Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Never fear SA  (Read 5195 times)

Offline Paulsky

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • If it's not Blue with a bit of Orange it's a Lemon
Never fear SA
« on: February 01, 2008, 12:33:32 pm »
Check this mail I got sent

Sent: 28 January 2008 07:32
To: All Users
Subject: What a start to 2008...

Hi guys,

2008 has certainly started with a bang! The future was rosy on 31 December 2007, but suddenly everyone is buying candles and researching property in Perth!

A combination of recession in the USA, global equity market negativity, high interest rates, the National Credit Act and power outages have combined to create the perfect storm.

But don't panic!

This is not the first time there's been doom and gloom. Every few years the same thing happens. We experience massive economic growth, everyone is optimistic and buying Nescafe Gold, and holiday homes, and Merc's.  The positivity gets ahead of itself and the economy overheats, and then panic sets in because the economy seems to be collapsing when in actual fact it's simply making an adjustment back to a reasonable level.

It happened in 1989, when SA defaulted on its international loans and the stock market and Rand crashed, it happened in 1994 when the ANC took power and everyone thought war would break out, it happened in 1998 when interest rates hit 25% and you couldn't give away your house, and it happened in 2001 when a fairly unstable guy by the name of Osama arranged for 2 Boeings to fly into the tallest buildings in New York!

On each of those occasions everyone thought it was the end of the world and that there was no light in sight. And on each occasion, believe it or not, the world did not actually end, it recovered and in fact things continued to get better.

I think 2008 will be a tough year, but I also see it as a great opportunity to seize the day whilst everyone else is whinging and get a front-seat on the inevitable boom that we'll experience in 2009, 2010 and beyond.

Make sure you make a mental note of everything that is happening now, because it will happen again and again, and if you don't recognize the symptoms you'll be suckered into the same negativity, and forget to look for the opportunities.

It's easy to be negative. Subconsciously, you WANT to be negative! Whenever you open the papers they tell you about the goriest hi-jacking and the most corrupt politicians. Why don't they dedicate more pages to the fact that Joburg is the world's biggest man-made forest, or to the corruption-free achievements of the vast majority of public officials? Because bad news sells. Good news is boring.

SA still has the best weather in world! We're lucky enough to possess a huge chunk of the world's resources, i.e.: gold, platinum, coal, iron. The growth in India and China will continue to accelerate (India and China sign 10mil new mobile customers every month), and so will their demand for our resources. The government has already embarked on massive infrastructure projects (some of them a tad late, i.e.: electricity), and this will pump money into the economy.

We are all lucky enough to be a part of the birth of a massive and all-encompassing industry. The Internet has and will continue to change the world. The enormity of its impact is up there with the wheel, electricity, TV, telephones, and possibly man's greatest ever invention, coffee. Not only does it open up an entirely untapped world of commerce, but it is also the ultimate disseminator of information and news. Apartheid would not have lasted 40 years if the Internet had existed! And you're part of it!

I'm looking forward to another year of ASA complaints, IR issues, Plug & Wireless parties, BTS roll-outs, billing runs, irate customers, happy customers, orange bubbles, faulty elevators, etc, etc. The nice stuff makes me feel good, and the challenges remind me why we can beat the competition. Most importantly I'm looking forward to having fun and making memories.

So ignore the doomsayers, install a timer on your geyser, and buy Ricoffee for a couple of months.

Cheers,

Alan

" TARRED ROADS , JUST ANOTHER PERFECT EXAMPLE OF NEEDLESS,  SPENDING BY THE GOVERNMENT"

Offline edgy

Re: Never fear SA
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 02:49:39 pm »
Spoken like a true Souf afrikan.....could"nt agree more,and i still have to meet any of my many mates in Oz or the U.K that are truley happy!
www.astonesthrow.co.za

BEER..."I drink it when I`m happy or when I`m sad. I drink it when I`m alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. Trifle with it if I`m not hungry and drink it when I am. Otherwise, I never touch it - unless I`m thirsty"

Offline I&horse

• You look like a
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • was Andy 950
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 03:42:08 pm »
Well said..... now who's gonna help me with my bond payments??????
Silence is golden...... Duct tape is silver

Everything works with smoke, if the smoke escapes, it stops working.

Offline Operator

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 03:51:06 pm »
This exact same letter was posted in another thread this morning.

Link :  http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=14428.0

Offline luke

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 09:08:47 pm »
So,,,,,,,,what's wrong with Ricoffy ???
Grey haired riders don't get that way by pure luck ! !

Offline GIDEON

• Born in the year of the Tiger
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Triumph 800 XC
  • Bikes est dans mon sang
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008, 11:35:32 pm »
very nice

Nobody can be exactly like me. Sometimes even I have trouble doing it.

Offline Bone Machine

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 03:30:09 pm »
that's definitely an interesting view of current affairs with some relevance, bottom line however: SA has one of the highest crime rates in the world, and that fact is the driving factor for 90% of all the negativity in this country. and i will not be so naive as to turn a blind eye to that. people get murdered everyday by the hundreds, it is a serious fucking problem.

