Road rage?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turbobok

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR125L
Hi,

I'm not sure how this post will be received.

Wednesday evening I was heading out of Cape Town on the N1 around 10PM, and overtaking a truck. I guess I was doing just over 120km/h. At that moment, a gentleman on a 800GS came up between myself and the truck doing massive overspeed, 140+ kph. As he passed us, he swerved into my lane, a few mm from the front of my bonnet. I had seen him coming in the distance (orange headlight cover) but wasn't expecting the overtake maneuver. As he sped off, I have two flashes of the lights - "That was close bud, keep it calm". I guess I expected the finger and him to move along - I didn't give it much thought. Next thing, he looks in mirror and slams on brakes, and I am forced to follow suit. Now I'm a little confused - is everything alright? He then pulls into the yellow lane on the inside of the road and I move past. My subconscious kind of knew what was about to happen, but I didn't have time to react. He accelerates, and plants a foot directly on my drivers side wing mirror, bending it forwards, and scarpers off the next off ramp.

I was left a tad confused. I ride just about daily, and I've never felt the need to inflict physical damage on someone else. A few muttered swear words, fine. I should add the gentleman in question was wearing no ATGATT - just a helmet. The damage to my mirror was minor, a small scratch.

Now, I have a full description of bike, the helmet, and a number plate gathered from myself and other occupants of the car. Does one move further with this, or simply write it off as the rider having a bad day. I'm curious how two well meaning light flashes escalated to "I'm going to do damage to your car, while putting myself and other road users at massive risk"?

It wouldn't be difficult to get a name and street address from the plates - done it before for other reasons. Not entirely sure I want to face this not-so-level-headed individual, but that kind of behaviour surely can't be the norm? Opinions?