Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Rain Suits  (Read 5948 times)

Offline Mikie

• Kyalami - Jozi
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
Re: Rain Suits
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2014, 08:30:28 pm »
Saw some rain suits at Full Throttle today for R250, looked pretty decent
:paw:

Pronounciation:
M-aai-kie
My-Key

Offline jagter

« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2014, 08:46:33 pm »
I have a 7 year old construction worker orange suit that lasted me 7 cape winters of comuting. Still 100% waterproof. Rolls up small enough to fit in my helmet.  It's highly visible and I only paid around R200. I find it hard to understand why you would pay more for a bulky suit that leaks.

Just make sure you get pants without a fly. I made that mistake first time round. Only used that suit once. With genital shrinking results. The water runs down the jacket and then pools nicely in the crotch.

Offline jagter

« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2014, 08:51:11 pm »
I find the rain suits (two piece) that they sell at Industrial Clothing (protection / work gear) shops are the best - waterproof enough, pack down small enough and last for years...but if they do start to leak then they're inexpensive enough to replace. Should not cost you more than R200 to R250.

Wayne

IMHO that's the final answer.

Offline Archer007

• Puppy
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2014, 09:25:56 pm »
I have a 7 year old construction worker orange suit that lasted me 7 cape winters of comuting. Still 100% waterproof. Rolls up small enough to fit in my helmet.  It's highly visible and I only paid around R200. I find it hard to understand why you would pay more for a bulky suit that leaks.

They clearly dont make them like they used to - leaked within 4 months of getting mine

Offline Lommies

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XR600
  • aka Arsène Lupin
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2014, 07:50:16 am »

They clearly dont make them like they used to - leaked within 4 months of getting mine

Oilskin at Pienaar Bros in Paarden Eiland  :thumleft:

Offline nemodakar

« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2014, 08:06:24 am »
R100.00 ones from the CO-OP, work just as well. You chuck them when they start leaking, which is not to soon.

Offline Humfree

• Forum Vendor
  • Pack Dog
  • Bike: Ural (all models)
  • GS Adventure Sidecar...
    • Sidecar Africa
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2014, 06:06:59 am »
I hate being wet so have done some research into rain suits.
There is more than one way of getting wet in a rain suit as if the thing does not "breathe" then you will sweat from the inside and get wet that way. This I found is the case with the Bone Dry suits.
I have ended up with the red 2 piece rain suit from BMW. Ja, I know what most of you are thinking but it is loose hands(sic) the best rain suit I have ever owned - I have ridden in Europe in the snow and driving rain for several days and also several times here at home without getting my balls wet (that is where they leak first where all the seams get together). I am talking real heavy rain - and when the rain is over you can keep on wearing the rain suit as you will not sweat from the inside.
We do a lot of adventure riding with the sidecars and it is great to ride dirt roads after rain and on those days I just wear the pants to keep splashing water off and my pants clean...     
Life is lived forwards but best understood backwards...

Offline Topie

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha TW200
« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2014, 07:15:33 am »
I just dropped off a 2 piece Oxford Super bright yellow Rainsuit for a fellow dog. Looks the business.

Not the bone dry, but I do those as well.

It fits well even over my riding jacket,and to be quite honnest...havent had the chance to test it yet

Offline Pavlovski

• Vendor
  • Vendors
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • www.jamiezone.co.za FOR ALL YOUR WÜRTH PRODUCTS
    • www.jamiezone.co.za
« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2014, 08:18:01 am »
I was fortunate enough to score a descent rain suit from my old man.....only draw-back is that it is a Harley Davidson rainsuit. Needless to say when i ride with my H-D rainsuit on the GS i am the target for many jokes.  :biggrin:Come what may, it is a proper rain suit & it keeps me dry. I'll go as far as to say it is the best rain suit I ever had :thumleft: :ricky:
Currently owns: BMW R1200R & Honda CX500

Previously owned: BMW R1150GS, BMW G650GS, BMW R1150R, Suzuki SV1000, Suzuki DL650 V-strom, Hyosung GT250, BMW F800ST, BMW K1200S, Harley XL1200 Sportster Custom, SYM 125 Scooter, BMW G650 X-Country

Offline Beebop

« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2014, 09:04:09 am »
I picked up one at Silverton Midas 10 days ago, just havent had a chance to test it yet.
Its a 4 piece with the gloves stored in pockets inside the sleeves, quite nifty.
Paid R770 for it, so hope it does the job.

