Will it be a stupid idea?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Namakwalander

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR250 Tornado
Hey guys

Don't know if I am actually going mad or if this is only a crazy idea. My FIL has an old Yamaha AG175 (looks like pre 1979) on the farm which probably has not moved for the last 10 years or so. Luckily it is standing in a garage. So was kept away from the elements in this time.

I was thinking to ask my FIL if I can "save" this bike and fix it up for myself to use as a commuter. I know this thing is very slow being a farm bike and all, but this will be my first bike (plus I do less than 20km a day). So might be good to learn on. Obviously I will first find out why the bike has been standing for so long before I commit. Also still unsure of parts availability and cost. Just know that the AG175 apparently have a few parts in common with a CT3.

So I was thinking this can probably cost me over R10k to fix, but in the process I will have the joy of learning something new and in the end a "classic" bike that I fixed up myself.

The other option is boring and predictable. This would be to just buy a second hand xr125 or similar and just use that.

So opinions please and advice.

(bike is similar to the on in the attached picture)

Attachments

• 2013%5c02%5c21%5cbikepics-2519637-320.jpg
    2013%5c02%5c21%5cbikepics-2519637-320.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 794