Where is the adventure in modern DS biking?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirtyHarry

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R80GS
Modern DS biking as I see it today:
- We buy the most expensive and most kitted out DS bike mankind can possibly afford.
- We prefer to ride in convoy, just in case our new bike might not start in the morning.
- We like to ride dirt roads, but only to get dust on our bikes and to prove that we have been off tar. The rest of the trip we gun it on the tar road at speeds well over 140km/h.
- We gun it even on the dirt roads, mostly to show our mates how tuff we are.
- We insure our bikes to claim every scratch we make on our bikes. Why take responsibility for our own actions, let someone else pay!
- We have the dealership on speed dial. We know that we can't fix the complicated electronics on our bikes if things go wrong. Best to carry a Sat phone, just in case!
- We don't carry tools as we can't use them anyway. If we get a flat tyre, we hope that some of our mates will fix it.
- We plan all routes well in advance and stick to them no matter what.
- We worry about the best accommodation along the way and the closest restaurants and pubs.

What happened to all the tuff guys on their rather old but reliable bikes, searching the continent for the most remote dirt roads and undiscovered places?
What happened to the real adventure in our modern times?
Why do we want the latest technology to tackle a couple of dirt roads? Any halfway decent DS bike would do the job just fine.

You can see, I am confused. Please help me to understand.