Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Broken 690 roadbook frames on the Amageza 2013?  (Read 410 times)

Offline MaxThePanda

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Vespa (all models)
  • As in 'Even more Panda'. Also likes sharks.
    • Team 525
Broken 690 roadbook frames on the Amageza 2013?
« on: January 29, 2014, 06:10:02 pm »
I've got a 2011 690 with an Alfie Cox fairing - which I believe uses the same frame as the original Omega fairing. I've understand that 3 or 4 of the bikes  with these fairing frames/roadbook mounts broke on the 2013 Amageza? Anyone have any further info? Was it the mounts, the actual metal fatiguing or what?

I haven't had any issues with mine, despite some pretty hard riding, but I don't have the front tanks on, so there's probably a lot less stress on the mounts. But I need to prep the bike for this year's Amageza, so looking at any issues that may be a weak spot.

Currently have 17 litres on the bike with an extra Rally Raid rear tank, and love how it keeps the bike stock-slim and light up front. I may just add a 5 litre Rotopax on the back rather than going to the hassle and expense of front tanks...

cheers
Ian

Offline B2B

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
Re: Broken 690 roadbook frames on the Amageza 2013?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 08:00:38 pm »
Hi Ian,i speak from experience here, the main problem found here is the mounting of the bracket to the steering head of the frame.Over the past years many a bracket has been manufactured tried,tested and possibly failed.An event like the Amageza will throw everything at you and the last thing you need is your navagation tower boucing around secured with cable ties for days ripping your wiring to pieces.Im not punting for any shop owner here but suggest you pop in and chat to Ashley from KTM Capetown they have done all the R&D on the bracket and now have one off the shelf.Im sure many can vouch for this.Goodluck with your build it does become fun. :thumleft:

Online Bill the Bong

• Coffee Monster
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Cagiva Elefant 900
Re: Broken 690 roadbook frames on the Amageza 2013?
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 04:17:18 pm »
I saw a PSP racing replacement for the KTM Cape Town / Omega round tube thing.  Much improved.  I also believe none of the Rally Raid UK towers gave hassles.