Offline malcolmt

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2014, 10:54:54 am »
I picked up one at Silverton Midas 10 days ago, just havent had a chance to test it yet.
Its a 4 piece with the gloves stored in pockets inside the sleeves, quite nifty.
Paid R770 for it, so hope it does the job.

Judging by our dry summer you may need to wait till November to try it.
My rainsuit is stuffed but I'll look for a mid winter bargain to replace it.
A bike on the road is worth two in the shed

Offline Heimer

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Kan nie ALZ onthou nie
    • Social Travel Digital solutions
« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2014, 11:24:25 am »
I have been using a unmatched jacket (Unfleeced / waterproof nylon)  and broeks, used by hikers from Cape Union Mart for the last 5 years

Buy oversize to quickly put it on over your riding gear. Make sure the pant have zippers at the legs to open and get it on over your boots. It helps if the jacket has a hood - which you put on before putting on your helmet

Point is - two piece is better // Oversize is good / Quality lasts.

Matriek getuigskrif 1979: ........... is 'n vriendelike seun met volop selfvertroue. Hy tree soms vreemd op. Die skool se beste wense vergesel hom.

Offline Topie

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha TW200
« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2014, 11:48:51 am »
The Oxford rain suit I got from SharingRoads works like a charm..    :thumleft:

Offline Boertjie

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • The older I get, the faster I used to be!!
« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2014, 12:25:10 pm »
I am now on my second cheapy rain suit 2 piece from Mr Farmer. The first one lasted two Cape Town winters use frequently commuting. In the end it tore on the zipper. These suits are really good for their money. I have been in torrential rain riding from PE to Knysna and was the only one that was not soaked. It helps if you tape up the crutch area with duct tape on the inside. It will also work well on the seams, but I have not had the need to do that yet.

Cost was about R200 for the first one and the second one bought a week ago at Mr Farmer for R245.
Dagaty!!!
Boertjie weg.

BMW R1200GS, Honda Varadero XL1000V

Offline Kenzogs

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2014, 03:52:36 pm »
I have been through a few rain suits and presently have a CORE suit. Cannot recall how much I paid and I find the pants still watertight after 3 years. The jacket is OK - has zip, velcro and press studs but is too tight to fit over my riding jacket so i bought a waterproof canoeist jacket from shop in Durban. It does not have a zip (pull -over type) and I put he hood on under my helmet to stop water running down my neck.
You can never get lost - you just reach a different destination.
Every road has to lead somewhere - even if it is a dead-end.

Offline dirtyXT

Re:
« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2014, 03:57:57 pm »
I think I bought a industrial orange suit via crab in pe. 3xl. not gourmet but saves the most. for me rain on a bike you're gonna be wet just how tight you wrap it. personally I would like a booties included deal. boots/shoes is where it happens.  neck just deal.
Bike history:
Ital jet 50 - sold, DT 50 - scrapped - AR80 - sold DT185 - confiscated  KDX250 - sold ZZR400 - sold KX500 - XT660R Swapped for R1 YZF R1 - sold - XT660Z - sold

Offline Single Cylinder

• Race Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Kickstart the beast or push the button
« Reply #56 on: March 30, 2014, 06:58:19 pm »
Oilskin pants & jacket available at any fishing/tackle shop work well. :thumleft:
I am not lazy, I am energy efficient.
Honda CB750 sold
Honda Elsinore 250 stolen
Honda XR500 sold, Kawasaki Ninja 750 sold
TDM 850

Offline jagter

« Reply #57 on: March 31, 2014, 09:06:34 am »

As you said this, mine started leaking. After many years, the rubber coating on the inside is starting to flake off. So no more waterproof. 

Still looking for a new one.  At the moment I have a blue 2 piece of unknown origin, and it's a piece of crap. The rain comes through the jacket zip, and the pants have a fly, so I have to wear them backwards.

Online roxenz

• rocks make sense
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • cheerful yesterdays and confident tomorrows
« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2014, 01:37:51 pm »
My rain suit (bright yellow and blue, makes me look like a Metro) was bought from Mosskays just over a decade ago for R120 or some such. Initially, on a scooter, this was my ATGATT! apart from a cheap Vega helmet of course (I think that cost about R250...   :o ).  I still use the rain suit.  Yes, it leaks, and I get a wet crotch as well, but then I just take my wet stuff off and put it over the fan heater, lock my office door and work au naturel until the clothes are dry...

Perhaps I also should buy a new rain suit.   ;D

Offline DCR

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
« Reply #59 on: March 31, 2014, 02:17:58 pm »
Don't be scared, go full banana!