Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: TRANSALP 700 OR SUZUKI 650 V-STORM?  (Read 5649 times)

Offline rightless

• Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • Daar is nie tyd om te huil nie...!
Re: TRANSALP 700 OR SUZUKI 650 V-STORM?
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2014, 11:27:31 am »
iamgigglz

Sorry about the name  ::), didn't wear my glasses last knight. :) Dammm....and then I want to buy a bike. Wonder if that's a great idea. :o I already lost a hand, not my eyes toooooo..

Thanks for the info. Not to expensive for the progressive springs. Will be a definite add-on.

I can get TA 700 2009 with 19000 k's on the clock for R57 000 in the Free State
Looks like the CAT  is out with Leo Vince pipes.

Good buy me think?
The best places are yet to be discovered!!!!!!!!!

Offline rightless

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2014, 11:30:32 am »
Fuzzy Muzzy

How does the springs work in sand driving?
Are these springs adjustable?

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2014, 11:41:14 am »
That price is about right. If you look around  and you are not in a hurry you can get a slightly  better deal.

As far as I know springs are about R2k as well. The springs make sand riding a little easier for me, the front tends to float in a little more ( to be fair I am useless at sand with the TA, I have been too spoilt with my CRF450 in sand ) best to speak to someone like Sprocket who is a much better sand rider than me when it comes to the Transalp.

Where the springs make a massive difference if simply on rocky declines, then you are just all smiles. honestly the upgrade is well worth ot. I was lucky mine came with the upgrade already done. They are not adjustable, you can play around with different density oils I suppose but frankly I don't see the need.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 11:43:24 am by Fuzzy Muzzy »
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2014, 11:44:00 am »
Fuzzy Muzzy

How does the springs work in sand driving?
Are these springs adjustable?

If I may: the springs are not ajustable, they are just way better quality than the OEM springs and will not bottom out and will give you a more sure footed handling. It 'firms' the ride up a bit on the gravel and even better handling on tar noichble in corners. It will not help for sand thoug. Nothing works for sand other than your 'hart' and by that I mean confidence that will come with experience

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2014, 11:45:31 am »
Nearly got my bikes mixed up there, just to remember the shocks are just stiffer, with the TA std when you hit something like a washed out rut you bottom out the front, it is not a train smash, you can ride like that, I did with my 650 for years.. you just adapt to what you have,

If you are doing mainly road riding the std spring is just fine. If you are going to do the old postal route.. change them now.
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline rightless

« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2014, 04:00:39 pm »
Thanks guys.

On the internet an 18 min video of a TA going off-road, sand, mud and very uneven single road, passes an old mine somewhere in Gauteng.
It convinced me finally that the TA would be the bike for the type off- oad driving I do.

Thank you all for your help and input.  :)

Now just to get that right bike for the right price.....  :thumleft:

Offline Tommy Transalp

• The Older I get... the Faster I WAS!
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2014, 05:06:49 pm »
Of all the bikes I've owned and ridden (39 years now), the 650 Transalp has given me the most joy. Bullet-proof motor and reliable as hell. Fuel consumption is not the best, but like a toyota hi-lix, it just goes on forever, so it seems.
I live in my own world...
But it's ok... they know me there!
Honda XLV 650 Transalp
Honda CRF230
Royal Enfield 500 Classic

Offline rightless

« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2014, 11:54:41 am »
Tommy Transalp

What is your take on the 700 v.?

What is your dislikes about it, compared to the 650 you have? (I had the same one just in blue-Hellava nice bike except that the plastics started to irritate me when driving off-road, vibrating/rattles a lot. Got the same problem?)

Would you consider an upgrade to the 700 and why or why not?

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2014, 12:24:57 pm »
I had the 650 for a few years and did 80 000km on that bike, my longest trip was 59 days through Nam, Bots, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz, the bike did'nt even use oil.. flip those 650's are bulletproof and you can load the hell out of them, I never had a day's issue.

Not that I like to compare bikes but the 650 and 700 are as similar as they are different. The 700 is an upgrade if you consider that it has more electronics, digital dash, ABS etc. Also being a fuel injected bike. Other than that, it is the same bulletproof bike.

