Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Tornado Owners Thread  (Read 13796 times)

Offline Namakwalander

• Bike: Honda XR250 Tornado
    • View Profile
Re: Tornado Owners Thread
« Reply #220 on: April 24, 2018, 07:02:13 pm »
I thought you lads would be interested in my correspondence with Veda Motors in Brazil r.e. the 293cc upgrade kit for the Tornado. I received this email from them today. This sales guy is super helpful. Just a quick look at courier, it's going to cost about R1000.00 so probably about 2k all in. Really not bad. I'm going to get a kit if we can work out the logistics.

Based on your information, we are pleased to submit to you the following proposal:

Code: P400210101001
         Description: CYLINDER KIT HDA CBX/XR 293 79 mm, comprised of:
  Cylinder
  Piston kit (piston, rings, pin & circlip)
  Top end gasket set
         Price: USD 54.98                                                                 
         Freight: by customer
         Delivery time: 01 (one) working day after down payment
         Estimated shipping weight: 2.9 kg
         Overall dimensions: 18 x 20 x 20 cm

If you are interested in ordering this item, please kindly confirm the information below, then we may give you the instructions for the payment:

First name & Surname
  Complete address
  Phone

Also, we have more items available for this motorcycle model, e.g. air filter, oil filter, connecting rod, engine valves, clutch discs, and a complete range of gasket kits. For further information, please visit our website: www.vedamotors.com.br and click on ENG for English version.

We are looking forward to receiving your order confirmation.

With Best Regards,
Giulliano Q. Parolim
Vedamotors Ltda.
Phone:+ 55 47 3411 0513
Mobile/Whatsapp + 55 47 9 9604 8611

Thanks for sharing. That is way cheaper than I would have thought.

So does this kit include the piston and cylinder and you reuse the rest?

Offline blauth

« Reply #221 on: April 24, 2018, 10:17:45 pm »
Yes, piston, cylinder and gasket kit. Nice thing is you still have your original piston and cylinder if this one is not good.

Shipping is more expensive than the kit.

To tell you the truth, I'm not 100% committed to the upgrade. On the one hand, my little bike is doing it's job so well and it's reliable and no fuss. Now I start messing with it and try turn it into something it isn't and just mess it up. I'll sleep on it.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #222 on: April 24, 2018, 10:51:41 pm »
Yes, piston, cylinder and gasket kit. Nice thing is you still have your original piston and cylinder if this one is not good.

To tell you the truth, I'm not 100% committed to the upgrade. On the one hand, my little bike is doing it's job so well and it's reliable and no fuss. Now I start messing with it and try turn it into something it isn't and just mess it up. I'll sleep on it.

So this is if I understand correct all you need (gaskets?) for a top end rebuild that every thumper will need at some point. Yes some goes even up to a 100k km (and more) but some only around the 50k km before they start loosing power and burning oil. So the way I see it, OEM part for a topped rebuild/upgrade at some stage will cost you even way more. The quoted price seems like a bargain and you gain a little power. If you are thinking of keeping the bike, it would be wise to purchase the kit and stow it away till you finally need it ...not?

Offline Captain Zef

• The Ultimate
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Oudtshoorn
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: April 25, 2018, 11:49:48 am »
Damn i am tempted to order one aswell lol

On the other hand the bike makes enough power for me as it is.   :sip:
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 11:50:43 am by Captain Zef »

Offline blauth

« Reply #224 on: April 25, 2018, 06:16:36 pm »

So this is if I understand correct all you need (gaskets?) for a top end rebuild that every thumper will need at some point. Yes some goes even up to a 100k km (and more) but some only around the 50k km before they start loosing power and burning oil. So the way I see it, OEM part for a topped rebuild/upgrade at some stage will cost you even way more. The quoted price seems like a bargain and you gain a little power. If you are thinking of keeping the bike, it would be wise to purchase the kit and stow it away till you finally need it ...not?

My little bike only has 16000km on it. It's got a lot of life left. The only justifiable reason to upgrade is to fix an already frot one or for the performance gain. I'm busy weighing up the pro-cons of messing with a reliable tool in favour of a few more horsepower.

At this point, the more I think about it, the less it makes sense.

Offline blauth

« Reply #225 on: May 07, 2018, 11:49:10 am »
I couldn't help myself.....    :o

Anyway, I did a preliminary comparison between the Tornado and the Rally.    http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=196906.180

In short, the Tornado is better in some respects and the Rally better in others. Both able to do the job well though.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 12:12:12 pm by blauth »

Offline Namakwalander

• View Profile
« Reply #226 on: May 07, 2018, 11:51:46 am »
Did you buy it??

Offline blauth

« Reply #227 on: May 07, 2018, 12:12:42 pm »
Did you buy it??

Yes, I did. I've been drooling over it for long enough. 

Offline Namakwalander

• View Profile
« Reply #228 on: May 07, 2018, 12:14:18 pm »
Did you buy it??

Wow! Congrats man. So are you still keeping the Tornado as well?

Must say I also like the Rally quite a bit. How does it compare in pulling power for instance going up a steep hill?

Offline Captain Zef

• The Ultimate
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Oudtshoorn
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 07, 2018, 12:19:38 pm »
Damn that is nice

Offline blauth

« Reply #230 on: May 07, 2018, 12:25:33 pm »
Did you buy it??

Wow! Congrats man. So are you still keeping the Tornado as well?

Must say I also like the Rally quite a bit. How does it compare in pulling power for instance going up a steep hill?

The Rally is better in pulling power, no question. I'd be curious to see in a drag which one wins though. With my Tornado configuration, I think it may chow the Rally up to about 80 after which the Rally will pull past, maybe. I'll know in time. I'm organizing a ride to my dads place on the 18th and then my mate will use the Tornado and I the Rally with some swapping in-between. It's going to infuriate him  :imaposer:  because he owns a KTM 1190.

I'm sure there will be lots of dragging and 'closing the door' on the route to my dads.

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-250 Rally
  • Beware the 250 roost !
    • View Profile
Little by little, one travels far

J.R.R Tolkien
Ride reports :
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=134175.0 Penge's pass and the Old Forest http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=9421.0 - Orange Atlantic adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=7514.0 - 805 km day trip http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=20260.0 - East Cape Bash http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=70199.0 - Two KTM thumpers head north

Offline Namakwalander

• View Profile
« Reply #232 on: May 15, 2018, 04:40:27 pm »
From Honda Centurion. Price was about R350.00 or there about. It will take a few days to get because they won't have on the shelf.

Well, I was just at Honda Centurion and they wanted R560 for just an air filter. So I told them they can keep their filter. I was thinking more along the lines of R300 to max R400.

So any better suggestions as to where to get n decently priced filter?

Offline Ragbert

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • It's never to late!
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: May 15, 2018, 07:03:13 pm »
Try EMD racing, 0126671041. I get most of my spares from them.

Engen Garage, 3 Aster Ave, Doringkloof, Pretoria, 0157

Also Starline in Edenvale, 0114520532. If you have part numbers you can email them and ask for qoute.

101A Van Riebeeck Ave, Edenvale, Johannesburg, 1610

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

BMW F650GS Dakar '03

Offline Namakwalander

• View Profile
« Reply #234 on: May 15, 2018, 07:06:12 pm »
Try EMD racing, 0126671041. I get most of my spares from them.

Engen Garage, 3 Aster Ave, Doringkloof, Pretoria, 0157

Also Starline in Edenvale, 0114520532. If you have part numbers you can email them and ask for qoute.

101A Van Riebeeck Ave, Edenvale, Johannesburg, 1610

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Thanks  I actually went to Startline first. They don't stock a filter for the Tornado and the XR125 filter that they stock is the similar, but slightly shorter.

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-250 Rally
  • Beware the 250 roost !
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: May 16, 2018, 09:33:20 pm »
Now I'm worried when it's service time for my 250 Rally, also uses a paper filter. How often can one get away with cleaning them with a compressor (being gentle offcourse) ?  :biggrin:
Little by little, one travels far

J.R.R Tolkien
Ride reports :
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=134175.0 Penge's pass and the Old Forest http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=9421.0 - Orange Atlantic adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=7514.0 - 805 km day trip http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=20260.0 - East Cape Bash http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=70199.0 - Two KTM thumpers head north

Offline Crab

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: May 17, 2018, 06:49:58 am »
Wash the filter in benzine. Works well and costs about R35 a bottle.
Look for a shooting star and see Lynda's trail and remember all the great places you shared with her,she will never forget what she shared with you and will show you that in every starry night .

Offline Namakwalander

• View Profile
« Reply #237 on: May 17, 2018, 11:10:01 am »
Now I'm worried when it's service time for my 250 Rally, also uses a paper filter. How often can one get away with cleaning them with a compressor (being gentle offcourse) ?  :biggrin:

Actualy looks like Startline does stock the CRF250L filter, but look at their catalogue to confirm  :thumleft:

Offline Captain Zef

• The Ultimate
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Oudtshoorn
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: May 17, 2018, 11:21:56 am »

Clean it by banging it on the floor. You don't need to buy a new one very often. Should last 30 000kms in my opinion.

The following users thanked this post: sidetrack