Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Rain Suits  (Read 5939 times)

Offline malcolmt

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
Re: Rain Suits
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2014, 12:40:06 pm »
You are making it very public, that you are new (again) in the world of  D/S biking Mikie !!!!!!

You don't want to get wet on a long tour on the bike. R 800 for a good rain suit will be money well spend !  :ricky:

:laughing4:

My balls are still wet from this mornings soaking, I have a rainsuit jacket, but nothing for my pants, I dotn mind getting wet but sitting at work with a wet crotch isnt very comfy

Watch out for crotch rot and moss in the underwear.
A bike on the road is worth two in the shed

Offline Gérrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Wiff a Sidecar... form Kabega
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2014, 12:48:27 pm »
My BMW one was good for two years. This morning I was wet from the waist down. I see there is a hole between the legs. Will see if I can get some waterproof tape and patch it.

Sealed my pants with a seam sealing glue you get at most outdoor shops. Seamgrip
Still holding strong after a couple of uses.

Also patched a tear in my pant leg with duct tape last year which is still holding.

It is a Vuka rainsuit.

If only they were still on the market, I'd buy a few and save them for a rainy day  :biggrin:
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2014, 01:16:05 pm »

It is a Vuka rainsuit.

If only they were still on the market, I'd buy a few and save them for a rainy day  :biggrin:

Is the Perfecto not a close match?

Offline Gérrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Wiff a Sidecar... form Kabega
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2014, 01:26:18 pm »

It is a Vuka rainsuit.

Is the Perfecto not a close match?

Who sells them ?
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !

Offline Sharingroads

• Race Dog
  • Bike: DKW (all models)
    • Sharing Roads
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2014, 01:45:21 pm »
I just dropped off a 2 piece Oxford Super bright yellow Rainsuit for a fellow dog. Looks the business.

Not the bone dry, but I do those as well.

Offline Sylvester

« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2014, 01:55:33 pm »
I have a XCULCHA 2-piece suit bought about 4 years ago from Full Throttle for under R500.  Still works 100%.  When the first drops fall I stop next to the road and put it on over bike jacket and pants under 2 minutes. Very effective.

Don't bother with waterproof bike jackets or waterproof liners.  The waterproofing does not last after the first wash and liners are a schlep to fit.  Even if the liners keep you dry, the jacket itself is usually soaking wet.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 01:56:51 pm by Sylvester »
I consider myself a pessimist. I am therefore always right...eventually.

Offline CycleC

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2014, 03:20:34 pm »
I have a 4 piece rain suit AMA, think it is imported by autocycle centre. It has pants, Jacket, Booties that go over your shoes and mits that go over the gloves, I have ridden in serious rain and remained bone dry - It cost R 600 and is worth every cent , I am sure they are available at most bike shops.

Offline plaky

« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2014, 03:51:25 pm »
I have a no name brand black pants I bought at Trac Mac for around R250. Commute every day, also in rain and do date it has worked well and stay dry. The only problem is when it is not cold you sweat on the inside with the pants but that dries qucikly. My bike jacket is waterprrof but also have a rain jacket for heavy rain that goes over jacket.
I am keen to find out more as to where I can buy the AMA suit. Happy to spend that kind of money. What are thier rain booties like? I have a pair of not great slip ons from Trac Mac as well in Bellville.

Offline CycleC

« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2014, 04:17:46 pm »
I have a no name brand black pants I bought at Trac Mac for around R250. Commute every day, also in rain and do date it has worked well and stay dry. The only problem is when it is not cold you sweat on the inside with the pants but that dries qucikly. My bike jacket is waterprrof but also have a rain jacket for heavy rain that goes over jacket.
I am keen to find out more as to where I can buy the AMA suit. Happy to spend that kind of money. What are thier rain booties like? I have a pair of not great slip ons from Trac Mac as well in Bellville.

The boots have a hard rubber sole and then the same material as the pants for the rest,I have used them a lot and they work well, just suiting up in the rain gear is a mission but better than getting soaked, these rain suits also work well in winter to block out the cold. Any bike shop should sell the AMA brand, it comes from Autocycle Centre

Offline Gee S

« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2014, 04:21:38 pm »
Well I just came back from Auto Alpina. What a schocker. :o :o :o The one set was R3200-00 for the jacket alone plus R1500-00 or R1800-00 for the pants. The other two piece was R2300-00 for the set. Needless to say I did not buy anything.
I will put seam grip that I got with my Great Basin bag on tonight and then try to get some dark grey duct tape. If that does not work I will just buy something else.
BMW and their crazy prices ???
All that wander are not lost

Offline The Badger

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Thank you SADF
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2014, 04:44:45 pm »
My AMA rainsuite ( African you know) 2 piece lasted 4 years and roughly 80 000km's and it has now started leaking badly.

My wifes bought at the same time is stil 100%.

I agree with the schlepp but it is worth and really helps in winter with the cold.

They are big and bulky though to pack. I strap our two on top of the topbox ( see pic )
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 04:48:42 pm by The Badger »
Good friends and fresh mud......