Offline Xavier

• Race Dog
  • - - -
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2008, 05:23:28 pm »
Well put B M...

How do parents feel when they have their daughter raped and strangled in their house?
How do children feel after they have seen their Father shot 5 times, and have him tell them he love's them before he dies?

The uncertain financial and economic outlook I can deal with - hearing that my Mother and Father were brutally murdered on their farm (they live on one) I WILL NOT BE ABLE TO.
Those who beat their swords into plough shears, will plough for those who did not

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2008, 09:01:31 am »
Bone Machine and Xavier

do us a favour and emigrate as soon as you can. Thanks

Offline Ama ride ride

• Gravel unlimited
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Zero (all models)
  • Ride to ride again
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2008, 11:12:30 am »
I know the crime is a bliksem but I would like to ask anybody who complains about it....

What did you do (contribute) to make your neighborhood saver?

Crime is an unaccepted reallity but the good people (non criminals) still outnumbers the criminals by far.

Gewoontlik n@@i ek reguit aan op fyndraai.

Offline The TRANSPORTER

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2008, 11:20:13 am »
Yebo im here to stay....eish Ricoffy it is... ;D ;D

Hell AMA when is that parra of yours gonna catch a fish or two.... ;D ;D ;D
I told her i was married, she said 'me too, who cares, lets ride!'

Offline Xavier

• Race Dog
  • - - -
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2008, 11:38:16 am »
LuckyStriker - I know ignorance is bliss, but for some of us it does not make the problems go away.
Those who beat their swords into plough shears, will plough for those who did not

Offline Ama ride ride

• Gravel unlimited
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Zero (all models)
  • Ride to ride again
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2008, 11:44:44 am »
Yebo im here to stay....eish Ricoffy it is... ;D ;D

Hell AMA when is that parra of yours gonna catch a fish or two.... ;D ;D ;D

vis wili byt nie......
Gewoontlik n@@i ek reguit aan op fyndraai.

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2008, 11:59:57 am »
LuckyStriker - I know ignorance is bliss, but for some of us it does not make the problems go away.

Please don't call me ignorant or claim that I ignore problems. You don't know me well enough.
If you want to sh*t on positive posts, rather visit a thread about all the bad things, there are some of those on the forum too.

Offline Xavier

• Race Dog
  • - - -
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2008, 12:35:52 pm »
LS - I agree, I do not know you well enough (or not at all).  It was not my intention to come across as implying that you are ignorant, not at all.
But in you posting the old cliché of "if you don't like it, leave" (quote - 'do us a favor'), is about as one-track minded as my post could be interpreted as.

As to shting on positive posts - Please don't see me as the eternal pessimist, I know I am not (if I may, quote "You don't know me well enough''). It is just unfortunate that pessimism and realism share greater similarity's that optimism ever will.  Is posting, in any thread not about 'voicing' one's opinion. Are posting one's opinion not about 'balance' on any topic?

But then again, people are different, I acknowledge that. Some wants other to argue a point so as to establish a balance. If the pro's outweigh the con's, and it can be argued on fact, I will bow to pro's. 
Others want all and sundry to agree with them (note: I am not insinuating anything, this sword cut both way's!)

I post with the former in mind.

LS, it was not my intention to insult or insinuate anything about you. 

Paulsky - apologies for the highjack

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2008, 12:45:45 pm »
Everything is cool. I don't hold it against you because I recognise your frustration.

Admittedly I was so glad to see a positive posting about South Africa that I got angry when someone mentioned the negative issues

No worries, I'd be happy to share a beer with you (just not out of the same bottle ;D )
I regret if my 'emigrate' comment caused offence

Offline Xavier

• Race Dog
  • - - -
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2008, 01:00:20 pm »
I will not forget, but you must allow me the privilege of the first round!

No offense taken!

Here's to many more 'argumentative conversations'  ;D

dustsucker

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2008, 02:33:25 pm »
Has anyone ever wondered if the 'effect' we are having now in this country in not linked to a 'cause' we (Europeans) have created ourselves many moons ego? Please note, i am not saying crime is right and the victums deserve it. I am asking if we have ever sat down and wondered what our contribution to the problem has been.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 02:36:54 pm by dustsucker »

Offline Fidel

• Capo di Rompe Coglione
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
  • U KANTE KILLE ME
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2008, 04:17:37 pm »
Man, Hou jou bek, rot gefrieet.  ;)

Did you look at what your wifes ouma, se ouma, se ouma did before you accepted her. No.
We should not keep on harping of what was. Who ever makes kak in life will get his kak, and narrow minded appartheit regime of the past did. We live in today.

I as you, im sure, had fokall to do with the previous regime.

As regards our land. Humans are animals of adaptability. Wherever we find ourselves we will need to choose weather or not we want to adapt to survive.

Is it worth adapting to the crime, corruption, short sighted culture in this land as a trade off to the weather, beauty, diversity?

We need to make a choice.

dustsucker

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2008, 04:51:15 pm »
@ssho.... :laughing4: