Stalled in water

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OomD

Grey Hound
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 690 Adventure
This morning, going to work I crossed a little flooded section. The water was above my footpegs. The bike slowed down, but I attributed it to the force of the water against me. Commuters in Centurion may know the spot, it is as you cross under the railway bridge in Nelmapius, next to Irene.

Anyway, this afternoon I take the same road back. The road was closed, but they were letting bakkies through. I tried the pedestrian walkway first, but the concrete poles did not leave enough space for my bike to get through, so I attempted the water again. Didn't make it this time, the bike stalled at the deepest point of the water. So I had to get off and push the bike out.

I realised I had probably gotten water in the cylinders, so I did not attempt to restart. Once out of the water I took the plugs out (thank goodnes for my little toolbox!) and cranked the engine. It squirted water out as I expected it would, and after a few cranks I re-installed the plugs. At this point though the batttery was too low to start the engine. After some failed attempts at lending some jumpers from passing motorists (even the Metro cops did not have any) I pushed the bike to the little repair shop at the garage, and they were kind enough to jumpstart the bike.

Anyway, with some splutters and the occasional I got home eventually, where I took out the air filter to let it dry, and connected the battery to a charger.

So after this long-winded post, the question: After a water crossing like this, is there anything one should do as preventative maintenance? For example, some Q20 on the throttle cables and throttle bodies maybe? Apart from washing the bike, what should one do to help prevent any long term damage from such an episode, if anything?

For example, could some water have gotten into the final drive? I guess not, but I dunno. What about the wheel axles? Could water have gotten into the bearings? And the swingarm pivot point?

Appreciate some feedback, thanks!