Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: TE610 Swingarm and linkage bearings and bushes  (Read 1485 times)

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
TE610 Swingarm and linkage bearings and bushes
« on: January 30, 2014, 07:11:11 am »
I got to checking the rear linkage bearings after noticing some lateral play when up on a lift - interestingly if high up the shock extended and the play was not really easily noticeable and likewise if completely down ... but if just a little pressure taken off back wheel then was very noticeable. In removing them I was at first pleasantly surprised that they still seemed reasonably well greased but then the one lower one had wear on the inner bush and had clearly had water ingress. I had hoped I could just regrease them but sadly not. So looks like I will be doing them all - probably with a Pivot Works kit.

I was surprised that the lateral play seemed to be built in - ie it was not there due to wear and also cannot be taken up through adjustment/torquing the bolts (on the two main ones anyway). Has anyone else replaced these bearings and found the same lateral/side to side play in these bearings? It is as if the internal bushing is too long? (no evident wear on the seal and spacer). They must be made like this but not sure why?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 09:53:48 am by BiG DoM »
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
Re: Rear shock linkages and bushes
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 01:06:33 pm »
Ok while 'down there'  >:D  pulled the swingarm and fookme if they are not also shagged  :-[  Now I am normally careful with washing and pressure hoses etc but phew will need to be extra vigilant. Looks like needs virtually complete transplant surgery. Just done exactly the same on my sons KDX ... now the Husky.  :-\
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 01:07:41 pm by BiG DoM »
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 01:29:54 pm »
When I took my motor out I shook all the parts down there to see if they were loose (highly scientific way of doing things, you have to learn the secret shake from the old Jedi masters  :P).

But didn't find anything alarming.

I was considering stripping it down and looking properly but was eager to ride the bike and didnt bother in the end.

I did regrease it all though.
Husqvarna '09 610TE - Great Bike!

I just finished a SciFi novel Extinction: Task Team, download the preview.

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 02:27:23 pm »
There was absolutely no play in the swingarm and I was just going to leave it but then thought WTF just do it - the bearings did not have play but where brown with oil water rust amalgam  :o  The one side still rotating relatively freely but the drive side was already getting dry and puttylike! In fact only the one top set of bearings in the linkage dog bones are OK - all the rest need replacing. There does not appear to be a linkage kit for the 2008/9 TE610 although I suspect the TE511 is the same but cannot take a chance. Guess I could possibly download the parts catalogue for the 511 and cross reference. Have asked Max at primrose to quote on the parts I need.

Any ideas on the best waterproof lithium? based grease?

Interestingly there was still signs of a white/pale blue factory grease on some of the seals and between the  paired roller bearings.

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 05:50:30 pm »
Do you have grease nipples on your bike ? Mine has and I just squirt some in there no and again, still fine on my bike at 20 000km.
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Help make the TSAT a reality
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=241580.msg4325284#msg4325284

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 06:22:53 pm »
Yes it has at least one - it pushes through the two main bearings on the wishbone but the problem is it pushes the grease into a ridged channel between the two roller bearings on each gudgeon where most of it can remain unless it is really pressurised/pumped in hard. There was in fact white lithium grease traces still in these reservoirs despite the bearings being shot. The swingarm does not have grease nipples but am thinking of adding some. I have probably been negligent  in watching this area. It is water ingress that has ruined them through water crossings and maybe cleaning. The swingarm does not have seals at all!

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2014, 02:12:03 pm »
Bad news was that neither Pivot Works nor All Balls make a linkage kit for the 610/630  :-\   And none of the other models have exactly the same combination of bearings and bushes. OEM you are looking at R3.5K for all the parts!! I had almost given up when I found a kit at Motosport/Husqvarnaworld  at less than a third of that :thumleft:

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2014, 02:13:56 pm »
I got to checking the rear linkage bearings after noticing some lateral play when up on a lift - interestingly if high up the shock extended and the play was not really easily noticeable and likewise if completely down ... but if just a little pressure taken off back wheel then was very noticeable. In removing them I was at first pleasantly surprised that they still seemed reasonably well greased but then the one lower one had wear on the inner bush and had clearly had water ingress. I had hoped I could just regrease them but sadly not. So looks like I will be doing them all - probably with a Pivot Works kit.

