Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: TRANSALP 700 OR SUZUKI 650 V-STORM?  (Read 5538 times)

Offline rightless

• Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • Daar is nie tyd om te huil nie...!
TRANSALP 700 OR SUZUKI 650 V-STORM?
« on: January 26, 2014, 12:36:32 pm »
Hi Guys

In the market but with limited funs.

Looking at Honda Transalp or Suzuki 650 v-storm

I know these bikes are not fully off road but staying in the countryside about 60 % will be dirt-highways.

ANY ADVICE ABOUT THE TWO. I'm looking for a comfortable ride on long distances and a bit of more power. Bigger than 800 cc is not always a good all-rounder.  Also looking at the GS 800 but they're bit expensive at this stage

Thanks

The best places are yet to be discovered!!!!!!!!!

Offline CoolBreeze

• Bike: Honda XR650L
  • 'Live to Ride & Ride to Live'
Re: TRANSALP 700 OR SUZUKI 650 V-STORM?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 01:23:44 pm »
If you don't mind, I'd like to see what the opinions are here. :3some: :sip:

I had a 800GS and loved the bike. For me it was the perfect all round bike. i could do a fair amount of playing with it, I could carry a pillion and did for up to 1000km in a day like a breeze and Sani pass was a speed bump :ricky: It was awsome!
The reason I sold it though was because I got to a stage where we hardly ever rode 2up, I started abusing the bike on weekends (it's not ment to be treated like a scrambler) and to be quite honest, I didn't see the value in paying R3000+ on a service..... aaand I started seeing the light..... there are just so many other bike to choose from :drif:

I rode a Transalp for two days as a curtesy bike from BMW. I was excited because I really think a transalp looks sooo good with a set of knoblies and packed for a trip. It's a sexy bike :drif:. It did nothing for me when I rode it though, and that pisses me off because I was hopping it would! I found it very lose on the dirt road. If i remeber correctly it was a 650. I don't know the 700's

I don't know the V-storm but I've read good things.
Would you cincider an Africa Twin? They also carry quite a good rep and the transapl, Africa Twin and V-Storm are in a different price bracket to the 800GS, Triumph tiger and so on (unless I got it wrong).

At the moment I'm loving my XR650 and I now look at smaller, lighter, cheaper adventure bikes as the way to go :thumleft: :thumleft:

I love threads like these.
Cheers
'One life, Live it...so...Live to Ride & Ride to Live' :)
F800GS, XT660R....and soon to add XR650L

Offline iamgigglz

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • The Hula hoop is Dead. Long live the Hula hoop.
Re:
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 06:35:06 pm »
The strom is arguably the better choice for tar, but I'd say go with the Transalp.

I love my Transalp 700. I've done nearly 50,000km on mine, mostly on tar admittedly. It's a great tar machine, but the gearing is a bit short and fuel consumption is higher than the strom.
It's definitely more off-road capable than the strom though. Mine has done rocks, mud, rivers, sand and ploughing through bundu without complaint, often in the company of XR's and 640's.

The Africa Twin is another story. It'll be an older machine requiring more THE more often than the other two, and the fuel consumption is probably the highest of the three. You'll get a higher percentage return on the purchase price when you resell it though. Much like the 1150, they hold their value and have a certain collector's appeal.
It's also probably the fastest of the three :D

Sent from my GT-I9295 using Tapatalk
Bensien - Wife came home today with a Samsung 3D LED TV and 3D Blue Ray player with built in wi-fi and 1TB hard drive. What else do I need?
Kaboef - A cheaper wife.

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 06:48:02 pm »
You have ultimately chosen 2 bikes that are arguably quite close to each other.

I had the transalp 650 and went through Africa on it, they are probably one of the most under rated offroad bikes out there, they are freaking bullet proof. When it was time to upgrade I simply went for the 700.. why? because I got a 1 year old bike, with 16 000km on the clock with TONS of extras for R53k.. you simply cannot beat the value for money and amount of bike you are buying for that money, best of all, I will take that bike wherever I could take my XR650R.. sure the ground clearance becomes an issue in hectic rocks, so if it has a center stand, it doubles up as a bash plate  :laughing4:

In the end I went for the Transalp for one reason and one reason only, it is a Honda. I just was'nt impressed with Suzuki. Don't get me wrong, I think the V Strom is a great bike, but in the end the Transalp won my heart over the Suzuki, I agree with imagigglz, I would like the gearing on the 700 to be a bit longer..

I dunno, I just don't see many V Stroms around and that influenced my choice a lot.
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline Gérrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • WAT KYK JY
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 06:53:27 pm »
The real difference is the price you'll pay(secondhand I assume). The V-Strom you can get for about half the price of the TransAlp and it will serve the same purpose just as well.
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !

Offline Wildcoast

• Bike: Honda XL1000V Varadero
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 06:57:54 pm »
Strom is certainly more powerfull and will have better fuel consumption, wind protection, fuel range , Suzuki wins both of those I think?
One of the main reasons I went Honda (bought the 650 looked very hard at the Strom and 700 alp , rode them all) was the tough spoked wheels and super reliability (Honda's also seemed to be better quality to me)

Best advice, ride them all, take the one that you like the most, the Honda will not let you down though.

Offline adventure hunter1

• Bike: BMW F800GS
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2014, 07:23:00 pm »
Ive just got back from a cederberg ride on my 700. We bumped into 2 german tourists who are planning to travel southern Africa on a 650 v strom and a 650 TA.

We did some riding with these guys and I noticed the v strom to handle badly in the looser sand and gravel. I agree the TA suspension could do with some tlc as well.

The other bigger concern and this is huge. The v stroma oil cooler is so low down to the ground sticking out with 0 protection from any flying rocks. break the cooler and you are in cuck. Also dont forget the rims not spokes on the strom which are not ideal.

TA 700 or 650 are your better choice in adventure bike.
The early bird catches the worm.....but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline Strompie

• Bike: Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
  • Life enthusiast
    • The Twist
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 08:52:13 am »
As a Strom-owner, I can give you an honest feedback on the bike. On gravel highways, you will be better off on the TA. Apparently it has to do with the rake of the front wheel. My Strom is very fidgety on gravel, and sand is one area where my lack of experience seriously hampers my confidence. But on tar it is an absolute joy.

As a tourer, I have ridden both a 650GS and now a Strom, and I can honestly say the Strom is the better bike. We completed a 4000+ km trip in 2012 and the bike performed flawlessly. My GS had  buzz to it that you simply do not get with that V. It can even go up Sani if required.

http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=134793.0

I share the concerns about not seeing many Stroms around, but it is a very under-rated bike. Solid as rock, and I do not regret owning one. But if you are going to spend most of your days on gravel, get the TA.

For my part, I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel’s sake. The great affair is to move. – Robert Louis Stevenson

Offline rightless

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 02:06:28 pm »
Hi guys

Thanks for your responds. It is much appreciated. :)

By the looks (and sounds) of it, these two bikes are very close. I must say the TA 700 does appeal to me as the first choice (Probably more off-road orientated I guess) 
Looking at off-road, Can one do something to the TA front suspension to make them more capable and is it worth it and at what cost. My 650 TA did well in the sand and I was much more comfortable with it because of the low centre of gravity but going off-road with it, I wasn't impress with the hard front suspension......feeling every bump/hole in the road. I don't want to go that road again. I  hope that with the 700, Honda sorted that problem... :-\
When buying a second hand TA, What km's is considered as to high?
What fuel consumption do they really get. Been to the internet and I still cant get a good idea. With my 650 TA the fuel consumption was hectic. 14-16km/l.
The fact that the 700 TA is no longer in production should probably not be an issue or what....?(re-sale value ect)

Thanks  :thumleft:

Offline AJALP

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2014, 02:54:37 pm »
Hi guys

Thanks for your responds. It is much appreciated. :)

By the looks (and sounds) of it, these two bikes are very close. I must say the TA 700 does appeal to me as the first choice (Probably more off-road orientated I guess) 
Looking at off-road, Can one do something to the TA front suspension to make them more capable and is it worth it and at what cost. My 650 TA did well in the sand and I was much more comfortable with it because of the low centre of gravity but going off-road with it, I wasn't impress with the hard front suspension......feeling every bump/hole in the road. I don't want to go that road again. I  hope that with the 700, Honda sorted that problem... :-\
When buying a second hand TA, What km's is considered as to high?
What fuel consumption do they really get. Been to the internet and I still cant get a good idea. With my 650 TA the fuel consumption was hectic. 14-16km/l.
The fact that the 700 TA is no longer in production should probably not be an issue or what....?(re-sale value ect)

Thanks  :thumleft:

I get 20 - 24km/l depending how I drive. Cruise at 100-120 for those figures. Take her above 120 and you can start cutting that consumption back considerably.. :ricky:
Those twin Honda engines just keep going. Got lots of grunt low down. Needs another gear though but you can change the sprocket... She revs around 6000rpm at 140.
Cant say about holding value... Only had mine for 5 months. Excellent commuter, cruises nicely on tar, and low centre of gravity for off road. Needs a bit more clearance IMHO..
If you want run fast go alone if you want to go far go together!

