BMW MUSEUM MUNCHEN

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRAVELTRAVEL

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS Adventure
I suppose this probably could be seen as a ride report of sorts, even though I did not do any two wheel riding during this time I thought it might be of some interest to the BMW fans .If not , please advise where it should be posted.

During the recent festive season I undertook a two week trip to Europe with my wife and youngest daughter. She is a very enthusiastic classical music student and as such is extremely interested in the classical composers such as Mozart , Beethoven etc and a guy called Smetana which I have never even heard of before. After years of planning , scrimping and saving (and promises) we  eventually managed to get going and visited places such as Prague , Vienna and Salzburg to attend a classical concert in each place and visit the various museums , houses etc where these guys used to hold sway and entertain the masses and royalty of the time.

I made one deal and that is when we eventually get to Munchen that I would have a day off to visit the BMW museum on my own. This was agreed to and eventually I managed to get there. This is also directly opposite the Olympic stadium where in the seventies a group of Israeli athletes got killed during a botched terrorist operation which I assume my generation should remember.

The museum on the one side of the road and BMW Welt on the other side was to say the least an extremely interesting places and well worth the effort to visit. Extremely modern on one end and classic on the other end as they have an example of every BMW motorcycle model ever made from as far back as the early 1920's.
That is not even to mention the various prototypes and special builds over the years. Interesting to see that even in 1923 they already had a very successful supercharged airhead that they used for racing( see photos later on in the post)

Even though I am not a great fan of the BMW cars , the selection that is on display was awesome to say the least. Interesting to note that the very first BMW 4 wheeled vehicle was a panel van that was used to deliver spares for aircraft engines and motorcycles etc.

The complete development of the various models are explained in the finest detail and at least one full day should be spent there to at least get an idea of what it is all about. I wont bore you with too much rambling on my part , suffice to say that every real fan of BMW's should try and see this place.

I will post as many photos as possible in the next few posts. (I am somewhat technologically challenged and sometimes get stumped by difficulties related to size and number of photos).

Furthermore. I also managed to visit the Deutches Museum some distance away and all I can say is that anybody that has any type of interest in anything technical should set aside at least a week to visit this place.

Every industry that you can think of is represented there as well as every major scientific thing that shape our every day life. One day is definitely not enough. From anything remotely associated with marine engineering , aircraft , space travel , oil exploration , Trains , cars , and bikes of course, textiles , musical instruments and much much more is on display in the finest detail. Every type of steam engine , aircraft engines etc is on display.

Even the museum shop had toys in it that made want to be 12 years old again. Anyway some more about this later.

We also visited the Hofbrauhaus for a meal and a drink(Beer of course which even my wife and daughter drank)