Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: DR650 Paints  (Read 452 times)

Offline Munro39

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
DR650 Paints
« on: February 08, 2014, 12:19:21 pm »
Hi guys,

I'm looking to do some patch work on the bike if it is at all possible. I have a quote for R2500 for powder coating, but it isn't worth it to me to have to strip the whole bike and pay that much for a few bits of rust. Has anyone tried any products to remove and paint over rusted areas on the gray/silver frame?

I have found ColorRite and Duplicolor products to use, but neither are available in SA. The only thing I have found is Hammerite, but I was advised by the guy at the store that the colour will be quite drastically different and I'd need to redo the whole area (and for me, that would mean the whole bike. Can't have different areas of frame in different colours).

I've also seen that people use Rustoleum on the plastics - which rustoleum product would this be?

Thanks,

Neil

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
Re: DR650 Paints
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 11:14:37 am »
Sub.

Offline Wildcoast

• Bike: Honda XL1000V Varadero
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 11:20:55 am »
Check the older DR thread pre 96 and chat to Veemax 2 , I used the standard rustoleum rattle can for my plastics, preperation is the key

Offline chopperpilot

• Afrikaans...Dis my taal! Engels...Dit verstaan ek ook!
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • "Jack of all Trades... Master of Some."
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 12:00:24 pm »
I sent you a few PMs, on what I did on my wife's '08 DR 650, to prep it for selling!

The quality of paint on the older DR frames was much better than the current ones.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Current Bikes : KTM 990 R, KTM 500 XCW

End of an Era : Suzuki DR 650 SE, Husqvarna 610 TE

Offline Munro39

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 04:07:10 pm »
So I have gone ahead with some work on the frame following advice from chopperpilot. I took the bike to a place called Cape Paint & Panel on Voortrekker road. They took a pillion handle from me and after 3 hours they had a mixture ready for me. They usually know exactly what to do with car colours, but they don't have bike colours on the system. The gent at the store told me he had to mix it by eye and showed me a sample on paper next to my pillion bar. He told me the mixture he made up was slightly darker and wasn't afraid to show me so - which I appreciated.

Anyway the difference was very slight to me so I told him to put it in the can. The paint is a Plascon Touch-Up that comes in a rattle can for around R270 and lasts for 4-6 coats depending how much of the frame you spray. They also put in a top coat can that was an additional R210 I think.

A lot had to be removed from the bike, but it really didn't require a huge amount of knowledge, and prepping the bike was probably the longest part of the job - being careful, it took me the afternoon to strip some pieces and cover up the bike.

A bit of light sanding and some rust treatment and cleaning left the frame ready for painting and it was pretty easy once that was underway. Looking back, I did make some mistakes which I am ok with - it was the first time I'd tried something like this. I was not cautious enough when covering the bike. I managed to keep all the non-frame parts free of paint, but the bags weren't secured well enough and stuck to the frame in some areas, leaving me with more work.

I get the need for the topcoat, but it left me with a more glass-like finish than what I was hoping for. Nonethless, I am happy with the touch-up job that cost just over R400. One day I might strip and powdercoat it all, but for now this has taken away all my nasty scratches and rust-spots left from the previous owner.

P.S. Sorry about the pictures - can't figure out how to get the orientation to upload the right way because its fine on my computer
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 04:23:22 pm by Munro39 »

Offline chopperpilot

• Afrikaans...Dis my taal! Engels...Dit verstaan ek ook!
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • "Jack of all Trades... Master of Some."
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 09:48:18 pm »
Well done! Looking good!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Current Bikes : KTM 990 R, KTM 500 XCW

End of an Era : Suzuki DR 650 SE, Husqvarna 610 TE