Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 1200GS rear Brake pad wear  (Read 6806 times)

Offline Draadwerk

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • My job? Just something I do between rides....
Re: 1200GS rear Brake pad wear
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2014, 11:52:13 am »
Trudie's 2014 LC is always in ROAD mode and she seldom if ever apply rear brake.

How will one know if there is a problem on wear (without looking obviously) while riding? Will there be a sound or smoke or any indication at all?
None of us are really thinking of the rear brakes when using the front.

All my boxers (Oilies) have never required rear pads before at least 30k km and this "less than 10k" talk worries me.

Remember that the rear brake works even if not applied due to the duel braking system.

I have not checked my LC close enough yet, but the previous model had marks on the retaining pin showing wear on the pads.  Sort of a 90%, 60% and 30% wear marker.

Indeed, and if you have a Nav V connected, you can look at the stats afterwards and see exactly how many times you used which brake, although front brake is used most of the time, even in enduro mode and doing offroad.

You will note that even just using front break, the stats show about 40% of all braking is the back in any event. When doing gravel and in enduro mode, the front is used about 30% and the back the rest, although you omly used front brake on most occassions.

Offline BennNevis

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2014, 01:44:08 pm »
FFS how does nobody at BMW SA or Germany apparently not know. It is an issue!

Two years in a row on our Alpine road tour to Motorrad days in Garmish were there bikes that required brake pad replacement during the tour.

I replaced mine in Italy at a Honda dealership  who had stock of BMW parts as it is a common problem. With the replacement pads I managed not even 2000kms when they had to be replaced again by BMW. Admittedly we did Stelvio Pass twice up and down and were riding much harder and faster than just touring. The brakes are linked and no matter how you brake, especially in road and dynamic mode, the rear brakes get activated

Offline TheBear

« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2014, 01:57:56 pm »
FFS how does nobody at BMW SA or Germany apparently not know. It is an issue!

Two years in a row on our Alpine road tour to Motorrad days in Garmish were there bikes that required brake pad replacement during the tour.

I replaced mine in Italy at a Honda dealership  who had stock of BMW parts as it is a common problem. With the replacement pads I managed not even 2000kms when they had to be replaced again by BMW. Admittedly we did Stelvio Pass twice up and down and were riding much harder and faster than just touring. The brakes are linked and no matter how you brake, especially in road and dynamic mode, the rear brakes get activated

Short life span on rears is nothing new.  I found the pads on my 2009 didn't last that long either.  Around 10000km.  Even less if pads for KTM or Honda, that also fitted BMW caliper as they had less meat on them.
.#BRADICAL!

Offline BMW GS Motorrad Fan

• Sandton Auto BMW Motorrad
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2014, 08:05:26 am »
I only ever use the front brake on my bike. The only time I really ever use the rear brake is when I'm pulling off from a very steep incline and don't want to roll backwards.

I had a look on my BMW Navigator V yesterday and found that according to the GPS I've used the front brake around 4,000 times ... & the rear brake around 7,000 times  ???

Offline OomD

« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2014, 08:12:21 am »
I only ever use the front brake on my bike. The only time I really ever use the rear brake is when I'm pulling off from a very steep incline and don't want to roll backwards.

I had a look on my BMW Navigator V yesterday and found that according to the GPS I've used the front brake around 4,000 times ... & the rear brake around 7,000 times  ???
Strange, my Nav also shows a higher usage count of the rear brake, while I definitely use the front more. Another stupid thing is that you have to remove the Nav form the cradle to see these stats. Someone didn't think this through.

Offline Lord Knormoer

• is nog 'n kinders :-)
  • Wassie ekkie!
1200GS rear Brake pad wear
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2014, 08:54:36 am »

I had a look on my BMW Navigator V yesterday and found that according to the GPS I've used the front brake around 4,000 times ... & the rear brake around 7,000 times  ???
Strange, my Nav also shows a higher usage count of the rear brake, while I definitely use the front more. Another stupid thing is that you have to remove the Nav form the cradle to see these stats. Someone didn't think this through.

I think they thought long and hard about looking at these stats and the risk associated. This way they are relatively sure it is only done when you are not riding the bike.

The brakes are linked and will always first start with the rear milli seconds before the front. If you feather the brake lever, chances are only the rear is activated resulting in the higher rear brake activation count.

Offline OomD

« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2014, 09:45:42 am »

I think they thought long and hard about looking at these stats and the risk associated. This way they are relatively sure it is only done when you are not riding the bike.

The brakes are linked and will always first start with the rear milli seconds before the front. If you feather the break lever, chances are only the rear is activated resulting in the higher rear brake activation count.
Or maybe the front activating the rear adds to the count, as does your foot on the pedal. On which case the rear will almost always have a higher count than the front... unless you don't use the rear (pedal) at all.