Offline iamgigglz

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2014, 03:36:00 pm »
There's a progressive spring kit out there for the Transalp's front end; pretty much considered a "must-do" upgrade on that bike.
Bensien - Wife came home today with a Samsung 3D LED TV and 3D Blue Ray player with built in wi-fi and 1TB hard drive. What else do I need?
Kaboef - A cheaper wife.

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Kraaifontein Plugspanner!
    • Music Ramblings by a serial hobbyist
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2014, 04:42:15 pm »
The V-Strom 650 (in my opinion) has the best 650 v-twin engine ever made.
Unfortunately the v-strom also has this:

Once there's a bashplate on it the ground clearance goes down by a lot.

We've spent 7 days on the Northern Cape roads with a good collection of bikes and the owner of this Strom didn't like what the corrugated roads did to his bike with the suspension that's on it (a bit too stiff) and as mentioned the rake also made the bike handle differently - lucky he's a good rider, so he managed quite well.

The Transalp has a bit of a more 'boring' engine - sorry - I don't know how else to explain. It has got more than enough speed and power, but it feels like it hands it to you in a more 'civilized' fashion than the V-Strom engine's kick in the backside.

The Transalp on the other hand have an engine that is probably the smoothest for a twin I've ever experienced.
Also a bit more 'neutral' on the gravel in terms of handling.

Both good excellent bikes for what they are, but in my opinion (for what that is worth) the Transalp is ever so slightly more biased towards gravel.

02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

Offline iamgigglz

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2014, 04:57:49 pm »
Links I found that may be useful:

http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/transalp/25682-transalp-700-vs-versys-650-vs-v-strom-650-a.html

http://www.zimbio.com/Motorcycles/articles/L_M8vR94zrY/BMW+G650GS+vs+Honda+XL700V+Transalp+vs+Suzuki

<edit> wow, the English on that second link is terrible. Clearly translated from something else...poorly.  :P

« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 05:03:26 pm by iamgigglz »
Kaboef - A cheaper wife.

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2014, 05:10:44 pm »
You said you only want to do dirt highways and tar? Then the VStrom beats the TA hands down. It pulls like a train up to 200 (the L2) when you' in a hurry, it's light on fuel, it has tubeless tyres and very strong mag wheels. I haven't seen one with a smiley after quite a bit of abuse (I am talking here about the medical response bikes of ER24)
However, the TA is not bad at all, but not as comfy as the Strom and heavy on fuel. Both engines are bullet proof but the gearbox of the Suz is just perfect. Smooth and never a false neutral.
My vote goes for the VStrom but go and test ride both and make up your mind. Can't go wrong it comes down to personal pref

Offline Dutchie

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2014, 05:19:21 pm »
In the market but with limited funs.

Well, by the sounds of it, that's about to change!

Looking at Honda Transalp or Suzuki 650 v-storm

I don't have advice, but would like to wish you plenty miles and loooads of funs with whichever one you choose  :thumleft:

« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 05:19:47 pm by Dutchie »

Offline rightless

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2014, 09:43:56 pm »
Thanks for the very welcome info on the two bikes.

Must say, now I'm confused again..... But, I'll use all the info you guys generously gave me to help clear my mind.

Like you said Wildcoast........The taste in the pudding is eating it. I'm gonna have to test drive each one of them to see what works.

Imgizzls- do you know what such progressive springs costs for the TA?

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2014, 09:51:47 pm »
The real difference is the price you'll pay(secondhand I assume). The V-Strom you can get for about half the price of the TransAlp and it will serve the same purpose just as well.

err.. a second hand transalp 700 is about R50k, are you saying you can get a V strom for R25k.. not one I would buy
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2014, 09:53:07 pm »
There's a progressive spring kit out there for the Transalp's front end; pretty much considered a "must-do" upgrade on that bike.

agreed, I have progressive springs in front.. what a difference, it is a very different bike, especially offroad

Offline iamgigglz

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2014, 08:43:19 am »

:lol8: Adding that to the list of how people have spelt my forum name...

Not sure of the cost; educated guesstimate is under R2k all in. The springs alone are floating around the net for around £85.

Dogs, help out here. Which vendor to contact for springs? Can't think of the name now... ???
Kaboef - A cheaper wife.

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2014, 09:54:16 am »

:lol8: Adding that to the list of how people have spelt my forum name...

Not sure of the cost; educated guesstimate is under R2k all in. The springs alone are floating around the net for around £85.

Dogs, help out here. Which vendor to contact for springs? Can't think of the name now... ???

Bling King
Denver Bigs (think I misspelled his surname)