XR125L Cable operated choke on the handlebars modification

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lecap

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DR650
I have modified Mrs. Le Cap's XR from the fidgety choke lever on the carb to a nice easy to use one on the handlebars.

You need:
A choke cable for a Honda Bol  d' Or part number 17950 - 425 - 000 at a cost of R271.81
A few pieces of 5x25 aluminium flat bar.
A nice coil spring.
Some small machine screws.
Some mechanical skill, time, tools and workshop equipment.

The nice part first: The OEM choke lever on the carb actually has a slot & fitting to take the choke cable nipple :cheers:

The not so nice part: The carb's choke works "the wrong way around" meaning the choke is forced to engage by the spring in the butterfly valve. This has to change :D

I made a clamp for the choke cable to attach it to the right side of the upper engine mount. Two pieces of the flat bar clamped together with a M5 screw and drilled through to take the end of the choke cable sleeve.

Next I made a attachment for the choke knob to fit onto the forward right handlebar clamping bolt.
It's a good idea to replace the handlebar clamping bolt with one 5mm longer. Use HT quality.
I replaced all four clamping bolts with nice high tensile ones with pretty and corrosion resistant cadmium plating.

The choke knob sits in the corner between the Renthal's cross brace and the handlebars on the right side.
I bent the little spring tab which secures the choke lever on the carb to make it turn smoothly without locking into position.

As return spring to force the choke into the off position I pressed two surplus ZX10 carb slide springs into service. One did work too but it felt a bit pap. I am looking to source a smaller diameter spring as a prettier replacement.

The Bol d' Or choke cable has a nice friction adjuster means the choke is now adjustable continuously and not only in two steps.
It's easy to pull even with thick gloves and to return it you just push it in with your thumb.

No more blind fiddling under the tank :cheers:

I'll post some pictures later.