Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: TRANSALP 700 OR SUZUKI 650 V-STORM?  (Read 5650 times)

Offline IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • What me worry?
Re: TRANSALP 700 OR SUZUKI 650 V-STORM?
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2014, 02:28:57 pm »

Are you comparing a 650cc bikes fuel consumption with a 1000cc.. really  :patch:, if people based getting a bike on fuel consumption why even bother looking at a twin, go get a 650 Dakar or Tenere then.. and again if you strat comparing oomph why compare a single to a twin if we want to start getting into the single vs twin we can.

Apples with apples okes  :deal:

the 650 strom is even lighter...that was my point ....

and yes when we go to remote parts of moz or bots fuel range becomes an issue....and even some parts of za.

Fuel consumption is important to me, I have a limited budget and I like long fuel ranges ..... a 650 pushing 12kw on a cool day (the TA) used more , much more fuel than a 1000 pushing 75kw in all conditions....
Born to lose, live to win!!

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2014, 02:57:01 pm »
fuel range is a problem with any bike if you are going far enough.. I have been to all sides of bots and Moz and never had to deal with a fuel range issue.. the only time I have ever run out of fuel is when Andy took me all over the Karoo and I ran out of fuel 5km from Ceres.. I had to syphon from a KTM..  :o

V Strom 650 4.77l per 100

Tranaslp 700 4.73 per 100

You can varify test results on www.motostat.eu

My point is your reference is off.. my Transalp was getting similar fuel stats to the V Strom.
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline Ratt

• Bike: Yamaha XT600
  • An experiment in Artificial Stupidity...
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2014, 03:17:29 pm »
I had the AT, great bike and did alot of bundu bashing with it. Heavy as hell, but you get use to it quickly.
While AT was in for repaires I had a TA 650 for a week, not my bike so didn't slauter it like the AT. TA was much lower, 99% more plastic and a bit lazier than the AT.
Would I have taken the TA bundu bashing? Hell yeah!
On a KLE 500 now, lazy as a ANC member, but I already did all the stuff already that I did with the AT.

Obviously you aren't going to bundu bash, but just stick to high ways.

Looked at the TA700 before buying the KLE. The wheels put me off first, then the headlight.

I prefer spoked wheels as I have broken a few spokes already and is not such a PIA to fix.

No experience on the Strom, but it looks like a pure road tourer like the nc700's, you can take them off the tar slightly, but woud snap in half at the first donga youhave to go through.

Personally I would go for a TA 650. If you can find one, look at a varadero, it's still a better call than the vstrom imho.

Whatever you choose, have fun  :thumleft:
I'm not saying kill stupid people, I'm saying, remove the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

**072 596 1303 in Knysna if you have troubles**

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2014, 04:18:43 pm »

look at a varadero

:eek7: a varadero..  :imaposer:

good one  :laughing4:
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline Wildcoast

• Bike: Honda XL1000V Varadero
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2014, 06:35:58 am »
With low mileage ones going at between 35 and 40k I am afraid the answer to this thread is a no brainer........

Offline Ratt

« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2014, 07:09:36 am »

look at a varadero

:eek7: a varadero..  :imaposer:

good one  :laughing4:

With a AT bodykit and wheel conversion, I don't see why not.
It's just a bigger TA
I'm not saying kill stupid people, I'm saying, remove the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2014, 11:30:27 am »
Have you tried to take one through sand, over rocks or anything technical? If someone is looking to choose between 2 650's the last thing I think of is ' hey, get a varadero  :thumleft:'

There is a reason why that bike never sold and if you can sell it.. note not , when you sell it, if you can sell it, it has probably the worst resale value of any Honda.

Offline Ratt

« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2014, 11:32:59 am »
Have you tried to take one through sand, over rocks or anything technical? If someone is looking to choose between 2 650's the last thing I think of is ' hey, get a varadero  :thumleft:'

There is a reason why that bike never sold and if you can sell it.. note not , when you sell it, if you can sell it, it has probably the worst resale value of any Honda.

Hence, he can pick it up for next to nothing and ride the gravel high ways and tar.

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2014, 11:37:07 am »
So your advice is to buy a bike Honda took out of production pretty much as soon as it hit showroom floors, one of the kukkest bikes Honda ever made and the reason for that is because you can pick it up for cheap.  :eek7:

No man.  :3some:

Offline KiLRoy

• Rossi se Biaggi...
  • Administrator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • We need a strong man. Strong like Stalin
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2014, 12:44:39 pm »
I agree, always smile at the comments on these kind of posts asking about eg which 650, - then get answers ranging from buy a CRF250 too a 1200LC :biggrin:

Kind of like - which is the best a XR250 or TTR250 ---- the get answers like a KTM525 ;)

Offline rightless

• Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • Daar is nie tyd om te huil nie...!
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2014, 01:19:04 pm »
Thanks for a very interesting debate and valuable info about the two bikes guys
I don't think the 650 TA would still be an option although they are great bikes though.

Just been to the Ceres Karoo/(Tankwa) for work and the dirt roads are calling...,... :drif: Gotta make a final decision soon.

The issue for me about the v-strom is also that it might be a bit too low....danno!!!!!!!!!!!

