Some advice 4 to 5 days around Johannesburg and bike rental

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
Hi to all,
I will be in SA for work beginning of April and intend taking 4 to 5 days out to travel around. Two questions if you would be so kind (I'd take a closer look at the existing posts except that my knowledge of SA geography is worse than atrocious and I risk spending a full week trying to figure out where places are):

Where best  to rent from (something like a GS/GSA or a KTM 990... ?
Where to go to/through?

A bit more info:
- I'll likely be travelling alone
- I have absolutely no idea what roads and accomodation possibilities and such are like in SA
- I don't mind doing some offroad stuff (would quite like to in fact), but as I'll be just the one bike nothing too tricky/risky
- I like to just get up and go, as little planning as possible, and find places to stay on the route (if possible of course). In other words take things as they come, with maybe a few addresses to stay at if progress suits
- I'll be flying into Johannesburg, and be staying here for a few days first https://www.legendgolfsafari.com/ near Mookgophong. Best rent the bike in Johannesburg I think?
- I'd like to see your country and meet the people - and some of you if possible. Sun City, for example, is not high on my list as I understand things...

Any suggestions as to an appropriate route for the 4 or 5 days would be much appreciated. Best to go back and forth through Johannesburg? Best head out East and tour to the East? Or to the West? etc etc

Many thanks in advance
Rob