I think for me the 700 was not seen as an upgrade, they simply stopped making the 650 and launched the new 700.

My 2c

Offline rightless

« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2014, 12:32:50 pm »
Yes, The fact is.....even in my school days, the 50cc, Honda (bobcat) was the fastest(117km/h) and lasts longer. Honda and even Yamaha used to be the tough bikes then.
I believe in Honda and surly that is the way.

I see the dry weight is about 116 kg.

Does this effect the handling on more technical roads?

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2014, 12:58:14 pm »
lets not talk about the school day 50cc.. my dream bike was the gamma, it was also pretty quick.. probably around 105km/h - 115km/h  I was just never allowed one.. dammit mom.

Look the Transalp will go where you need it to but now define technical, it is no plastic. The weight sits quite far forward so in sand you really have to lean back and open up, in tight technical stuff I have to feather her because I can tend to fall because of the weight distribution.. but define technical. There are not many places I can't go.. I really really don't like sand with her because of the weight but some okes seem to do better than me.

Offline Tommy Transalp

• The Older I get... the Faster I WAS!
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2014, 01:15:28 pm »
Tommy Transalp

What is your take on the 700 v.?

What is your dislikes about it, compared to the 650 you have? (I had the same one just in blue-Hellava nice bike except that the plastics started to irritate me when driving off-road, vibrating/rattles a lot. Got the same problem?)

Would you consider an upgrade to the 700 and why or why not?
What Fuzzy said! :thumleft: In soft sand you have to almost position yourself over the rear wheel and keep the power on!... there is still a chance you'll have a tumble, but it's only sand after all. Transalps don't like soft stuff too much, but like the ol'timers say...A Transalp can do everything well, but is not exceptional at anything! (bit like a Toyota hi-lux) . They will keep going when you think that it's not possible. I like the 21" front wheel on the 650 for offroad stuff, but depending on your riding style, there shouldn't be too much difference between the two. The 700's fuel consumption is better by 3 km/l. (fuel injection).

The 650's fairing panels rattle a bit on corrugated gravel roads, bit don't seem to break.... (unless you ride over Duikers and such... but that's another story!) :biggrin: Spares so far have not been a problem, although sometimes you'll have to wait a day or two. I've plumbed a spare clutch-cable next to the original, because I broke a cable at about 50k kms and it's a PITA to replace on the road. (Specially when you don't have the spare with you!)
I don't think you'll be sorry buying a Transalp....
I live in my own world...
But it's ok... they know me there!
Honda XLV 650 Transalp
Honda CRF230
Royal Enfield 500 Classic

Offline KiLRoy

• Rossi se Biaggi...
  • Administrator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • We need a strong man. Strong like Stalin
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2014, 01:27:32 pm »
650 TA not 21inch front wheel and the 700 19?

Thats is imho the deal stealer.  If you want to do more diverse d/s touring - get the TA 650.  If you want to ride more sedate areas - get the 700.  If you want more fun for less money - get the VStrom.  that Suzuki motor and the Versys motor are probably the most fun, explosive twin 650 motors ever. :thumleft:

Honda's motors last forever, because they are so detuned.  So ideal for long d/s trips

Offline IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • What me worry?
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2014, 01:34:13 pm »
of the 2 I would go strom ...... its motor is way better than the Honda's and I mean way better and much lighter on fuel. Strom got a nice big tank so huge range too.

I would say off road the TA and strom are pretty even .....I seen stroms go anywhere and everywhere.....

The TA has what must be the most gutless motor in all of DS biking...I think my 660 tenere motor got more oomph ... and that's saying something.

but the Honda is super smooth and its a Honda ....

if you considering any 2 up riding , yr answer must be strom
Born to lose, live to win!!

Offline KiLRoy

• Rossi se Biaggi...
  • Administrator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2014, 01:40:32 pm »
of the 2 I would go strom ...... its motor is way better than the Honda's and I mean way better and much lighter on fuel. Strom got a nice big tank so huge range too.

I would say off road the TA and strom are pretty even .....I seen stroms go anywhere and everywhere.....

The TA has what must be the most gutless motor in all of DS biking...I think my 660 tenere motor got more oomph ... and that's saying something.

Are you speaking about 700 TA or 650?   650 is gutless and heavier on fuel, but because of its 21inch spoked front wheel is much better suited for more serious d/s touring.  I do thing the strom is good value for money and more exciting though

Offline IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • What me worry?
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2014, 01:47:12 pm »

Are you speaking about 700 TA or 650?   650 is gutless and heavier on fuel, but because of its 21inch spoked front wheel is much better suited for more serious d/s touring.  I do thing the strom is good value for money and more exciting though

the 700 is fractionally better power wise , not sure bout the fuel consumption and maybe its way better but the motor aint a demon by any means.

the 650 is hellish on fuel .....I was getting between 13-15 km per litres and it hurt, my car was lighter.  my 1000 strom would get 22km/l with a 22 litre tank gave me a range of 400km plus

the 650 off road would be better than the 750 or the strom for that matter but the 700 is the same. ground clearance of the strom an 700 must be almost identical I reckon.

but agree, the 21 inch wheel make a world of difference ....
Born to lose, live to win!!

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2014, 02:03:39 pm »
I don't get that a 21 inch wheel is a deal breaker.. I take my 700 everywhere I took my 650.. did the front wheel make a difference.. no. I can tell you that the ground clearance on the Transalp will be an issue WAY before the front tyre size will.

bring me a section of dirt that a 19 inch wheel can't do that a 21 inch can and I will believe you.

Are you comparing a 650cc bikes fuel consumption with a 1000cc.. really  :patch:, if people based getting a bike on fuel consumption why even bother looking at a twin, go get a 650 Dakar or Tenere then.. and again if you strat comparing oomph why compare a single to a twin if we want to start getting into the single vs twin we can.

Apples with apples okes  :deal:

Offline drewdza

• Bike: Triumph 800 XC
  • world leader pretend
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2014, 02:07:22 pm »

the 700 is fractionally better power wise , not sure bout the fuel consumption and maybe its way better but the motor aint a demon by any means.

the 650 is hellish on fuel .....I was getting between 13-15 km per litres and it hurt, my car was lighter.  my 1000 strom would get 22km/l with a 22 litre tank gave me a range of 400km plus

the 650 off road would be better than the 750 or the strom for that matter but the 700 is the same. ground clearance of the strom an 700 must be almost identical I reckon.

but agree, the 21 inch wheel make a world of difference ....
Granted, the 650 TA was no ball of fire but "gutless"? No, its a sweet V-twin with adequate power on road and off. Unless you're 2 up or in a serious hurry. Motor is bulletproof  :thumleft:
Fuel consumption? I averaged 18-20 km/l over 35000km. Leo Vince and decent dyno tuning by Freeze. If you're getting 13-15 km/l there' something seriously wrong with the state of tune or you're riding the tits off the bike into a 50km/h head wind
Offroad handling was goodish. She hated corrugations and sand. Headshakes now and again when standing just to keep you awake. Front end was poor but can be (almost) sorted with progressive springs.
The 650TA is a better DS than the 700 I reckon. Its a far better DS than the V-Strom.
The Strom motor is nicer/stronger but it has lower ground clearance, worse suspension, alloy rims and (apologies to owners) it has to be one of the most aesthetically challenged (ugly :o) bikes ever made. TA's are quite pretty  >:D
Fond memories of my TA  :thumleft:

800XC

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2014, 02:10:17 pm »
by the way, my 650 I was getting 15l/km if I was shunting, but if you take it easy you can get 17 - 20 which was about my average.. so not that bad. My 700 is slightly better.

Offline KiLRoy

• Rossi se Biaggi...
  • Administrator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2014, 02:20:25 pm »
Never said a 19inch front is a deal breaker - said:

Thats is imho the deal stealer.

Thats what will get my vote if I want to do more serious terrain d/s touring.  It makes a hell of a difference (together with the fact that its spoke wheels) IN MY OPINION.  so if thats the application - 650 TA it will be.

Much of a muchness ito application between the 700 TA and 650 VStrom - IN MY OPINION - differences are mentioned above
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 02:21:32 pm by KiLRoy »