Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Evaluation a 2nd bike and how to check out the owner before buying.  (Read 12174 times)

Offline wino

• Old Boys Club
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pretoria
Re: Evaluation a 2nd bike and how to check out the owner before buying.
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 10:14:51 am »
Lito gave this advice on the old Barksa forum before I got my Dakar. All applicable to standard GS and most other bikes as well, I presume.
The bold items would mean you would have to spend some time to loosen screws and removing panels etc.

Imperative that you get the full toolkit or you need to replace it. Won't get far with standard screwdrivers! Not that much of a problem to replace but a hassle if one has to. All available on market.

I would add the following:

- If it has heated grips, check that it works.

Check rear brakes, they wear much quicker than front.

Check sprockets - front and rear - take the torx key and undo the 3 bolts that hold on the plastic cover of the countershaft front sprocket, and check. any wear on the teeth there that makes it look different to a new sprocket, means time to replace.

Check head bearings - rotate the handlebars with no load on it left to right. if it notches in the middle, then its gonna cost well over a grand to get it fixed by BMW. Just the bearings are R560, never mind labour.

Dakars are famous for the head bearings going. Like final drives on the bigger Bm's

Check any cuts in the front brake hydraulic lines.

Check the battery acid level. If the battery is dead or dying or ill maintained, it could cost you a pretty penny to replace.

Check the air filter. It will tell you a lot how the bike has been kept. To remove. Undo the centre blue plastic panel behind handlebars, you can pry the right hand side fairing off, thats where the air filter is.

Check for leaking front fork seals - any residue means replacement time. ANother grand or so....

Rotate the handlebars. The bars should stop turning on the head stop before it touches the screen. If not, it could indicate bent handlebars or front out of wack, from an accident.

Remove the seat, check for full toolkit, plus two spare keys, plus maintenance booklet stamped by BMW, and that the whole area under the seat is clean and no cut wires etc. This is where the fuel tank is.

These are the main Dakar issues.
He who angers you, controls you.

Offline Amstel

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2006, 12:42:43 pm »
...you should ask the seller who the main rider has been -- adults tend to be more gentle with bikes than kids...

Don't we all feel 16 on the back of our bikes?  :lol:
200GS - i never look back...when chased by a KTM

Offline Watty

• RIP 29-07-2011
  • Bike: Suzuki Djebel 250XC
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2007, 02:36:56 pm »
Used Motorcycle Evaluation Guide
Explains all that you need to know before buying a used bike.  An absolutely wonderful guide to buying a used bike, complete with picture references and a bibliography. Definitely worth a read-through if you plan on buying a used bike.

Used Motorcycle Evaluation Guide

Mods:  In my humble opinion, perhaps this post should be a sticky?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 02:40:35 pm by Watty »

Offline ge

• Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 03:38:54 pm »
Hope it's ok if I add some wisdom I learned the hard way here (more than one bad experience)...

One thing that is expensive and painful to sort out is messed up wheels, and they are actually really easy to check, even if the bike only has a sidestand. Just get the owner or friend to tug on some thing sturdy on the back of the bike so that just the front wheel and sidestand are on the ground, then you can get something like a pen or a stick or whatever, and hold it against the swing arm so that one end is lightly touching the rim. Do this on both sides and you'll find any kinks when you spin the wheel. Same goes for the front where you can just pull on the handle bars. You can probably get a feel for the condition of the wheel bearings and head bearings while the wheel is off the ground too.

The thing is, even if you still want to buy the bike, it is a good point to use for talking the price down. I could have saved myself a lot of money and time if I had done this for the last two bikes I bought.

Offline I&horse

• You look like a
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • was Andy 950
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008, 11:29:45 pm »
I was lucky, bought mine from a poser, never took it offroad. After I bought it people asked me if it was new. Ideally you want to see the sellers garage, if its a mess, check the bike out carefully.

(don't buy abike from me ;D)
Silence is golden...... Duct tape is silver

Everything works with smoke, if the smoke escapes, it stops working.

Offline shanti

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • rest stop moon
    • derek saul
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 08:27:58 pm »
Why I&horse ? Your bike is lovely ! Have you been dropping it recently ?

Offline I&horse

• You look like a
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • was Andy 950
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2009, 07:53:50 am »
Why I&horse ? Your bike is lovely ! Have you been dropping it recently ?

Dings in the front rim :P
Silence is golden...... Duct tape is silver

Everything works with smoke, if the smoke escapes, it stops working.

Offline Delport

• Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • When in doubt, pin it...
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 08:47:48 pm »

CHECK THE PREVIOUS OWNER.
Hopefully at first glance you have checked out the guy and summed him up. Is he a chancer/ ADVENTURER/ HOOLIGAN/ FADER
Chancer: Bought the bike somewhere/somehow and wants to make a quick buck - Doesn't know shyte about the bike or its history nor its reliablitity -DON'T BUY.
Adventurer: He is passionate about biking and probably took the Dakar to places you oly dreamt of. He has a good amount of km's with the bike but has maintaned and looked after the bike as it has looked after him. - This bike will have a few "marks" on that justifies as character but the owner will go through top to bottom on what is wrong with the bike because he knows it so well - Buy it only if you are not too worried about a few nicks and a fair amount of mileage. The adventurer usually wants to sell because he is upgrading.
Hooligan - aka the wheelie king/ drive it like you stole it / that is what a warranty is for....
Need I say more.... ask a guy profoundly: How well can you wheelie this bike - if he is a hooligan, you just triggered the testosterone and he willl blab on about how he tortured the bike to get a 1km wheelie out of it ..... need I say more.
FADER: Got married/ got a sore ass after the first ride/ Got a baby/ got into financial trouble/ bought the bike but wants to upgrade cause he's got too much money. Good buy. Usually a bike with very low km at a good price, somethimes with a drop scratcht due to the rider being new.
In Short - talk to the owner and get a good feel...
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 10:40:46 am by michnus »