It is not about what you ride...... but WHO you ride with !

Offline 650Thumper

• Pack Dog
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2014, 05:04:05 pm »
Bought my BMW one piece in 2007 (Black with yellow markings)
Still 100 % dry, and when the time comes for a new one I'll look no further..

* anti slip section between but and saddle
* Heat resistant leg bottoms so you don't melt your suit on your pipe
* Of-centre zipper so water doesn't dam up on the creases

(yea, I hate wet balls)  :snorting: :snorting:
..."my other bike is a K1300R"

Offline Tiger8

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2014, 05:30:06 pm »
Forgot to mention, Des and I bought rainsuits from Pistonpete when we returned home in January, from Cape Town in that major rain. Best rainsuit ever, didn't leak and kept us dry, good investment, thanks Pete.

Oh yeah as per WD's practise, affordable to boot.

Jacket with built in mits that fit over gloves, pants and boot covers, comfortable to wear and proper "Big boy" Sizing, not china sized.  :thumleft:

Don't Sweat the Petty Stuff & Don't Pet the Sweaty Stuff!
Triumph Sprint 1050ST
Yamaha WR450F

Offline plaky

« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2014, 10:32:50 am »
Piston Pete, can you give me more details with regards to your rain suit re prices, sizes, where you are based? Thanx.

Offline Bootneck

« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2014, 01:45:50 pm »
Ja PistonPete I'd also like to know how much your rainkit costs.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 09:20:20 am by Bootneck »

Offline Wayne Duck

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Freedom Behind Bars
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2014, 02:06:51 pm »
I find the rain suits (two piece) that they sell at Industrial Clothing (protection / work gear) shops are the best - waterproof enough, pack down small enough and last for years...but if they do start to leak then they're inexpensive enough to replace. Should not cost you more than R200 to R250.

Wayne
Links to my Ride Reports...
I have listed (with links) all my ride reports at the start of this ride report here:
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=121459.0

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2014, 02:27:43 pm »
Well I just came back from Auto Alpina. What a schocker. :o :o :o The one set was R3200-00 for the jacket alone plus R1500-00 or R1800-00 for the pants. The other two piece was R2300-00 for the set. Needless to say I did not buy anything.

What? R5,000 or just short thereof for a full rain suit? Surely they have cheaper options?
I was under the impression you would be looking at about R1,800 for a BMW rain suit.

I see the KTM rain suit is just under R1,800. Anyone have one of those?

PS Apart from my Vuka suit, which I use when I know it is gonna rain, I also have a hiking rain suit which I pack in case of emergency when I don't expect it to rain (it packs small). The latter is 20 years old and still waterproof. Tried to search the outdoor stores but don't see anything similar. They now sell pants and jackets separate.

Anyone tried one of these cycling rain shells on a bike?  They pack really small but don't look up to the task.

Offline THROTTLE JOCKEY

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • Number plate T JOCKEY EC
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2014, 02:31:35 pm »

What? R5,000 or just short thereof for a full rain suit? Surely they have cheaper options?
I was under the impression you would be looking at about R1,800 for a BMW rain suit.

I see the KTM rain suit is just under R1,800. Anyone have one of those?

PS Apart from my Vuka suit, which I use when I know it is gonna rain, I also have a hiking rain suit which I pack in case of emergency when I don't expect it to rain (it packs small). The latter is 20 years old and still waterproof. Tried to search the outdoor stores but don't see anything similar. They now sell pants and jackets separate.

Anyone tried one of these cycling rain shells on a bike?  They pack really small but don't look up to the task.

I do

My post was deleted!

Maybe just a tad descriptive on how Kak they are. Use mine as a wind breaker now.

BMW ones are best.
Ride it like you stole it!

OWN:KTM 950 SE***Suzuki DR650***Yamaha XT 600 Tenere***Yamaha XT 200***Honda CRF450X***Honda TRX 300 Quad***CRF1000AT
LIBERATED:KTM 640 Adventure***Suzuki 200 Djebel
SOLD:HONDA CRF450R***Honda CR250R***Yamaha YZ250***Yamaha WR200***BMW F800GS***YAMAHA XT660 extreme***Yamaha XT660

Offline Pistonpete

• Shop Mods
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Live to Ride...Ride to Live
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2014, 03:20:56 pm »
Piston Pete, can you give me more details with regards to your rain suit re prices, sizes, where you are based? Thanx.
As per reference  :thumleft:
AMA Rain Suit R512.00 I have stock but maybe not in ALL sizes. I expect new stock incoming would be a bit more. Come pop in anytime.
Montague Gardens
19 Dawn Rd
10 Dawn Park
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 03:21:35 pm by Pistonpete »
'Routine is the thief of time'

Offline Bootneck

« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2014, 03:30:15 pm »
PistonPete, do you maybe have a photo of the rain suit??  Is it a 2 piece or one piece??
Proper nice price too!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 03:32:50 pm by Bootneck »