An indication=a road that I probably would think is my limit is the road to Anysberg Nat Reserve up to the office.
Handling these type of roads with one hand is still ok, but something worse than that might become a problem. BUT...doing long trips on dirt highways and tar I think the TA would be more comfy and faster than the Tenere that I used to have. I probably want best of both worlds, on and off-road..... :-\ Looking mostly at the comfortable side of riding long distances I guess. :thumleft:

The other point is ....., I would like to think that where ever a WD Bash is held, I would be able to attend such bash with the bike of choice I made now. I do not want to stay at home because the bike is not capable...That factor has to be determined by my driving skills not to be able to do such. ;)

The best places are yet to be discovered!!!!!!!!!

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2014, 09:43:34 am »
Just a thought: you have one hand. With respect do you not thing a tubeless bike will work better? The V strom's mag wheels are real tough and I have never seen one with a smiley. All I'm saying. A flat can left you standed maybe with the one hand? But not if it was a tubeless rim like on the V strom. I have seen Stroms on sand, mud and many 'rough sections'. Is a standard GS or S10 better in the dirt? Concidering its weight? Have a look at how little ground clearance there is on a S10 yet they do Sani without effort. Say take a Strom for a test run on the gravel before you make a decition

Offline SlowMo

• Bike: Honda CTX200
« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2014, 10:50:00 pm »
Just a thought: you have one hand. With respect do you not thing a tubeless bike will work better? The V strom's mag wheels are real tough and I have never seen one with a smiley. All I'm saying. A flat can left you standed maybe with the one hand? But not if it was a tubeless rim like on the V strom. I have seen Stroms on sand, mud and many 'rough sections'. Is a standard GS or S10 better in the dirt? Concidering its weight? Have a look at how little ground clearance there is on a S10 yet they do Sani without effort. Say take a Strom for a test run on the gravel before you make a decition

TVB I honestly don’t know why you are so convinced that the DL rims are tough. I was warned that this is a weak spot on the DL. On my very first off-road excursion with my DL, within the first 30 km I picked up a bad “smiley”. I was very lucky that my tyre held air, else I would have been  F*&. Moreover for the rest of the trip I had to inflate the tyre so much that only the best gravel roads did not hurt my hands etc. I've also heard that many of the DL guys have learnt that high tyre pressures are the only way to ensure that you save your rims.

Some years ago I was on a Suzuki SA arranged off road excursion where they (tried) to introduce the DL as a proper D/S bike. And whilst the bike and its off road capabilities impressed me, Steve Swanepoel, the P.R.O. of Suzuki at the time also wrote off a front rim, to the extent that he could not continue. I remember them trying to “donner” the rim straight with a rock at the time….
I've owned both TA and DL 650 and have done over 50,000 km on each. I can only praise both of them.

My suggestion would be to take both the TA 700 and DL for a spin. Usually within the first 2 km you can feel which bike appeals to you. If that doesn't seal the deal and you’re still confused, the cheapest one you can find with the lowest kilometres should do. The good news is you can't go wrong with either.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 10:59:03 pm by SlowMo »

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2014, 11:27:48 pm »
Ok there is a guy on this forum, ZAR who is on his second DL and he loves riding at GRoot Marico and it is just mountains and rock. Especially the 'roller coaster' and he has never bend a rim and swear by the DL. I habe a DL 650 L2 (work paramedic response bike) and often takes it off road (shh) and yet no problem what so ever. I like the TA as well, always liked it and nearly bought one myself at some stage new but hell man, do yourself a favour and ride them back to back. The TA is plain boring compared to the suz engine. That is one sweet mil

Offline rightless

« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2014, 05:13:52 pm »
Thanks guys. Appreciate your valuable input.

TVB- I have always use enduro choops which are thick and don't puncture that easy. Also have that  "slime" bompies with me. It ill probably help in need.

Just looking/reading back on this thread it is evident that both the TA and V-Strom is perfect for South African conditions.
Both Honda and Suzuki, even Yamaha, Kawa and KTM has been with us for a very long time and are superb brands.
Looking at technology, all bikes are very equal and it boils to probably personal appealing I guess.

I'm gonna have to test drive both the TA and V Strom with the well presented information I got from each of your dogs in the back of my mind, to get to the final decision.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Offline Bliknęrs

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • I never finish anyth
« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2014, 07:22:14 pm »
Please remember to update this post with your thoughts once you get going it will make a great reference.

Offline rightless

« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2014, 03:47:28 pm »
HI GUYS

EVENTUALLY, DECIDED ON THE VSTROM, 2010 MODEL. GETTINGIT SOON, JUST FINISHING THE NITTY-GRITTY FINANCE

THANKS FOR EVERYTHING, SEE YOU ON THE ROAD.

CHEERS :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: :ricky: :ricky: :ricky:

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2014, 04:25:37 pm »
HI GUYS

EVENTUALLY, DECIDED ON THE VSTROM, 2010 MODEL. GETTINGIT SOON, JUST FINISHING THE NITTY-GRITTY FINANCE

And you won't be sorry, congrats and may you have many safe miles and smiles on that machine!

Offline Strompie

• Bike: Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
  • Life enthusiast
    • The Twist
« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2014, 11:48:04 am »
HI GUYS

Al tik jy in hoofletters, dis OK. Goeie keuse. Nou waars die kiekie ?
For my part, I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel’s sake. The great affair is to move. – Robert Louis Stevenson

Offline rightless

« Reply #59 on: March 10, 2014, 01:59:20 pm »
Hi strompie/fellow dogs

I'm busy with the seat .

Will send a pic as soon as the seat is fitted. Will be finished this week.

Cheers :-\