Marlboro II

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirtyHarry

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R80GS
I decided to open a new thread for my new bike. Even if all airheads share the basic genes, the highly modified ones are so unique, they have their own little stories to tell.

Before I do go deeper into the story of my new bike, I have to sort out a problem first. On a ride yesterday the engine was just dying without warning. I found out that one wire was broken off on the back of the ignition key. It was the power supply to the ignition lock. The dash was also dead. After a roadside repair, I had the dash working again and the starter was turning but the engine did not fire. I confirmed the obvious, there was no spark. One of my airhead mates had a brand new ICU in his luggage and I thought this would solve the problem, no, still no spark.
After going through all possible causes, I could not do more without a Voltmeter and took the bike home on the back of a bakkie.
Now I am at home with my Voltmeter at hand and I am busy checking all possibilities. There is power to the ICU, I checked that.
The bike does however have a history in not having a spark. The day I wanted to collect the bike in PE, it was also not running and it took us two days to get it running again. At this time we changed the coil, the plug cables, we changed the ICU and the bean can. There is not much more responsible for a spark that I can think of.
I am not so good with electrical problems, I am more the mechanically minded person
Where do I look next? Anyone had a similar problem?