GJ in the Open class? There's no way that old fossil would ride Open class, they'd ride rings around him  ;)
He's in Masters class with me the bloody old ringer.

@ BB, I'm not too sure of the DNF list but it wasn't too hectic, many of the guys got their drowned bikes running again... eventually  :)

Offline Pom17

• Race Dog
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Cobus van der Merwe
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2014, 11:13:38 pm »
Great stuff buff. Loving your reports as usual. Goodluck this year.

Offline Rossdog

« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2014, 10:00:56 am »
Nice read Brett. Keep it up and show us what Old Dalians are cable of.
'69 Model.

Offline Cracker

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2014, 09:48:51 pm »
some great pics and commentary there - I dunno how you know where you're going or at least, where you've been.

When I've finished a loop I can remember just bits and pieces - mostly the bad bits

that RR just makes me wanna go ride ..........  :thumleft: :thumleft:
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline Buff

« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2014, 02:18:13 pm »
some great pics and commentary there - I dunno how you know where you're going or at least, where you've been.

When I've finished a loop I can remember just bits and pieces - mostly the bad bits

that RR just makes me wanna go ride ..........  :thumleft: :thumleft:

Cracker, we mostly do loops of between 35 - 45km's in the WC, so if you're in a hurry, you'll fit in anything between 3 - 6 loops in a race, depending on how technical it is.
Generally by the 3rd loop you have a good idea of where you're going and what to look out for.

And then watching my bugger ups on the GoPro afterwards also helps jog my memory  ;)