Fuel filter relocate

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ianb

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 790 Adventure R
We all know the problems with fuel pumps at about 20 000kms, Well it actually starts with a old blocked filter that is in the tank.Then the pump overworks and gets hot then packes up.Here are picks of a simple mod you can do.Just some points,When you remove the outlet pipe from the top of the tank you must undo the 2 small screws and remove that white fitting before you cut the clamp off with sidecutters .That white fitting can break,so work gently.The other point is when you finely remove the filter ,there is a small o ring that may come out with the old filter you must make sure it is re used or there will be no presure .I made up a dummy filter that takes the place of the old filter,If there is interest i can make more.I then bought a BMW K1000 external filter and fitted ,per pics,The original pipe is tight to push onto the filter but it does work,I then bought 7mm fuel pipe from Midas and made a big loop on top of the tank ,to relieve the angle and not have any kinks,you will also nead 4 clamps.Now I can replace my filters every 20 000 kms.