Offline spoedvark

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2010, 09:50:44 am »
Motor bike batteries can cost you an arm and a leg at the bike shops. Go to battery centre and ask them. Far more reasonable. My BMW 650 GS battery at the bike shops was R 650 a few years ago and I bought one from battery centre for R 130. Slight saving????????
Go Big!
or
Go Home!!!!
Previous bikes:
Yamaha XS 400 Special Kawasaki ZX 10 Yamaha XT 550 BMW 650 GS BMW 1200 GS KEEP THE RUBBER DUSTY!!!!

Provocateur

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2010, 11:21:52 am »
I think that the buyer also needs to be checked out!!  Make sure that you don't let him/her out of your sight when "test-riding" the bike.  Don't hand over the bike until you have the payment either in your hands (watch out for cheques - they can be stopped) or in your bank account (once again, cheque deposits are not cash until cleared).
If you want to let them take the bike for a ride, keep their car keys, drivers licence (or ID book) and maybe cellphone with you until they return.  Let a mate with a (fast) bike accompany them.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 11:33:33 am by Provocateur »

Offline Pistonpete

• Shop Mods
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Live to Ride...Ride to Live
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2010, 11:23:39 am »
The same goes for a prospective girlfriends mother.....check her out first before parting with anything.... :deal: ;D
'Routine is the thief of time'

Offline letsgofishing

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
  • Sedgefield, Garden Route
    • http://www.mikekaplandesign.com
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2010, 11:26:38 am »
I think that the buyer allso needs to be checked out!!  Make sure that you don't let him/her out of your sight when "test-riding" the bike.  Don't hand over the bike until you have the payment either in your hands (watch out for cheques - they can be stopped) or in your bank account (once again, cheque deposits are not cash until cleared).
If you want to let them take the bike for a ride, keep their car keys, drivers licence and maybe cellphone with you until they return.  Let a mate with a (fast) bike accompany them.

Bit of a bummer if he gets stopped by the cops whilst out on the test ride!  ;)
There is nothing you can do about the past and you can't predict the future...all you have is the now...live it to the fullest.

www.mikekaplandesign.com

Provocateur

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2010, 11:30:43 am »
S'true!!  (But in Gangster's Paradise a small fee normally sorts that out).
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 11:56:02 am by Provocateur »

Provocateur

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2010, 08:15:46 am »
The same goes for a prospective girlfriends mother.....check her out first before parting with anything.... :deal: ;D

You've been watching the Allan Gray advertisment......

Offline TK-Ten

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2010, 05:42:05 am »
Also a good idea to find out who maintained and serviced the bike . Too many times okes who shouldn't even be allowed to operate a microwave try and work on their own bikes .  :P
Find ecstacy in life , the mere sense of living is joy enough .
KTM990 ADV . XR650R . FJR1300A . Yamaha Grizzly 550 4x4 . Kawasaki GTR1400

Offline Jonathan

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2011, 07:49:35 pm »
I disagree with the hooligan bit,,,, i am sure that we all enjoy a good wheelie every now and then, that doesnt mean that i dont love & look after my machine,,,,,,,,,,, i also find that it is a matter of survival to ride like a bit of a hooligan just to survive on a bike in the city, if you have to be polite you will get plastered all over a taxy or golden arrow bus !!! It is fairly easy when buying the bike keep an open mind, listen to what the seller tells you and use your own judgement.

Offline man on the moon

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2011, 09:10:26 pm »
The ones with massive post counts don't actually ride their bikes, so all the rubber seals, etc. will be perished and need replacing.  :pot:
[/quote]

:imaposer:

Offline Delport

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2011, 07:23:51 pm »
I disagree with the hooligan bit,,,, i am sure that we all enjoy a good wheelie every now and then, that doesnt mean that i dont love & look after my machine,,,,,,,,,,, i also find that it is a matter of survival to ride like a bit of a hooligan just to survive on a bike in the city, if you have to be polite you will get plastered all over a taxy or golden arrow bus !!! It is fairly easy when buying the bike keep an open mind, listen to what the seller tells you and use your own judgement.

Hi Jono, don't get me wrong on the wheelie bit. Rather look at the entire context and the "that is what a warranty is for" bit. IE a guy that rides the k...k out of a bike, whether it is cold, hot, new, old, without enough oil etc. You get the idea. Just like nobody wants to buy a GTI from a 23 year old.....

Offline Delport

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2011, 07:28:43 pm »
Many Wilddogs leave traces all over this forum, that will give you a good idea of their character, and how they are likely to treat machinery. So, when buying from a forum member, you'd do well to suss them out right here.

The ones with massive post counts don't actually ride their bikes, so all the rubber seals, etc. will be perished and need replacing.  :pot:

True on the above and a valid point, reminds me of the "Border War" for all you "old guys": The one's who had the best stories and were the biggest heros, were usually either the cooks or some or other office cadette....