Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: CRF 450 X - Oil Cooler  (Read 1430 times)

Offline Bender

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
CRF 450 X - Oil Cooler
« on: January 28, 2014, 02:58:07 pm »
Hi

Are anyone aware of a local brand of oil cooler or am I stuck with the imports only?

It seems like the Jagg Oil cooler is no longer available.

Cheers,
Bender on the Run that is just all KTM fun!

Offline wolf skaap

Re: CRF 450 X - Oil Cooler
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 07:59:36 pm »
Hi

Are anyone aware of a local brand of oil cooler or am I stuck with the imports only?

Cheers,
Import.

Why do you want one? It's a waste of money IMO
Let the good times roll!

Offline Bender

• Pack Dog
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 08:08:38 pm »
I want to use the bike for Raly Raid type of riding sometimes up to 500km a day. Chris from Desert Lizard recomended it. I woulk like to run the bike as cool as I can.

Offline Bossiekop

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 08:18:41 pm »
Ek luister aandagtig...

Offline wolf skaap

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 10:07:09 pm »
I want to use the bike for Raly Raid type of riding sometimes up to 500km a day. Chris from Desert Lizard recomended it. I woulk like to run the bike as cool as I can.
Could be that I'm lucky but my crf doesn't use oil over the 3 day 1000km+ rides that we do. (Includes long tar sections)
I do check the oil often during trips, just to be sure. You might not have this luxury during the Raid?

If you do get a cooler, make sure to still monitor the level regularly.
The combined oil capacity of the crf is a lot (only 300ml less than an XR600R)  :thumleft:

Upgrade suspension and do the SS intake mod  :thumleft:
If you weigh less than 90kg and ride the bike like you stole it, the stock suspension is fine
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 10:08:24 pm by wolf skaap »
Let the good times roll!

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 10:16:27 pm »
Hi

Cheers,
Import.

Why do you want one? It's a waste of money IMO

+1, I agree, these bikes are designed to run at the temp they do.. overcooling the oil is not always the best idea I have been lead to believe.. I have always thought I should get one but every time I ask about them the mechanics ask ' why?' and besides saying.. 'err, to run cooler' I don't really know what to say.. the responce is generally.. ok, but why do you want to run cooler when it is designed to run hot?.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 10:19:21 pm by Fuzzy Muzzy »
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline Bender

• Pack Dog
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 07:30:01 am »
High Temperatures are Dangerous

Most engines will carry several millilitres of oil for internal lubrication. This oil has a lifespan of a couple of hours (CRF 450X oil replacement every 10 hours), as the lubricating molecules and added detergents break down during use. When a motor exceeds a normal operating temperature it begins to damage itself in a myriad of ways, including quick deterioration of the engine oil. Changing the oil often keeps the lubricating ability boosted, and an oil cooler system can maintain the quality of oil for longer periods of time by lowering the working temperature of the oil by as much as 30 percent.

Benefits

If a bike tends to off-road consistent at high speeds, an engine oil cooler can help extend the life of the engine. By keeping the oil cool, it prevents overheating during stressful technical sections.

I was hoping I could increase the 10hour intervals by adding an oil cooler to the system and by increasing the oil capacity.

Offline wolf skaap

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 09:56:35 am »
I was hoping I could increase the 10hour intervals by adding an oil cooler to the system and by increasing the oil capacity.
The crf's intervals are 15hrs not 10.

The purpose of the cooler should not be to turn your 15hr intervals into 20. Don't defeat the purpose of the cooler by keeping the oil in there for longer than 15hrs.
Remember that oil gets sheared by the moving parts as well, and the safest way to extend the intervals would be to multiply 15hrs by the percentage increase in oil.

This really caters for the lazy IMO.

15hrs are 2 loooong day's riding. Surely there must be time to drop the motor oil by then?

AFAIK, the coolers make it tricky to prime the oil pump too. The added hoses also have their own set of possible issues; see what happened to the KTM530 during the baja 1000 in 2009.. the one oil cooler hose came loose and the motor grenaded in spectacular fashion  :o
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 10:03:30 am by wolf skaap »
Let the good times roll!

Offline Bender

• Pack Dog
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 10:24:29 am »
Thank you for all the discussion and info, I have made my mind up I will not bother with an oil cooler.
I will just do the SS intake mod, and change the oil regularly (15hrs)
I just got my 15L tank,  still in two minds if I will built a tower and include a bit of fairing.

Offline wolf skaap

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2014, 10:57:39 am »
Thank you for all the discussion and info, I have made my mind up I will not bother with an oil cooler.
I will just do the SS intake mod, and change the oil regularly (15hrs)
I just got my 15L tank,  still in two minds if I will built a tower and include a bit of fairing.

:thumleft:

Tower is overkill IMO.
See what they use for the Finke desert race:
Let the good times roll!

Offline Orangejuicepony

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Honda XR650L
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2014, 01:00:28 pm »
I think one of the reasons why people install a oil cooler is to increase oil capacity. I think for a rally bike more oil will be beneficial, the same effect can be achieved by installing a recluse clutch cover as they are deeper than the oem cover allowing for more oil in the engine.