TE610 Swingarm and linkage bearings and bushes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BiG DoM

Grumpy Mutt
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS HP2
I got to checking the rear linkage bearings after noticing some lateral play when up on a lift - interestingly if high up the shock extended and the play was not really easily noticeable and likewise if completely down ... but if just a little pressure taken off back wheel then was very noticeable. In removing them I was at first pleasantly surprised that they still seemed reasonably well greased but then the one lower one had wear on the inner bush and had clearly had water ingress. I had hoped I could just regrease them but sadly not. So looks like I will be doing them all - probably with a Pivot Works kit.

I was surprised that the lateral play seemed to be built in - ie it was not there due to wear and also cannot be taken up through adjustment/torquing the bolts (on the two main ones anyway). Has anyone else replaced these bearings and found the same lateral/side to side play in these bearings? It is as if the internal bushing is too long? (no evident wear on the seal and spacer). They must be made like this but not sure why?