I was surprised that the lateral play seemed to be built in - ie it was not there due to wear and also cannot be taken up through adjustment/torquing the bolts (on the two main ones anyway). Has anyone else replaced these bearings and found the same lateral/side to side play in these bearings? It is as if the internal bushing is too long? (no evident wear on the seal and spacer). They must be made like this but not sure why?

I read that this play is there to allow the shock to find it's best 'resting' position ... WTF?

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2014, 02:26:54 pm »
Yes it has at least one - it pushes through the two main bearings on the wishbone but the problem is it pushes the grease into a ridged channel between the two roller bearings on each gudgeon where most of it can remain unless it is really pressurised/pumped in hard. There was in fact white lithium grease traces still in these reservoirs despite the bearings being shot. The swingarm does not have grease nipples but am thinking of adding some. I have probably been negligent  in watching this area. It is water ingress that has ruined them through water crossings and maybe cleaning. The swingarm does not have seals at all!
Just checked my bike again and it has two grease nipples on the linkages. None on the swingarm as mentioned.
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2014, 08:18:33 pm »
Yes it has at least one - it pushes through the two main bearings on the wishbone but the problem is it pushes the grease into a ridged channel between the two roller bearings on each gudgeon where most of it can remain unless it is really pressurised/pumped in hard. There was in fact white lithium grease traces still in these reservoirs despite the bearings being shot. The swingarm does not have grease nipples but am thinking of adding some. I have probably been negligent  in watching this area. It is water ingress that has ruined them through water crossings and maybe cleaning. The swingarm does not have seals at all!

Just checked my bike again and it has two grease nipples on the linkages. None on the swingarm as mentioned.

Ja there are two - one on the wishbone and one on the dogbone linkage. I cannot emphasise enough how important it is to really pump these things till the grease comes out! The swingarm remains a major achilles heel - no seals of any nature and no grease nipples - the only thing that will keep water out there is a thin layer of grease that can exist between the swingarm and frame pivot points!

I pressed all the bearings out today ... Embarrassing pic below of the swingarm bearings and gudgeons - plus one out the wishbone (which has loose, non caged, needle bearings  :o)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 01:09:55 am by BiG DoM »

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2014, 09:40:49 pm »
Yes it has at least one - it pushes through the two main bearings on the wishbone but the problem is it pushes the grease into a ridged channel between the two roller bearings on each gudgeon where most of it can remain unless it is really pressurised/pumped in hard. There was in fact white lithium grease traces still in these reservoirs despite the bearings being shot. The swingarm does not have grease nipples but am thinking of adding some. I have probably been negligent  in watching this area. It is water ingress that has ruined them through water crossings and maybe cleaning. The swingarm does not have seals at all!

Ja there are two - one on the wishbone and one on the dogbone linkage. I cannot emphasise enough how important it is to really pump these things till the grease comes out! The swingarm remains a major achilles heel - no seals of any nature and no grease nipples - the only thing that will keep water out there is a thin layer of grease that can exist between the swingarm and frame pivot points!

I pressed all the bearings out today ... Embarrassing pic below of the swingarm bearings and gudgeons - plus one out the wishbone (which has loose needle bearings  :o)
At least you picked it up, you would not have realised if you were only riding. I'm willing to bet there are many who ride around with fooked bearings. Only noticing something is wrong when the rollers disintegrate or the swingarm shaft needs to be pressed out with a 10 ton jobbie.
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline wolf skaap

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2014, 10:10:51 pm »
When I just got my bike, I removed the swingarm bolt (with some persuasion) and cleaned/greased everything.

At least every 30hrs I do the following;
With the bike on a stand, I loosen the swingarm nut by ~10mm.
I then tap the end of the nut with a plastic hammer to check if it moves freely. (I can now move it by hand) This is literally a 2 minute job and saves me from a lot of potential pain.

I realise just now that it is very easy to check for a potentially seized swingarm bolt before buying second hand. Can surely help with the negotiations
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 10:14:05 pm by wolf skaap »
Let the good times roll!

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
Re: TE610 Swingarm and linkage bearings and bushes
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2014, 10:00:30 am »
Ok good news is finally found out that Pivot Works does indeed make a swingarm kit despite not showing when you do an online search on their website! Found the only one in SA at Game Services  ;D. Also All Balls does a linkage kit which the agents do not bring in ... I have ordered via FleaBay  :thumleft:
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 10:01:59 am by BiG DoM »