Front tyre blowout at 120

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
Wat 'n onbeplande papwiel kan doen

Picktures at the bottom. dont know how to get them between paragraphs :-(

Die hele sessie was so ongeveer 12 sekondes lank.

Ek is op die see want die fiets dryf regs. Wat de F@$%k is dit.  Ek slaap nie, ek droom nie, haloesineer nie, was nie te veel gedrink,  maar teen 120kph moet ek iets doen. Ok daar was nie tyd vir 'n tweede opinie nie, ek moet vinnig besluit wat om te doen.  Van hierdie oomblik af was alles maar instinktief. Throttle toe, rem liggies, probeer die surfboard regop hou.  Hey, mik vir die bosse (kies ek links of regs - no no nie tyd vir tweede opinie nie.), bliksem, wat as daar 'n heining is, eerder been-af as nek-af. Op hierdie stadium het die fiets heeltemal onbeheerd geraak en ek het besluit om dit maar te help val. En toe surf ek op my sy met die fiets wat vooruit gaan.

At that point ewerything became surreal, I am slowly sliding home looking at the Dakkie in front.  Let the show begin.  I cant remember how many times the bike flipped except the two that caused the damage. I think the first flip was from the left side on to the right. that one flattened the pannier, and almost any protrusions on the right hand side (still on the tar).  The next flip the bike landed on the instrument cluster/handlebars and stripped all off there as well.  It then came to a rest.  NO skid damage, it all came from out of 'thin air' straight down.  There are no marks on the gravel between the initial contact with gravel (second flip) and where the bike stopped about 3 meters away.

Picture: Already on its side for about 5 meters (the strip is from some rubber and then some metal meet the road)

Na ek oor en oor na die videos gekyk het en die skade aan die ATTGAT moes ek redelik ver gesurf het.  Ek moes redelik ver terug op die teer al die fiets 'neergesit' het want ek het nie reers die grond gehaal nie.  

Picture: Looking back where it all ended

Picture: ATTGATT saved my butt.

I will remove the tyre to try and see the cause for the 'quick' deflation.  The bike handleld 100% up to the point where it start 'surfing'.  Looking at the damage to the bike and knowing I did around 120 and minding my own buisness when it all happened  I AM A LUCKY MAN. There are bigger forces around, and it wasnt my time yet.

Ok, dit was 'n doodgewone GROOT 'puncture'.  Reg op die loopvlak van die band.  The tube alone did not even inflate to more tha 0.4 bar with a car electric pump.  I estimate it would be less than 30 seconds from puncture (at 1.9bar gravel pressure) to accident or uncontrollable bike. If the tyre was at road pressure the action would only be delayed.

Question to the boffins.  At what pressure will you 'feel' there is a flat front tyre and still be able to safely stop?

From the edge.

Adie

Laat ons Stof maak.

www.rockfox.co.za

Attachments

• Stripe.JPG
    Stripe.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 929
  • the view back.JPG
    the view back.JPG
    147.1 KB · Views: 936
  • ATTATT Damage.JPG