Offline OomD

« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2014, 09:55:20 am »

The brakes are linked and will always first start with the rear milli seconds before the front. If you feather the break lever, chances are only the rear is activated resulting in the higher rear brake activation count.
Jaaa, I dunno hey. They could've simply restricted it to when your speed is 0, or the engine is not running. It makes it stupid because for this you need to have the unit removed, but for the info screen you need to have the unit attached. They are not that different, both screens give you a lot of information to look at, both can equally distract you.

Offline TheBear

« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2014, 10:28:11 am »

I had a look on my BMW Navigator V yesterday and found that according to the GPS I've used the front brake around 4,000 times ... & the rear brake around 7,000 times  ???

Your bike have linked braking.  Touch the front brake and the rear also engages.

As for the Nav stats, I can't say for sure, but just think how often you do touch the rear pedal in a normal day. 
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 10:29:42 am by AMZ »
.#BRADICAL!

« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2014, 07:44:33 am »

Jaaa, I dunno hey. They could've simply restricted it to when your speed is 0, or the engine is not running. It makes it stupid because for this you need to have the unit removed, but for the info screen you need to have the unit attached. They are not that different, both screens give you a lot of information to look at, both can equally distract you.

I agree with you 100% OomD  ???

« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2014, 07:46:06 am »

Your bike have linked braking.  Touch the front brake and the rear also engages.

As for the Nav stats, I can't say for sure, but just think how often you do touch the rear pedal in a normal day. 

You're probably right AMZ - I must actually make a mental note to check how often I touch the rear brake.

Offline K-9

« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2014, 12:36:25 pm »
GSA LC I replaced the back pads at 9200kms, i saw it coming so i carried spares. (just in-time and it was nearly metal to metal) and carry a spare in my topbox.

agree the GPS i think it is a safety thing, so you have to be stopped to view the stats.

and i think when you pull the front brake it counts as a one front and one back and the foot brake you touch anyway so three counts.  but i need to check it.

Great family 4x4 accommodation ... see Facebook, Google maps and airbnb.. Mkulu Kei / Wild Wind Ranch

Bikes owned in the past: AC50, AC100, SP370, XT185E, GS550CE, DL650 V-strom, GS650, DR650, GSA1200 2009, GSA1200 2011: GSA1200LC 2014, GS800.

Still own or sponsor today: GSA 1200 LC tft adventure 2018, Honda CTX200 bushlander, Yamaha rhino 660, GS800 2011 (daughter), GSA1200 adventure LC 2016 (son).

Offline K-9

« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2014, 02:36:11 pm »
GSA LC:  first pads changed at 9200 kms, second set of pads changed at 17822 kms.  so only did 8622 kms on the second set.  both sets of pads changed with very little meat left.  according to the GPS i use the back slightly more than the front. 
Great family 4x4 accommodation ... see Facebook, Google maps and airbnb.. Mkulu Kei / Wild Wind Ranch

Bikes owned in the past: AC50, AC100, SP370, XT185E, GS550CE, DL650 V-strom, GS650, DR650, GSA1200 2009, GSA1200 2011: GSA1200LC 2014, GS800.

Still own or sponsor today: GSA 1200 LC tft adventure 2018, Honda CTX200 bushlander, Yamaha rhino 660, GS800 2011 (daughter), GSA1200 adventure LC 2016 (son).

Offline Lord Knormoer

• Wassie ekkie!
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2014, 05:01:28 pm »
I am on 11000km and my first set of rear pads. Clearly I brake less than average.

Offline Draadwerk

• Forum Whore
  • My job? Just something I do between rides....
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2014, 06:47:15 pm »
On 12400 and also still first set.

Offline BikerJan

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2014, 03:45:36 am »
Mine is just over 9 000km's and also still on the first set

Offline K-9

« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2014, 09:01:49 am »
i have been thinking about the pad wear.

90% of my riding on the GSA LC is two up, with full boxes, my GSA LC is for pleasure trips ONLY.  That could be why only get about 9300 kms on a pad.

i have a GS800 for daily use, short trips and going to Durban and back.

also as i ride two bikes i don't want get into the habit of using (connected) front brakes only.

Offline Lord Knormoer

• Wassie ekkie!
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2014, 10:09:48 am »
I am on 12000km and starting a 4000km trip today. Had the rear pads checked by BMW and still have 70% left.

I clearly do not use my brakes :thumleft:

Offline TheBear

« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2014, 10:20:56 am »
I am on 12000km and starting a 4000km trip today. Had the rear pads checked by BMW and still have 70% left.

You need to go faster than 10km/h to need brakes Sir Moer.   :ricky:

I am at 7000km.  No idea how much I have left as I keep forgetting to check.  The better half is at 16 000km and going, but she rides like a girl .... or Knormoer. 
.#BRADICAL!

Offline Lord Knormoer

• Wassie ekkie!
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2014, 01:06:06 pm »

You need to go faster than 10km/h to need brakes Sir Moer.   :ricky:

I am at 7000km.  No idea how much I have left as I keep forgetting to check.  The better half is at 16 000km and going, but she rides like a girl .... or Knormoer. 

Yes :imaposer:

You realize the brakes are for slowing down, I do not do that too often which is evident when you look at my rear tyre wear :deal: