Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Front tyre blowout at 120  (Read 3762 times)

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • Carpe Diem (in Afrikaans: Life's short, Ride hard)
    • West Coast Parts
Re: Front tyre blowout at 120
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2014, 09:40:36 am »
Ek wonder of 'n Heidenau K60 'n verskil sou gemaak het? Die K60's is bekend vir stywer karkasse - sal dit nie amper werk soos "run flat tyres" nie? Die pad-georienteerde bande het pap karkasse - die rim raak sommer maklik die pad as dit pap raak.
BoosterPlug, LED Spots, Tool Tubes, RustStop, Kappa Screens, Top boxes, Tank Bags, ATG Gear - whatever works for me.

Online KaTooMatt

Re: Front tyre blowout at 120
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2014, 02:13:51 pm »
I had a torrid ride last year where I got 5 flats on the front during the trip. The first was the most frightening when my front let go quickly doing 90 in the dirt. I immediately stood up unloaded my front wheel and let the sand slow me down. I was stressed but survived. Cause an unseen tree root broken off in the road.

The next were uneventful but the last was as a result of having used up my tubes I had invested in a can of tyre weld at Afgri Thabazimbi. It worked fine all weekend on the dirt until we hit the tar from Thabazimbi to Assen where we were planning to hit the dirt again. There is a nice twisty bit on this road (tricky cause of the pot holes) and I was doing about 140 when there was a truck in front of me. As I started to brake as I could not see to safely pass I realized I had a problem. My front had no pressure by the time I stopped. Again I stood up and put my weight as far back as possible. On the tar was not as frightening as the dirt but took a lot longer to stop using judicious back braking only.

Somehow I managed to get a patch to stick but from there I slabbed it slowly as I felt I had used up my allotted lives on that trip. A few lessons. Don't hang on too long before changing tyres. Old tyres are thin and soft and no protection in a harsh rocky environment. Also Tyre weld works well but stops working when going fast on a bike. The tyre gets too hot and the tyre weld stops working. It is a great emergency back up but when you hit the tar again keep your speed well below 120 to avoid having the tyres heat up too much.
"These are not machines for the meek. Ride it like you stole it, cane it within an inch of its life. It will require a bunch of maintenance and generally tend to be, shall we say, harsh? It was bred for racing, after all. It will devour rear tires and its lust for fuel will astound you. It will suffer indifference and carelessness very poorly. Like heroin and Asian girls, it's not for everybody, but when you absolutely, positively, GOTS to beat every m*****f****** in the race, accept no substitu