Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Bike shops not what they use to be  (Read 4071 times)

Offline Nomad

Bike shops not what they use to be
« on: January 21, 2014, 11:47:42 am »
Is it just me or has the quality of service that motorcycle stores including dealers become very SLAPGAT?

I dropped my DL and need a price for a new mirror and clutch lever. I phoned the Suzuki agents and they just thumb sucked the price saying the mirror is between R 300 and R 600.
Asked another stealer and they said they will phone me back which they never did

Phoned a Yamaha dealer asking for a price of a piston kit for a BWS 100. The parts salesman just gave me the price of the piston alone. Asked him for the prices of the rest and said he will phone back which guess what, never did.

Phoned a aftermarket parts and accessories store for the BWS piston and all the dude said was its in the region of R 1200.

Is it too hard to give a accurate quote for parts now days? Are the people these stores are employing not suitable for the job but were hired cause they are simply "cheap labour" ?

Offline AgentK

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLE 500
  • aka Agent K dubbel O S
Re: Bike shops not what they use to be
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 11:55:29 am »
Gets worse.

Was looking at buying NC700X.
Phoned 3 Honda dealers to get price with panniers & topbox fitted.

Still waiting on all three to call back... 6 months later.

Offline Nomad

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 11:59:14 am »
Gets worse.

Was looking at buying NC700X.
Phoned 3 Honda dealers to get price with panniers & topbox fitted.

Still waiting on all three to call back... 6 months later.

Wow now thats messed up! Do they make so much money that they don't require any new business.

Offline BLK

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 12:03:43 pm »
I think bike shops are attracting poor quality employees to save money and that is the result that your are experiencing.I think you a quite right that there is a downward trend in quality.

Offline cloudgazer

• RPMods
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
    • fontera
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 12:05:40 pm »
I think bike shops are attracting poor quality employees to save money and that is the result that your are experiencing.I think you a quite right that there is a downward trend in quality.

Not just bike shops. Any shop.
Most shop assistants don'r get proper training or are not sown how to use their initiative.

Offline Dorsland

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Opsaal kerels!
    • Patriot Boerbokstoet
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 12:59:58 pm »
In February last year before we moved to the Eastern Cape,  I bought a bike stand from Biker's Paradise in Potchefstroom.  I used it 3 times and the fourth time it broke.  I took it back to the shop and asked for a refund of R850 (cost of the stand).  The guy (Anton) said he would talk to the supplier and come back to me. Guess what?  Still waiting for my refund.  I've been on his case the last 2 weeks and he calls me yesterday to say he will refund me R600 as the supplier won't accept the stand back because it all happened last year!  :dousing:

If Biker's Paradise wasn't so slapgat in getting their act together I would have had my full refund.  I've agreed to the R600 as something is better than nothing but be warned guys.
'Tis the time’s plague, when madmen lead the blind.

King Lear

Offline Sylvester

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2014, 01:07:18 pm »

+1

Business owners/managers/dealer principals should also be actively involved in the business, especially bike shops.  You need a hands-on manager type for this business and not somebody that locks himself up in his office and leave the floor/counter to the mercy of the inexperienced pimple face. 

I consider myself a pessimist. I am therefore always right...eventually.

Online Gérrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • HKGK !!!
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2014, 01:32:20 pm »
And lets not even start talking about product knowledge.

I went into a bookshop the other day and on purpose asked for books on "pharology" (lighthouses) I get this perplexed look and the suggestion I look in the history section for books on Egypt  :imaposer:
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !

Offline Nomad

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2014, 01:42:09 pm »

+1

Business owners/managers/dealer principals should also be actively involved in the business, especially bike shops.  You need a hands-on manager type for this business and not somebody that locks himself up in his office and leave the floor/counter to the mercy of the inexperienced pimple face. 

Totally agree! I was at the suzuki dealership numerous times and they seem to be constantly changing staff. Also never see the owner there anymore, not even on a saturday.

What bugs me the most is that these half wits that they employ dont appreciate the job they have. There is so many people with the know how that will easily out perform them at their job but the company is so focused on reducing costs they have would rather not pay the little bit extra for competent staff. Its scary seeing the trainees that are passing at our one goldwagen branch. Training use to take about 3 months fo a salesperson . Now they are in and out within a week learning next to nothing.

Offline Dux

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2014, 02:23:38 pm »
I emailed details of a client to one of the dealers , all they had to do was contact my client and have a ready made cash sale , she is still waiting more than a year later , and that was after I phoned them the following day to remind them .
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
073 232 5389 / 065 967 4661
Unit 6 Viben square
8 Viben Road , Brackenfell

Offline Grrrr....

• ...eats seeds as a pastime activity.
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • If you trim your tree beware the roots.
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2014, 02:31:07 pm »

Most shop assistants don'r get proper training or are not sown how to use their initiative.

Yip. You must remember only morons work in retail.

Offline ETS

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Adventure S
  • Die Punda van Prieska
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2014, 02:48:24 pm »
And lets not even start talking about product knowledge.

I went into a bookshop the other day and on purpose asked for books on "pharology" (lighthouses) I get this perplexed look and the suggestion I look in the history section for books on Egypt  :imaposer:

:laughing4: :laughing4: Methink i would have said the same.... :laughing4:
If i had to explain you would not understand anyway......

Offline Dux

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2014, 02:59:35 pm »

Yip. You must remember only morons work in retail.

Now that is rich Mr Egg seller  :biggrin: :biggrin:

But then again bear in mind that these same people give advice to clients who treat it as gospel because the bike shop told them , scary thought that

Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
073 232 5389 / 065 967 4661
Unit 6 Viben square
8 Viben Road , Brackenfell

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2014, 03:12:45 pm »
I think the industry as a whole is taking strain, in many cases the salesman is not at fault, a lot of the blame has to be directly with the dealerships and their suppliers, they are not holding stock like they used to, almost every part has to be ordered from overseas so you are looking a weeks in the waiting , and it becomes difficult to quote correctly and quickly.

Go to Honda and try to order a Transalp fairing.. I bet R1000 there is no way they have in stock and can quote me.
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline MooseRider

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 600 Z
  • Stofpad langs
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2014, 07:51:41 pm »
Is al so moeg om 'n dom uitdrukking en k*k antwoord te kry by van die plekke. Of die uitdrukking wat se kry tog klaar ek wil my naels doen.
Laat waai Meraai
As jy dom is moet jy leer!!!
Yamaha DT 125 Enduro (Sold)
Suzuki GT 200X5 (Stolen)
Yamaha XT 600 Z Tenere (Sold)

Offline fredda

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2014, 06:49:26 am »
I have no faith in any dealer, be it car or bike.

Bought a new bike at Wayne Heaseman. When I got home I noticed the front right indicator has a deep scratch mark on it. Probably a tie down or something. Said they will have a look at it on the 1000km service, only to be told they need the bike there for the whole day to check the indicator out. So they will attend to it at the 6000km service. When I told them it is no good and I needed it fixed sooner, they arrogantly ask why can't I wait till 6000km? My answer was, I bought a new bike and I expect a new bike. Waiting for their call this week, but I am not holding my breath.

On my bakkie, GM dealers are just useless.
My bakkie went in for a new petrol pump, so they droppep the tank and fitted the new pump. Got my bakkie back, but when driving the right rear wheel brakes a lot more than the others. So much that the paint started bubling.
On further inspection, it turned out they never tightened the bolts holding the steel straps, holding the petrol tank. So the bolts came out and the fuel tank was lying on the handbrake cable!!! :dousing:

On other occasions the oil filter was not tightened, brake fluid all over the wheel arches and firewall, I could go on but I will refrain.
Current bike: 2011 BMW R1200R

Offline Ganjora

• Race Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Drug War Veteran
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2014, 07:01:00 am »
i agree that most bike salesmen,  and spares depts are completely useless.
i wonder how a lot of them stay in business with their attitudes to customers.
4ways motorcycles,  which used to be excellent,  is now a joke.
loxton's suzuki closed down - thank fuck,  they were really pathetic
linex yamaha,  also used to be brilliant,  but no more.

2 shops stand out head and shoulders above their competition.
Honda Sandton - actually phone you back for spares,  and a very efficient sales dept - will definitely go back there
RAD Moto - same as honda sandton,  in fact maybe a bit better - an absolute pleasure dealing with them.

Offline JonW

• Hilton Hound
  • Global Moderator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Boss Hoss (all models)
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2014, 07:47:47 am »
We got 2 main bike shops here in Pmb, Motorcycle Centre who do Suzuki Honda and Kawasaki, and Ekerold Yamaha.

Both are excellent. Guys in the spares department have been there for years and really know their stuff, and always come back to me straight away with prices etc.

So I guess it depends on which bike shop you talking about.
How can I be lost if I've got nowhere to go?

Offline Karel Kat

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • 'Burn Babilaan an de wicked'
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2014, 08:12:30 am »
Can't complain about Mike Hopkins in CT. The times I had to phone for spares, they immediately responded with accurate info on availability and price. Once or twice when I fetched the parts and had to pay, it was even a little bit cheaper than the price originally quoted. I think the difference lies in an experienced staff with a love for the product.

This is unfortunately not the case at many of the other bike/accessory shops - and, Jupiter, you were unfair  ;) . I think that salesman should be commended for the fact that, even if he was wrong, he made a link to Pharaos and from there to Egypt.
Proudly colonialist dog walker and brannewyn libtard

Offline COLES

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2014, 09:05:03 am »

I have found that should you not deal with the boss man you have kak    phoned BMW dealer spoke to parts about price of oil for my L C reply I got was that he could not tell me now he was busy but would call back

Well my next call was to the parts manager price for the oil given immediately

Just plain kak service yet the bike salesman Joel is really on top of his game