Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Not quite sure if i agree, please give your opinion...  (Read 3797 times)

Online zacapa

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XR650L
  • XR650L - 134.217kg lite weight special...
Re: Not quite sure if i agree, please give your opinion...
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2014, 05:49:32 pm »
Any half decent road bike makes for a great adventure bike if the rider is willing to go. Had many trips (sometimes 2 up) on my R100RS to die Hel, through the Karoo up Sani pass
and so on. Fast forward 28 years and I now ride a motley collection of proper and unproper ADV bikes like XR650L, NC700X and the odd airhead boxer. Even the NC will make it down and up that notorious driveway at Umthombekei - last years bash venue without problems where a few  others have been known to falter on their heavy GS1200's.
Its all in your head and sure the wifey will love a NC750X "roadbike"

Offline Beebop

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2014, 08:02:08 pm »
And yet the Buell has belt drive and I've yet to hear guys complain about it picking up stones etc.

Offline Bubby

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2014, 08:29:58 pm »
You don't need an expensive large capacity bike to do adventure riding. You don't need loads of fancy gadgets to do adventure riding. All you need is a bike (any bike) and the desire to go on an adventure.

Very true....saw Deadmeat aka Chucky take his little commuter on a few dirt rides.

Offline MooseRider

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 600 Z
  • Stofpad langs
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2014, 11:56:29 pm »
 Ek het jare terug 'n jlein Suzuki GT 200 X5 padfiets gehad waarmee ek die wereld platgery het. Het toe nog in Tzaneen gebly en het al wat 'n grondapd, teerpad, bergpad of tweespoor gery. Waar 'n wil is, is 'n weg
:ricky:
Laat waai Meraai
As jy dom is moet jy leer!!!
Yamaha DT 125 Enduro (Sold)
Suzuki GT 200X5 (Stolen)
Yamaha XT 600 Z Tenere (Sold)

Offline The Rock

• Peter: a masculine given name, derived from the Greek word πέτρος (petros) meaning "Rock".
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
  • Revelation 19
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2014, 09:21:30 am »
if Zollie can do it with his VFR, sure you can do it on your ST.....

http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=115020.msg2755232#msg2755232

granted, Zollie is a bit of a malletjie...  :peepwall:

but before you do that to a road bike, i would say: "What BigDom said"...
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 09:24:32 am by The Rock »
Honda XL650V Transalp
Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird
Gomoto X-act 200
Yamaha F310

Offline RedRo

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW F700GS
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2014, 09:32:04 am »
Feel free to pass this on to your wife, from another wife...

Dear, making your husband sell his 800GS and buy a road oriented 800 must be one of the silliest things you have done in your life, for a number of reasons:

1. He would be safer on the 800GS than the road oriented 800 on any road surface, and also in traffic, since the higher and upright seating position allows him to see further ahead.

2. He would be safer on these out of the way back roads than on any type of road in traffic any day, even if he rides solo in desolated places.

3. Making a husband (or wife for that matter) do something he or she does not want to do will lead to much sadness later in life, and this is the most dangerous of my three comments to you, since this is the one which ends marriages.

Lastly, we all ride, my husband, our daughter and I, and believe me, we are all concerned about the other's safety when we are riding, it sort of makes sense since we care for each other.  BUT, also since we care for each other, we allow each other room to live our lives, and some people "live" in different ways than others.  So please get over this, and go and tell your husband to sell the road oriented piece of crap and get himself a DS bike again - you can thank me later.

Online BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2014, 09:34:49 am »
Thanks Redro for the confirmation. I trust coming from another woman it will have some agency.   :thumleft:

Maybe also ask your wife if she has ever seen a DS bike parked outside a psychologist's rooms?   :ricky:
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky: